What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
At training on Tuesday there was a weird burning smell. Convinced it wasn't from my 12yo (12 year old boys don't tend to burn well) I sat there with all the kids on their rollers - but the smell got worse. Eventually I realised his back brake was sticking ... so "that'll make the training harder" methinks.

Cue comments from the other parents around me so he got his brake adjusted:rolleyes:

His back brake was thoroughly cleaned, lubricated, re-fitted and now works fine ^_^

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At training on Tuesday there was a weird burning smell. Convinced it wasn't from my 12yo (12 year old boys don't tend to burn well) I sat there with all the kids on their rollers - but the smell got worse. Eventually I realised his back brake was sticking ... so "that'll make the training harder" methinks.
Ha ha!

I once did the 200 km Red Rose Ride, a local audax event. I suffered all day and eventually arrived back at the finish in Halifax, dismounted feeling totally knackered, and then realised that I could barely push the bike across the car park because the back brake was jammed on! :blush:

13 rider

Guru
New chain fitted to my giant roadie after in snapped last week . First one I've fitted without the quick link and used the Shimano pins that you snap off found it much easier than a quick link. Now have a couple of spare links in the saddle and pin for emergency's

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After my good deed fixing a puncture for someone else on thursday I've been rewarded with a puncture of my own.:dry:

Found the back tyre of the knockabout bike down to 30psi yesterday so investigated today and found this stuck right through (the thorn not the ruler ;)):
DSC0004247.jpg

That's the first time the Marathons have been defeated since I've been using them.

While the tyre was off I took the opportunity to true the wheel. It's something I didn't do when the wheel was new and I regretted it as it turned out to have quite a wobble in. It now runs perfectly straight so no more dragging brake.^_^

Edit to correct: I forgot about this previous puncture on the Raleigh in 2015 so it's actually the second time I've had thorn through a Marathon. Still pretty good going.:okay:

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Lubed the chain on the Forme mtb after this mornings ride. Poor girl was feeling a bit neglected recently so took her out for a spin. Oh and turned the barrel adjuster for the rear mech a quater turn anti-clockwise, this was done whilst on the move.:okay:
Hi, what's Forme like as a brand, I see from another thread they have some older bikes at bargain prices?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi, what's Forme like as a brand, I see from another thread they have some older bikes at bargain prices?

As a rule I don't really know. They only set up in 2010 (I think) and I bought the mtb in 2011. For the price I paid I got a pretty reasonable group set. They definitly saved the money on the forks, Suntour coil spring that weigh a bit.

This model was only made that one year. Tbh I wouldn't buy this one again but I can't speak for the brand.

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's new chain fitting during the test ride the gears jumped a bit but not too bad . Tried a test ride on some proper climbs and the gears are really jumping in the lower gears trying to change on there own . So back home and on spinning the wheel found a link would step out on the jockey wheel every few turns . Joined the chain with the Shimano pins you break off but could not tell if this was the link . So having some spare links I removed the problem link and rejoined the chain and now everything seems ok fingers crossed

Tojo

Über Member
Had to tighten front an rear cables on the new bike which I have just got....nearly 5 mm of slack on the rear, so much for the dealer taking 2 hours to make sure it was correct, after telling them I would do it myself (I am a level 2 cycle mechanic, and they know so)...they said they had to do it for the warranty....Bollocks , I had to readjust the stops on both shifters as well and they hadn't even pumped the tyres up to anywhere near the right pressure....I did get 10% of though....:okay::cuppa:

Stevec047

Über Member
Yesterday I decided to strip the old steel front fork down and replace it with a used carbon/alloy version I purchased very cheap.

Pretty glad I did as the corrosion on the old one is pretty bad.

Thoroughly cleaned the inside of the steerer tube and regreased the cartridge set up before mounting the nuesd fork.

Set up the new Shimago front brake which came with the fork at the same time must say this is a vast improvement to the original.

All I need to do know is cut the steerer down to size and I am ready to ride.

Question is do I stuck with the original carbon fork paint scheme or do I go and wrap it in something closer to the frames colour scheme? IMG_20170112_193112_512.jpg 20170115_121148.jpg 20170115_122926.jpg 20170115_130626.jpg 20170115_185313.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a noisy ride on the wet bike last night, I decided to tackle the troublesome front mudguard which has rubbed since day one. After the gentle application of heat it was well and truly knackered, to the point the wheel didn't even turn... Completely deliberate of course:whistle::whistle:
On the plus side the local Halfords had Raceblades on the shelf, so we're ready to go again:smile:

Top Bottom