What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

The 10-speed chain on my singlespeed bike was not super-worn, but I was having to take up too much slack with the chain tensioner so I put a new chain on. I have decided to put cheap 8-speed chains on now and change them more frequently.

I had put a very cheap (sub £10) headset on my DIY singlespeed but it turned out to be a false economy - I could never get it smooth without being overtight***. I ended up binning it. The replacement was a cheapish Ritchie costing about double the price and it works really well.

*** The reason being that the top, er, cup (?) was undersized so not a tight fit. I could actually push it in by hand without the use of tools!

Noise started again when I was out Thursday, I'd crossed the city before it started. Investigating the noise whilst I was out revealed that the noise wasn't coming from the headset, I was convinced it was, something in my tool roll was banging against the seat tube post clamp, turning the tool roll round in the saddle bag during my coffee stop produced silence on the way home. :wacko:

I think today was my last TT for the year so I transferred the power meter to the road bike to see how easy it is to transfer.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
A bit of gentle wheel tweaking.

image.jpeg

The Sensor is starting to look all nice and shiny...

01.jpg

New rims and new brake blocks, none of that chrome and leather lethal nonsense!

02.jpg

Ran out of brake outer so could only do the rar...through the hole waiting for the computer to be repaired and slotted in

03.jpg

Microadjust seat post and a more modern and not worn out seat from a B'Twin that someone wanted a wider saddle on.
Brake outer tomorrow then just waiting for the orange bar tape to arrive - since white gets loppy and the seatpost is black, may as well follow the decal contrast with orange

04.jpg

Then put the stem and bars on this....I swear my house is turning into a late 80s / early 90's Raleigh dealership! Mmmmmm...Biopace! :biggrin:

01.jpg

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Picked up some new specialized inner tubes. Ive also got some Kool Stop Dura 2 brake pads that i'll be putting in, They are like a mix of their black and salmon but all rolled into one brake block/pad

Colin_P

Guru
My old gas pipe carbolite pug, which I cannot bare to part with is getting some time, effort and cash thrown at it. Having got it out of the shed a few weeks back I've been messing about on it and realised what a fine riding machine it is. I've got a modern briftered road bike which although nice is totally impractical as there is no chance, I've tried, of putting mudguards on it. Then there is the new'ish mountain which is a bit of a one trick pony and will also be hopelessly uncompy during the winter. I have my mainstay hybrid which is fully mudguarded and has rack and panniers as my main and go to bike. To supplement that the Pug is getting an overhaul.

Having dusted the old Pug off and knowing it is nothing at all special I started, as you do, ebaying in the search for a mid 80's 501 road frame or bike and quickly came to the concluson of nope, I'll keep the Pug.

One thing that struck me though on the old Pug was that I'm currently not in a fit state, and never will be due to my heart, to push the very high gearing. A 52/42 up front and a 12/24'ish 5 speed out back was fine when I was younger but not now.

The joy of having lots of bikes and bikes bits laying around is that you can mess about and trial fit stuff.

So, here are my plans...

1, Frame; previously I'd stripped it down and sprayed it satin black which I really like. I'm going stay with that but I've ordered a set of period correct frame decals for it. It is a lowly carbolite Pug but I'm not shy about it. I've also successfully spread the rear dropouts to accpet a modern cassette rear wheel.

2, Wheels; going are the old Malliard freewheel jobbies and on are going an old set of cassette road wheels I just happened to have laying around. The shame is the new (old) wheels are black and the old (old) 5 speed freewheel wheels were shiny shiny aluminium.

3, Gearing; new front and rear MTB acera (nothing special) derailleurs will be replacing the current simplex items. A 22/32/42 MTB crank is going on, which is interesting as the small front on the bike currently is a 42! Out back it will be an 8 speed 11/32. I'm keeping the trusty downtube shifters and hopefully there will be enough cable throw for the triple and 8 speed at the back.

4, Brakes; I am keeping the Weinmann duel "suicide" levers. I love them, always have and always will, child of the 70's and all that. But I am retiring the Weinmann 500 calipers and will be fitting a set of the Tektro A559 long reach 'nutted' duel pivots.

5, Mudguards; a new set of SKS thermoplastics will be going on.

6, Rear rack; I just happen to have a Pletcher 'rat trap' rack which is a period correct looking thing. Again, not the best but I love them and anyone of a certain age will instantly recognise them. I will be deep / machine polishing this to make it shiny shiny.

7, Other; a new jagwire cable set is on order, new bar tape and I might, might get and fit, depending on clearance once everything is fitted up put another period correct item on it, a Pletcher kick stand !

I'll update as and whenn bits arrive and I make any progress.

One question though....

With it being an 80's road frame on which I'm attempting to fit modern MTB gearing to I'm a bit conflicted about bottom bracket length and the chainline. I've put an old sealed BB in it as a trial fit (instead of the old axle, cup and cone setup) and also temporarily fitted a worn out mtb triple to see what's what. This is gives me a chain line of about 52mm so I know i'll probably need a different BB. Obviously I'll need to make the final measurements when the new triple and derailleur is fitted but what chainline should I aim for? 45mm as typical for a road triple or 47.5-50mm as is typical for an mtb? It is 68mm shell if that is any help.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you're going for a new crank then an HT2 triple will slip on a treat, I had one on an Equipe of similar vintage (that currently has a 105 double HT2 on it) and later fitted that crank to a 531 Road Ace from 82.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Yikes, that is a lot of bits.

image.jpeg

The picture only shows the big bits. Those, plus a lot of smaller ones combine to make a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. The pawls and springs seem OK to an amateur and the little oil can is loaded up with EP-90 gearbox oil. All I have to do now is get it back together. The only other one of these I have done, I oiled everything as I reassembled. It is still working now so it'll be the same with this one.

Yes, that is the kitchen and my wise and beautiful wife is amazing!

Messing about with some more upgrades to the XLS:Lauf Grit forks cut to length:blink: and fitted,11-speed cassette and chain and then messing with Schwalbe X-One tyres and Halo Vapour wheels(with a nice zippy superdrive hub).

IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG

Still some adjustments required on the drivetrain but inital test drive was good:thumbsup: .

Oh and need to move the left brake lever to match the shifter and will have to get some longer hose for the front brake as it's on the short side.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Yikes, that is a lot of bits.

View attachment 374355

The picture only shows the big bits. Those, plus a lot of smaller ones combine to make a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. The pawls and springs seem OK to an amateur and the little oil can is loaded up with EP-90 gearbox oil. All I have to do now is get it back together. The only other one of these I have done, I oiled everything as I reassembled. It is still working now so it'll be the same with this one.

Yes, that is the kitchen and my wise and beautiful wife is amazing!
Good fettling :okay:

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Messing about with some more upgrades to the XLS:Lauf Grit forks cut to length:blink: and fitted,11-speed cassette and chain and then messing with Schwalbe X-One tyres and Halo Vapour wheels(with a nice zippy superdrive hub).

View attachment 374380 View attachment 374381 View attachment 374382 View attachment 374383

Still some adjustments required on the drivetrain but inital test drive was good:thumbsup: .

Oh and need to move the left brake lever to match the shifter and will have to get some longer hose for the front brake as it's on the short side.
Beautiful bike there, @Elybazza61 .

Top Bottom