What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Put mudguards on the Revolt.... Well, the LBS did.

They also fettled on the new Brooks Cambium saddle for it too :smile:
Er, the title of the thread is WHAT HAVE YOU FETTLED TODAY, not WHO DID YOUR FETTLING FOR YOU TODAY!!! :whistle::laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Follow-up to my afternoon of fettling ...

The new tyres are 25C which I chose to see if they were more comfortable on our rough local roads than the 23C that I normally ride. I was pretty shocked to see that I was supposed to pump them to between 100 psi and 130 psi! I don't even pump 23C tyres to 100 psi so I wasn't going to go that high on bigger tyres. (Generally speaking, the bigger the tyre, the lower the pressure needed.)

I put 95 psi in the back and 85 psi in the front and set off on my test ride. I only made it a couple of miles before feeling that both the bike and my body were getting shaken to bits by every bump in the road, and there are lots of them round here! I stopped and let some air out of each tyre. What a transformation! I felt much happier riding along after that. The tyres still rolled ok and I didn't feel that I was in any danger of getting pinch punctures.

I checked the pressures when I got home and found that I only had about 60 psi left in each tyre! I think that is probably a bit too low, so I am going to try 70 psi front and 80 psi rear next time. (I always put about 10 psi more in the rear than the front because more weight is on the rear of the bike and there is no point in letting more vibration through the bars than I have to.) If those pressures are ok, I might add another 5 psi or so and see how that goes. I find that there is usually a pressure 'sweetspot' which gives both good performance and reasonable comfort. That pressure is nearly always significantly lower than most people think it should be.

It was great riding with a new chain and cassette. The gear shifting was a lot better and the bike was quieter. I was still getting a slight ticking noise though, once per pedal stroke. I think that it is either due to a prematurely worn bottom bracket, or maybe to a slight burr on some teeth on the chainrings catching on the chain? I might take the rings off and file off the burrs to see if that helps. Well, at least the new chain doesn't slip on the old rings.

robjh

Legendary Member
Some minor emergency fettling at the roadside mid-commute this morning. The bolt that holds my rack onto the rear non drive-side dropout has worn loose, and seems to have stripped the thread from the hole so that it now turns endlessly without getting tighter. I had judged that it would hold for a few days but this morning was rattling like b*ggery so something had to be done.
I used a zip-tie to fix rack to frame, then a yard of gaffer tape to pull it tight and stop it rattling. Not a long-term fix but it'll see me through until I find a friendly bike-shop that can re-thread the hole. The joys of improvisation.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having been away I worked on the Ridgeback Platinum I'm taking to France for PBP:

- New rear brakes and front ones cleaned
- Cleaned, lubricated and greased all over ... hopefully that'll clear the annoying bottom bracket rattle that isn't the bottom bracket
- Navy blue paint applied to (numerous) chips
- Batteries in lights
- New bike computer batteries
- Kit set up for a PR photoshoot at work today.

Still to do:

- New cleats
- New GP4000s tyres to go on tomorrow eve

Last edited:
Put some more Sikaflex on a torn saddle trying to restore it, smoothing it over whilst it was setting. Oh I am a cheap skate! I am trying to keep some of it's originality. I need to find some flexible ivory coloured paint. It's looking a bit like a zebra at the moment.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last bit of PBP-related bike fettling:

On the Ridgeback: new GP4000s II tyres fitted - in black/blue they match the frame well, but not the red/black ITM wheelset.

However, the Ridgeback developed an alarming creaking at the bottom bracket end today; it looks greased enough and I'm not tempted to pull it apart 24 hours from leaving.

The Ultegra bottom bracket's under 1000 miles old so I think I'll chance it.

The final photo pre-PBP:

DSCF4001_zpsoyx6gk0j.jpg

@djb1971 - that's what I've done to your old frame. Ultegra/Dura-Ace components, Rizik R3 seatpost, Pearson carbon bars, ITM Aero wheelset. OK now?

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Picked up some supplies from the local bike shop: latex gloves, grease and electrical tape.

Or was that the local knocking shop (LKS)?
I forget which.

Touched in a load of scratches on my Raleigh i'll put some lacquer on tomorrow. picked up a wheel from a friend its got a few spokes missing,cleaned up the rear cluster with some Gunk,had to get a hacksaw blade to scrape off years of dried on oil and grit.

Top Bottom