What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally fitted a rear reflector to the CGR (that I bought in March) *
I'd tried to get one in local shops, asked various (local) Club contacts if anyone had one on broken mudguard, all to no avail
I'd ordered one, via 'the net', but it was angled wrongly, & would have sat almost on top of the mudguard

However, whilst looking for something else in the shed, I found one:hyper:
It's fairly small, but correctly angled (but no bolt)

Thus, two small holes drilled, & another screw used, complete with Coppergrease, it's in situ
Ribble. CGR. 16.JPG

Plus, I pulled the brake-pads, to check on wear-rates, as I've had the bike since March
They all seem okay (rears shown)
Ribble. CGR. 17.JPG

Last job was to wipe the chain-rings, derailleurs & cassette with petrol, to get any muck off
(chain was 'dieseled' on Sunday)

*I have got a pair of reflective mudflaps on the bike, that are maybe 20 times the surface area, so I wasn't 'in the dark'

Last edited:
new mudguards fitted , bargain at £19.95 I thought
IMG_0795.JPG

Jason

After mudguard installation,there has been a noise coming from the crank area (under load),and I couldn't locate it on 2 previous social rides. Today I went up and down my road,testing,adjusting,removing front mudguard,rear guard(you get the gist),in an effort to track it down.
And finally realised the rear wheel wasn't seated properly when I had removed it to fit said rear guard .... Adjusted front and rear derailleurs after that and finally a near silent bike.
Took 2 hours and a lot of swearing,but learned a lot :-)

After mudguard installation,there has been a noise coming from the crank area (under load),and I couldn't locate it on 2 previous social rides. Today I went up and down my road,testing,adjusting,removing front mudguard,rear guard(you get the gist),in an effort to track it down.
And finally realised the rear wheel wasn't seated properly when I had removed it to fit said rear guard .... Adjusted front and rear derailleurs after that and finally a near silent bike.
Took 2 hours and a lot of swearing,but learned a lot :-)
I had an odd noise that I couldn't track down on the CGR, I was even on the point of taking the stem off, or unbolting the bars, to see if there was a washer loose inside
I only noticed when washing it, that the mudguard - chainstay bridge bolt was loose, & the 'guard was knocking against the frame:banghead:
Cue 'star-washers' on the inner faces of the 'guards^_^

LiamW

Fettled my 9 speed campag wheel to work with my 10 speed Tiagra levers & Ultegra 10 speed rear mech on the winter bike.

Funny enough I had fitted a 10 speed shimano on a set of Ultegra wheels and it didn't work, so now I've the campag/shimano mix that works quite well.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Just re greased the pedals of my 50's Raleigh Roadster.

View attachment 375546 View attachment 375547

First time in the 2 years plus I have owned it.
I have a pair of Union U41, that need fettling, but I cant see how the end cap come off (if it does). I don't want to damage them.

Jason

I had an odd noise that I couldn't track down on the CGR, I was even on the point of taking the stem off, or unbolting the bars, to see if there was a washer loose inside
I only noticed when washing it, that the mudguard - chainstay bridge bolt was loose, & the 'guard was knocking against the frame:banghead:
Cue 'star-washers' on the inner faces of the 'guards^_^

funny enough, I was thinking about adding a split ring or star washer to stop crown bolt working loose :-)

si_c

Guru
New front disc pads fitted, and cleaned the bike thoroughly. Realised I haven't done it for a couple of months, so that's well over 1500miles :ohmy:. Also tightened the rear brake up a touch and raised the saddle by about 5mm, still trying to get the bike perfectly dialled in, mostly there, just a few tweaks left, will probably drop the handlebars a touch at some point and see how that feels.

Top Bottom