What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The knockabout bike has had a hard week of commuting so needed a good clean. It's white and blue again rather than a sandy brown.:okay:

It needs a better front mudflap to try and keep the worst of the mud off the bottom bracket so following a suggestion on here about damp proof course being a decent material to make these out of i've been out and got a roll to try. I've adjusted the fit of the front mudguard and made an extension for the existing mudflap which now brings it down to about an inch from the ground. It doesn't look too bad and if successful I'll make a more permanent one when the weather is warmer.

While I was at it I've also made a longer replacement mudflap for the Raleigh as the old one was getting very tatty. The Dawes will want one too but that can wait.

View attachment 334274
Very mucky. Don't look @ianrauk.:whistle:

View attachment 334275
Hopefully this will help.

Neat job - are you going to do mail order?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Neat job - are you going to do mail order?
:laugh: Perhaps I should see how durable it is first.;)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
:laugh: Perhaps I should see how durable it is first.;)

I suppose, to use the business jargon, you haven't added enough value to the material to make it viable.

But this does remind me of a poster in the other place who sells home-made elasticated trouser bands, as in replacements for cycle clips.

The cutting and sewing is probably very easy for someone who has some skill in that area.

D

Deleted member 1258

Minor fettle tonight. Just before the lurgy struck me down I fitted new pedals and a new charge spoon saddle. When I rode for the first time Thursday the riding position wasn't quite right, tonight I lowered the saddle a millimetre or two, the old charge spoon had been on two bikes was well used and split, I recon it had sagged a bit, whilst I was doing that I noticed I had installed the saddle a bit further set back than I usually have it so I i set it forward by a couple of millimetres. I'll see how it feels tomorrow and fine tune if necessary.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Changed the saddle angle on a couple of bikes to make them very slightly less nose up - I've been meaning to do it for a while, but it's always been a case of "I'll do it before the next ride" and never got round to it. Also rotated the handlebars up on one of them by a very small amount.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Lowered the saddle on the Montpellier by about 4mm as I was getting a bit of pain in my left knee after about 20m miles or so. No worries on today's 35 miler.

iandg

Legendary Member
Changed from down-tube to bar-end shifters. Got hungry so I'll do the taping tomorrow.

16194977_10154956844762486_6023362014858518582_n.jpg

16114704_10154956844757486_6687616366374898100_n.jpg

Un-planned day off so finished off the cabling on the Helium;all set and ready for a test ride.

Build thread;

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ridley-helium-2017-re-build.212306/
Another un-planned day off so more fettling of the Helium.

Not really happy with the front mech set-up so startted again and after much fettling(and a bit of swearing)now have a much better set-up;will see how it goes with a test ride.

Oh and cables cut(still leaving room for adjustments) and crimped.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
fiddled with the barrel adjusters on both front and rear dérailleurs whilst in motion to cure a bit of chatter. Not sure if it was 'cos of all the mud but I got some rubbing at the front disc, wondered if the pistons were not reseating properly.

View attachment 335134

I'm thinking mudguards.

Hmmm. On today's ride the chatter was just not going away and I couldn't see anywhere the chain was rubbing so popped into a lbs en route. His diagnostics was probably bearings in the freehub gone. Carried on my way and stopped in the next town for a second opinion, without me saying anything he diagnosed the same and said for all the hassle of taking it out and trying to regrease I may as well replace it. Both shops I totally respect and trust their judgement. In fact the first one I got my very first 5 speed racer from about 35 years ago. Same guy running that one man operation too although he only does repairs now.

Top Bottom