What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dbeattie

Über Member
Put a red reflector on my rear mudguard so that's me legal now.

An enforced fettle tonight. Put my bike on the turbo and noted that I wasn't getting the top two gears. On closer inspection the cable had come slightly out of the barrel adjuster. The only way I could get it back in was to loosen the cable (screw in the barrel adjuster and derailleur adjuster). Of course that meant I had to reindex the gears :blush:

Fettled and delivered this..erm..."beauty"

Actually...it rode really nicely after a full "back to frame and fork" service. Wouldn't ride it daily myself or take it off-roading but I like to think the buyer got a usable bike for £60 - and better carefully assembled with fresh grease than it would have come out of Halfords
(then just gave the £57 after eBay commission to https://www.facebook.com/WellSmallAnimalRescue/
Sigh...guess this is why I'll never be rich
00.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fettled my old Aldi SPD shoes. I did quite a bit of walking in them on my recent Bay Way holiday and the soles ended up coming loose.

The shoes are pretty tatty but they are very comfortable so I decided to do a DIY repair. I paid about £2.75 for a tube of 'Shoe Glu' on eBay and stuck the soles back on a couple of days ago, then left the glue to dry.

I haven't ridden in them since then but the bond seems good so I don't think that there will be a problem. Even if the repair only lasts the rest of the year then it will have been worthwhile. (I still have plenty of glue left so I could stick the soles back on again if I had to, as long as the glue hasn't set solid in its tube by then.)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fettled and delivered this..erm..."beauty"

Actually...it rode really nicely after a full "back to frame and fork" service. Wouldn't ride it daily myself or take it off-roading but I like to think the buyer got a usable bike for £60 - and better carefully assembled with fresh grease than it would have come out of Halfords
(then just gave the £57 after eBay commission to https://www.facebook.com/WellSmallAnimalRescue/
Sigh...guess this is why I'll never be rich
View attachment 370848
:bravo:

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Dismantled, regressed and reassembled both hubs on the Tern - they were a bit dry. Never done it before but bought some cone spanners from the local Mica hardware shop (£4.49 for a pair vs £12.99 in the LBS - exact same Silverline set...), watched a couple of YouTube videos and voila.... perfect running hubs!

Now to tackle the noisy gears...

Colin_P

Guru
Wheeled my old, 1984 10 speed roady out of the shed, last used about four years ago.

I've always maintained it so a quick dust off, bit of oil on the chain, two new tyres and tubes and off I went.

It is nothing special, just a Peugeot carbolite frame, a compfy for me massive 25" frame, with basic simplex gears. It does have a quaint Malliard freewheel which will never come off as the removal tool is rarer than hens teeth. And the weinman brakes complete with suicide levers are scary. We coped with them back in the day, you just have to ride like you are in an oil tanker and start braking about three miles before you want to stop.

Love the bike though, it is not going to sit in the shed for as long again.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Wheeled my old, 1984 10 speed roady out of the shed, last used about four years ago.

I've always maintained it so a quick dust off, bit of oil on the chain, two new tyres and tubes and off I went.

It is nothing special, just a Peugeot carbolite frame, a compfy for me massive 25" frame, with basic simplex gears. It does have a quaint Malliard freewheel which will never come off as the removal tool is rarer than hens teeth. And the weinman brakes complete with suicide levers are scary. We coped with them back in the day, you just have to ride like you are in an oil tanker and start braking about three miles before you want to stop.

Love the bike though, it is not going to sit in the shed for as long again.

A picture would be nice. :-)

Lol, I went to a road race today and a mate who was racing was doing so with a lose brake caliper. (He finished a great 10th despite this). I gave him my multi tool, only to find the cap on the 5mm hex was seized (glad I never had a road mechanical my self). So tonight's fettling was soaking the tool in wd40 for a few hours and then removing the cap with a pair of pliers :blush:

Last edited:
Top Bottom