What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went over the tyres on the XLS last night to remove flints and debris and fill in with the loctite elastic super glue also glued the cut in the IRC tyre which will be fitted to the Helium.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some non-cycle fettling:

I have a decent pair of Audio Technica headphones which I use when watching TV or listening to music late at night. My hearing is not brilliant so I tend to turn the volume up more than most people and I don't want to annoy my neighbours. (Yes, the ones that I hear screaming at each other every day! :okay:)

Anyway, I became aware of a subtle distortion on the left channel. It didn't make the headphones unusable but having noticed the problem I found myself getting distracted by it. It was a low level buzzing sound when loud sounds at certain frequencies were being reproduced.

I took the left channel 'earpiece' to bits and saw that some of the internal wiring was routed in a very haphazard fashion. It seemed very possible that one or more of the wires was vibrating against something else so I tidied up the wiring and reassembled the phones. Problem sorted! :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Fettled mudguard didn't survive a second day :sad: blu tac gave up its hold, but bodged it again with more blue tac once at work. Thought of a couple of other solutions which I will try tonight when I get home :rolleyes:

I know I could go buy another, but this is the second one that has gone, so I want it to hold out until I get around to getting some metal ones. (no me that will be some months away ^_^)

Leaway2

Lycrist
Fettled mudguard didn't survive a second day :sad: blu tac gave up its hold, but bodged it again with more blue tac once at work. Thought of a couple of other solutions which I will try tonight when I get home :rolleyes:

I know I could go buy another, but this is the second one that has gone, so I want it to hold out until I get around to getting some metal ones. (no me that will be some months away ^_^)
I have been trying to repair my front guard. I cut an inch or so from the guard and tried to bridge and join the two sections together, using this piece to hold the 2 sections together using hot glue. The plastic is very shiny, and difficult for glue to get a grip. It lasted a day also.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Angle adjustable stem installed on 'fair weather' bike to raise bars and use on turbo after hip replacement replaced with the original 90mm stem, as the adjustable stem moved to a lower position was creating a 120mm+ stem.

De-mudded bike, fixed new bottle cage and pump bracket to frame and tightened up the screws holding the rear reflector in place. Commute tomorrow, but Saturday's job will be fitting new saddle. Hope it fits my bum as well as my bike...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Busier day than planned:

The Eastway winter bike got a proper clean, new chain and cassette (both rusty) but the cassette wouldn't come off. It took myself and my 16 year old, him standing on the socket, to get it off. New front wheel bearings fitted as well to the Team 30 wheel.

Then my youngest's track bike got replacement tyres as his aren't valid at Manchester :wacko: - Rubino Pro Slick's fitted for Sunday.

Oh, and I finished cleaning all the floor tiles in the bike workshop (conservatory) so they look like new.

I'm supposed to be beginning the Wilier Montegrappa build but I'm too tired :surrender:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Mudguard still holding up - mind you I used a different bike today ^_^

Still had to fettle the saddle bag bracket as the bolt came loose, two cable ties from the post room soon sorted it. Did such a good job the other bikes are getting done tomorrow. :becool:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The knockabout bike has had a hard week of commuting so needed a good clean. It's white and blue again rather than a sandy brown.:okay:

It needs a better front mudflap to try and keep the worst of the mud off the bottom bracket so following a suggestion on here about damp proof course being a decent material to make these out of i've been out and got a roll to try. I've adjusted the fit of the front mudguard and made an extension for the existing mudflap which now brings it down to about an inch from the ground. It doesn't look too bad and if successful I'll make a more permanent one when the weather is warmer.

While I was at it I've also made a longer replacement mudflap for the Raleigh as the old one was getting very tatty. The Dawes will want one too but that can wait.

DSC0004257.jpg
Very mucky. Don't look @ianrauk.:whistle:

DSC0004259.jpg
Hopefully this will help.

Last edited:
Fitted my new saddle (Charge Ladle) to the bike. Original is now packed up in the wrapping the Charge came in.

While swapping the saddles over, found out I *do* have tilt adjustment on the seatpost after all. :blush: The bottom half of the bracket that holds the saddle in place has a convex profile and it sits in a corresponding concave channel on top of the seat post. Adjustment is made by loosening the bolt that joins all these pieces together and moving things around to suit. The bolt goes through a fore-aft slot underneath the seatpost, so there is actually quite a bit of adjustment there.

Feel a bit silly now as I didn't realise this until I'd fitted the new saddle and it ended up at a really weird angle instead of being level. :blush: It was when I was trying to sort that out that the penny finally dropped. :blush: It's nothing like on my MTB where there is a ratchet-y sort of hinge secured by a horizontal bolt. Ah well, live and learn. :laugh:

Took the bike out for a quick spin to the village and back to test the new saddle. First impression is that I'm sitting *on* it rather than *over* it, which is a distinct improvement. Riding position is a little bit different as noticed through slight stiffness in neck & shoulders. Still some tweaking needed, I think, as I originally didn't change any of the other variables. Have raised saddle height about 1/4 of an inch and dropped the nose down just a fraction, and we'll see how we go from there.

Top Bottom