What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slammed the stem on the Helium(well apart from a tiny spacer) to see what it's like now I'm a bit more flexible although it does look a tad ridiculous with a big pile of spacers on top.
Will see how it goes and if it's ok will get the LBS to cut the stem although I'm sort of tempted to have a proper bike fit there and a Fizik saddle fit as well.
Got to look at the left pedal as had some hassle clipping in yesterday but think the cleat itself may be foobard.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't quite understand that?
The shape of the gaps between the teeth should be the same everywhere on the cassette. The gaps on the big sprocket look fairly unworn, nice smooth curves. The gaps on the smaller sprockets look elongated - worn.

I've measured the chain, in metric it's 24.6cm for ten links so ready to change but shouldn't have destroyed the cassette.
Then it has 'anti-worn' - it has shrunk! :okay: (One pair of links should be an inch, or 2.54 cm so 10 pairs of links on a new chain should be 25.4 cm. Did you mean 25.6 cm?)

2 mm is actually a fair amount of wear over 10 pairs of links and it is hard to be precise in measuring to the nearest mm. it could even be a tad more than that.

The chain should have been replaced by now. It is just a question of how much it has worn the cassette. Sometimes new chains slip on cassettes that don't even look particularly worn, but I think from those 2 photos that your cassette does look worn. It would be easier to tell if I was looking at in real life in good light with my glasses on. I have just had to replace a cassette on one of my bikes because the chain started slipping, and it didn't look more worn than yours.

Anyway, as I said above - I reckon you have already passed the point of no return so you might as well carry on until you get a slipping chain and then replace everything.

NB A slipping chain could be nasty if you were standing out of the saddle and making a hard effort at the time so I would be careful climbing steep hills or sprinting. If you remain seated, then it is more annoying than dangerous.

ColinJ

Oh, and I had left it too long so it meant buying a new chain, new cassette, and new chainrings which cost me about £90. It would have cost less than £20 for the chain alone showing that it is a false economy to try to get maximum life from a chain!

I don't have anything to compare it to :smile: It's my first road bike :biggrin:

Tell me they are and that its crucial I buy a new cassette or bad things will happen!

I think the sprockets are okay it's the lighting that makes them look worn and that the teeth have a lead built in, the first tooth is different from the next and the next.

I cleaned two rusty chrome steel wheels with some wire wool and oil, one came up looking pretty good but the other one needs some more work on it.
Painted some white paint on the Raleigh saddle that I am trying to fix and was then told that the paint bottle had leaked onto the carpet of my wife's car. Spent the next half hour washing the paint off with some cellulose thinners and kitchen roll. Left the windows open for a few hours.

Tin Pot

Guru
NB A slipping chain could be nasty if you were standing out of the saddle and making a hard effort at the time so I would be careful climbing steep hills or sprinting. If you remain seated, then it is more annoying than dangerous.

I regard myself as a man of reason, but you sir have cast the Evil Eye on me, and are unaware of the strength of your powers.

I have had no problems of note to date this year, until today when climbing the 25% gradient at Church Hill where I stood up and wrenched the rear wheel out completely.

I don't know how I didn't fall.

Add to that, the chain coming off the granny ring three times!

What the...? @ColinJ put down the pins and effegy of my bike!!

Note to self: Learn how to put the bike back together before fettling again.

ColinJ

Oops ...! :blush::laugh:

As for jinxing ...:whistle:
I admit it - I am ColinJ-inx!

Svendo was slow in catching us. I said that perhaps he'd had a problem - he had - a puncture.

I was describing your mountain bike accident and said that I wouldn't want a carbon fibre mountain bike because of CF's catastrophic failure mode. A couple of moment's later, super-light Gordon (OldnSlow) who was on a super-light CF bike with CF this, CF that, CF the other, rode over a sleeping policeman and there was a loud CRACK! He had snapped the top of his extremely expensive CF seat post! He wasn't a happy chappy ...

Riding with Steve H, I described the problem I'd had with breaking a spoke on the Rochdale-Blackpool ride last year. Next thing - PING! Steve had broken a spoke!

I decided it was only fair to jinx myself too, so I spent some time talking about the Crud mudguards on my bike, plonked the bike down on the back one and snapped the end of it off!

Tin Pot

Guru
I think the sprockets are okay it's the lighting that makes them look worn and that the teeth have a lead built in, the first tooth is different from the next and the next.

I've looked at these again very closely, on one sprocket there seems to be a pattern:

In each group the teeth are noticeably different. I don't really have the vocabulary to describe the differences, but each group is identical leading me to think it could be by design.

In a Veloce cassette, should each tooth be identical?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've looked at these again very closely, on one sprocket there seems to be a pattern:

In each group the teeth are noticeably different. I don't really have the vocabulary to describe the differences, but each group is identical leading me to think it could be by design.

Is it a Veloce Cassette? I thought it was a Miche? Just looking closely at one, (9 speed) and virtually every tooth is slightly different. I would buy a new chain and try it, if it slips - so be it, but I think it may well be OK

I've looCriterion wasese again very closely, on one sprocket there seems to be a pattern:

I have just checked the rear cluster on my old Raleigh Criterium and have found that on each sprocket the thickness of each tooth varies in a batch of three. I think it is something to do with the idexing system.
It used to be a lot simpler to tell if sprokets were worn in the old days, if you saw a row of shark fins you knew that they needed replacing.

Top Bottom