What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Following a recent soaking wet ride with @EasyPeez and @Supersuperleeds my 'fettle' today was the fitting of a front mudflap.

As you can see, it's a fearful bodge, made of a ready meal tray and, er, bodge tape.

Rigidity is about right - pending a road test - and the flap finishes about five inches off the ground.

My hope is it will last at least long enough to give me an idea if the size is about right.

Being rubbish at making stuff, I will then consider lashing out a tenner or so on a ready made flap.

View attachment 374982

I'd be proud of that as well. I haven't made a mud flap for ages, usually I'd cut one out of a washing up liquid bottle or a plastic milk carton.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suspect - leaving bodging aside - a front flap would need to be wider at the bottom than my creation.

This is what I will probably end up buying.

http://rawmudflap.uk/product/original-black-mudflap/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Eleven quid! I'd be making one from a milk carton

Without betraying any ride confidences you do describe yourself as being careful with money, although you were quick to put your hand in your pocket at our cafe stops.

SJS has a wider price range of flaps.

Needless to say, I'm tempted by the £19.99 Gilles Berthoud leather one - it would match my Brooks Aged saddle.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards-mudflaps/

Following a recent soaking wet ride with @EasyPeez and @Supersuperleeds my 'fettle' today was the fitting of a front mudflap.

As you can see, it's a fearful bodge, made of a ready meal tray and, er, bodge tape.

Rigidity is about right - pending a road test - and the flap finishes about five inches off the ground.

My hope is it will last at least long enough to give me an idea if the size is about right.

Being rubbish at making stuff, I will then consider lashing out a tenner or so on a ready made flap.

View attachment 374982

An old mouse mat trimmed to size and attached via a couple of discreet holes drilled in the existing mudguard might be a bit more aesthetically pleasing...

midlife

Guru
An old mouse mat trimmed to size and attached via a couple of discreet holes drilled in the existing mudguard might be a bit more aesthetically pleasing...

Especially if you carefully select your mouse mat :smile:

41teoAZYRGL._SY300_.jpg

Buck

Guru
After a week or so of grumbles with the gears I decided to replace the cables (including the brakes whilst I was at it) and fitted a new chain and mudguards to get it ready for winter!

New gear cables
New barrel adjusters
New brake cables
New bar tape
New Chain
Fitted mudguards

#phew

Jason

Really pleased to have fitted full length mudguards to the hybrid. This makes her the full time commuter,and general purpose machine. The 30 deg riser stem arrived yesterday,so that also got fitted .Time sort of ran away from me,and yet to test ride the new configuration. Hoping to get out in the morning, before the family stirs.

gbb

Legendary Member
New 10 speed chain on today...old one (sram) was embarrassingly 1% worn in places so the time of reckoning has arrived...will it skip and I need a cassette as well....no, all was well.
Trying to remember if this is the 3rd or 4th chain on this bike. Probably the 3rd but I've had the bike some time and cant believe it was only on its second...even though I had a couple years off the bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

A bike fettling morning for me today. My fixed, which is my winter bike, got brought out of the shed. Washed, polished, had a new front tyre fitted and the old front moved to the rear, old rear tyre wasn't as worn as they normally are after two years on the bike and has been put in the shed as a spare. It also got a new chain fitted, the old one was getting noisy towards the end of last winter, the cog is showing signs of wear now and it looks like it'll need replacing next year. I also gave the geared bike its usual weekly check, noticed the front brake blocks are getting a bit worn now so took them out and gave them a clean then adjusted the brakes.

Top Bottom