What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
IMG_3317.JPG

Grandsons balance bike fettled, hubs lubed, and a few strokes of white paint to spruce it up a bit.

Using a 2mm long Allen key, I removed massive amounts of crud from between the sprockets. Ugh!

Colin_P

Guru
Snap.. I thought I had a tool but it's evidently not for these Maillards. So as I want the hub more than the fw, it is going to have to go to work and into the big engineers vice, whereupon the freewheel will be exploded by brute force and the threaded part removed

Interesting.

I'm sure taking it to your LBS and bunging them a fiver would be safer if you really want to keep the hub.

I think when mine wears out, i'll do that and then fit a new one for which I do have the tool.

The hub is safe doing this, basically you just crush the freewheel and either it all compresses together and you can unscrew it or as once happened everything goes *BANG*, pawls and bearings fly everywhere at high velocity bagging at least 3 brace of pigeons

Did it a couple of weeks ago on another wheel after killing nor one but two different 2-prong Suntour freewheel remover tools trying to do it "properly". The hub is fine. The freewheel is of course deceased. It is an ex freewheel and has ceased to be

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The hub is safe doing this, basically you just crush the freewheel and either it all compresses together and you can unscrew it or as once happened everything goes *BANG*, pawls and bearings fly everywhere at high velocity bagging at least 3 brace of pigeons

Did it a couple of weeks ago on another wheel after killing nor one but two different 2-prong Suntour freewheel remover tools trying to do it "properly". The hub is fine. The freewheel is of course deceased. It is an ex freewheel and has ceased to be
Why not just unscrew the 'freewheel' ring, everything will just fall off the leaving the centre bit to be unscrewed in the vice.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I played with my lemon of a fixie today: It is now a drop bar, with blue tape and a rear brake. Also I stuck on a new chainring as the old one was rusted to a frightening degree.

Previously I grabbed a Gipiemme Pista rear wheel for £25 from PX when I diagnosed the rattle in the current rear wheel as the better part of a spoke nipple (can't tell which spoke it is, so maybe an old one - but they all look equally rusted - can these things fail gracefully?).

I got the lockring off and found my chainwhip is the wrong speed(?) to whip it off so may have to use the reverse rotolock when I find time. I was also surprised to find you need a tool of some sort to get the freewheel off - so I am still using the old wheel for now. It would have been fixed, but I took a spacer off along with the lockring and it vanished!

I now need to think of a way of getting the non drive crank off as I have threaded it, and the pedal seems welded in there. I have one to stick on, and I really want to ride fixed with SPDs.

I quite enjoyed the test run tonight, but I wonder if it now looks more of a target given the reduced rust spot count. It will always be a lemon to me.

I fitted an adjustable stem to Mrs Salad's mountain bike today. Hopefully this will banish the complaints about the riding position being uncomfortable. Yeah, of course it will.......

Can you see what it is yet?
I was feeling in a bit of a making mood this afternoon. I had a couple of ceramic shower mixer tap inserts that I had changed lying around and thought I might be able to modify them to make a brake cable end stop.
So using a few hand tools, drill, a small vice, and some files I set about trying to make one. It worked! It might be slightly smaller diameter wise but it achieves what I want from it.
Thanks Biggsy for your kind offer of getting me some. Once I started I couldn't stop.
IMGP6116.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP6113.JPG
    IMGP6113.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP6114.JPG
    IMGP6114.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 48

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a mini-tour on my CAADX recently but had given up trying to bodge my old rack on before going (it didn't fit straight on because the rear disk brake was in the way). Instead, I carried my stuff in a large and correspondingly heavy rucksack. I swore to myself that I wouldn't make that mistake again ... Racks and panniers were invented for a reason!

A mate bought the old rack off me for £15 and I was able to find THIS rack designed with extra clearance for disk brakes. I got it for £14.99 so I was 1p up! :okay: (The price has since gone up but is still a good deal.) I also bought a new chain for my singlespeed bike to boost the total to over £20 to qualify for free postage. I will fit the chain to the other bike tomorrow.

I just fitted the rack and am looking forward to using it on my next overnight trip.

CAADX rack top view.jpg

CAADX rack another view.jpg

CAADX rack side view.jpg

Sold a hybrid to a lady whose son had outgrown his 650 Triban 3, but her son now being taller than her, she wanted to use his old bike but with flat bars.

Should be fairly nippy for a town bike I reckon

Triban-3-Conversion.jpg

It came with this wrapped round it that was getting in the way while working on it. 30 seconds flat, and I reckon I'm slow. Combination locks are crap!

Lockbreak.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

New saddle on my Eastway, plus a clean and regrease of the saddle post. I also stripped, cleaned and regreased the headset, its still noisy though, that dispite no free play and smooth operation. It looks like I'm going have to check other places to track down the noise.

Top Bottom