What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Had a fiddle with the front derailleur on the Montpellier.

gbb

Legendary Member
Post ride this evening...
Quick clean of frame etc.
With Jay clocks post on headset maintenance in mind, remove wheels, remove cassette and axles, seals off the cartridge bearings, wipe and gave them a good oiling...yes oil. No harm should come to them, just possibly have to do it more often, no problem for me. Reassemble hubs, freehub, cassette.
Chain wiped oiled with chainsaw oil, wipe wipe wipe.
Cleaned chain set, rims etc.
3/4 hours work maybe, add 10 minutes to clean an oil spot off the kitchen rug that was nearby :blush:

Noticed the front bearings have a teeny bit of a knock as they rotate, but are still running very free.

I have been experimenting with ways of trying to make some water slide transfers for my brothers Holdsworth cycle. We have looked at the transfers already available but none of them have the right type of font.
I thought that I would try an old aero modeller technique of painting a clear varnish or lacquer onto the sticky side of some gummed paper. I first of all traced the letters as best I could and then photo copied them twice full size so that I could true them up by rectifying any mistakes. Seeing that his letters are gold metallic it posed a bit of a problem as not many printers can do metallic colours so I decided that I would have to paint them by hand. To see if I could copy onto the lacquered paper I sprayed several coats of clear onto some printer paper and let it dry. Once dry I put it in my ink jet copier having reduced the logo to the correct size and printed several copies. It worked sort of, the black outline was not quite dark enough but it gave me an opportunity to see if I could paint the gold on. I have since lacquered over the gold without it lifting or pickling. I now need to find someone that sells
IMGP4465 (2).JPG
IMGP2439 (2).JPG
A4 size gummed paper and do some more experiments. It is not quite there yet but is getting closer.

NeilM

Having decided my 1990's Trek 830 will work perfectly in it's reborn role as a tourer, yesterday I fitted the front and rear racks only to find that the super cheap Vaude panniers I got last week from a nice young lady in Bristol are a loose fit (13mm) on the 10mm tubes of the rack.

Unable to find any suitable inserts for the clamps, I today resolved the issue by cutting a couple of lengths of dead inner tube, wrapping them around the rack and securing them with a couple of small cable ties.

si_c

Guru
Straddle cable on the front brake of the purple pug was a little low, meaning braking wasn't so hot. Tightened it up a bit, which meant a new main brake cable as well as unwinding and retaping the bar tape on the right hand side. This last needed doing anyway as I'd done a piss poor job of wrapping it last time.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A puncture repair on an electric bike with rear hub motor and hub brake. A quick job it was not.:headshake:

All sorted though and I've been given a couple of bottles of beer for my trouble.:cheers:

Unsuccessfully trying to fit the saddle from my old MTB onto the road bike to fix a numb bum issue. No can do, the bracket that fixes the saddle to the seat post is integral to the saddle rails, so while I can unbolt the saddle from the seat post, it won't fit onto the road bike because there's a clodding great big lump of non-removable metal in the way.

New saddle it is, then...

Unsuccessfully trying to fit the saddle from my old MTB onto the road bike to fix a numb bum issue. No can do, the bracket that fixes the saddle to the seat post is integral to the saddle rails, so while I can unbolt the saddle from the seat post, it won't fit onto the road bike because there's a clodding great big lump of non-removable metal in the way.

New saddle it is, then...

MTB saddles look weird on road bikes anyway:whistle:.

Done some more stuff on the Helium today.

Fitted the calipers and tidied the internal cable outers which had become crossed under the bb;just got to wait for the bits to do the rest.

Oh and Ultegra calipers now on the other halfs Avail.

Top Bottom