What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
Raised and moved back the saddle on the mtb that my boy now uses. He has pretty much recovered from a bad broken leg in May and I'm hoping he'll become as keen as he was beforehand, and I took the bike he crashed for myself. He's thirteen, but touching six feet tall and with legs already as long as mine. Screen-addicted teenagers need exercise too.

:ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fixed a deflation event on my flat-bar Ribble. And had an unsuccessful fettle of the e-bike.
The seatpost was slipping down, so I took the QR off and fitted a nut and bolt.
The seatpost still slips, only now I couldnt raise it again because I didn't take the spanner...
Doh!

si_c

Guru
Unwanted deflation on the way into work today (spare bike normally on turbo. Main bike in LBS) tyre on the back had lots of cuts through to the casing.

New schwalbe lugano fitted to replace the Bontrager. Tube patched and replaced in saddle bag.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Last night: almost finished upgrading the Croix de Fer brakes from BB5 to TRP Spyre. So far: rotors fitted, calipers fitted and aligned, new compressionless brake cables fitted, everything connected up. Only thing left to do is retape the bars

raleighnut

Legendary Member
New tyres on the Forme mtb and then re-cabled the brakes on the Pearson and reapplied the bar tape. I did this all a few weeks ago but used gear cable outer instead of brake cable outer. This can apparently cause problems due to the different ways the steel wire that is part of their construction runs through them.
7 speed upwards it'll begger up the indexing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Single speed and I think you may have read it the wrong way round. I used gear housing for the brakes.
:eek: now that is dangerous.

D

Deleted member 1258

A minor fettle and a bit of an adventure this afternoon. My replacement bottom bracket arrived this morning and was fitted this afternoon. A bit of an adventure as it was the first time I'd fitted a Hollowtech, a nice straight forward job no surprises, though the old one appeared to be gorilla tight, took half an hour including cleaning the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpsmith

Veteran
Stripped, cleaned and re-greased the Zonda front wheel. Was rough from not being done previously. If I had known how simple it was, they would have been done already!

Will test Ride and then look at the back one, ready for taking the Carbon rims off after "Summer" has gone.

Leaway2

Lycrist
[QUOTE 4946080, member: 43827"]Unable to ride this week so I am trying to finish off the conversion of my old Sun Mass Start to a single speed. Just cut down the bars and fitted them with some old garish check bar tape off a long gone bike. Tasteless but I like it.

I was going to put alloy wheels on it but the old steel wheels look so good after a clean-up, and are not very heavy, that I'll stick with them and carry on playing the braking lottery.
[/QUOTE]
AAAAAAHHHHH my eyes

Wheeled my old, 1984 10 speed roady out of the shed, last used about four years ago.

I've always maintained it so a quick dust off, bit of oil on the chain, two new tyres and tubes and off I went.

It is nothing special, just a Peugeot carbolite frame, a compfy for me massive 25" frame, with basic simplex gears. It does have a quaint Malliard freewheel which will never come off as the removal tool is rarer than hens teeth. And the weinman brakes complete with suicide levers are scary. We coped with them back in the day, you just have to ride like you are in an oil tanker and start braking about three miles before you want to stop.

Love the bike though, it is not going to sit in the shed for as long again.

Snap.. I thought I had a tool but it's evidently not for these Maillards. So as I want the hub more than the fw, it is going to have to go to work and into the big engineers vice, whereupon the freewheel will be exploded by brute force and the threaded part removed

This is the brute force bit of fettling currently underway......
P1030956.JPG

And this is the more precision, technical bit of fettling where old batteries have rotted the contacts. Hi-tech, innit :biggrin:

P1030959.JPG
P1030961.JPG

Top Bottom