What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stripped, cleaned, put back together with fresh grease and cables..this from when Decathlon didn't use other brand names, specced their bikes well enough but drew their styling and colour schemes from 1973

R1.jpg

I feel like I'm generating more power and sustainable power on the nose of my TT saddle even though it has no nose. So minor fettling was undertook and the saddle moved forward 5mm.

I've been doing a bit of recycling today by swapping some rear sprockets around. Yesterday I discovered that a wheel I bought on E wouldn't fit in the frame due to it having 6 sprockets.
I removed the 6 speed sprockets and fitted that to another wheel which I then fitted into my Albion which now works fine.
I then cleaned up an old 5 speed which was on a discarded wheel and fitted that to the wheel which had the 6 speed to start with and now that should fit in the frame.
A picture of my Albion with the wheel fitted. It looked nice glowing in the sunshine
IMGP5267.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP5263.JPG
    IMGP5263.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP5264.JPG
    IMGP5264.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP5265.JPG
    IMGP5265.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 47

si_c

Guru
Cleaned up and fixed the brakes on the turbo bike, the front brake hangar needed replacing after a vehicular incident in february, and the cables had gone all horrible and manky after being soaked and not cleaned properly, and then sweated on. Replaced the rear cable entirely, and adjusted the brakes (centrepulls) to be a bit better feeling at the lever. Used the old rear cable to replace the front as most of it was relatively ok as the section I needed had been in cable housing anyway. Both brakes should now be sufficient if I need to press the bike into use as a spare.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Fettled finishing touches of my best bike for a week in the Pyreneas in 4 weeks time: glued front Vittoria Pave tub (finish it off tomorrow), new rubber on spare wheels (Pro race 4 on Shamal Ulta clinchers in case carbon tubs misbehave). Cables all replaced. Perfect indexing. All I need to do now is purchase a spare mech hanger and spare carbon brake pads.....plus train like f**k for the next 3 weeks.

si_c

Guru
Heavy rain the other day had washed the lube out of the chain, and on the way home it had started to skate over the sprockets, checked it, and just past .75 @ 3000km. Replaced today with a new SRAM chain, and washed down and cleaned the whole drivetrain and the frame, then relubed all the pivots and the jockey wheels on the derailleurs.

wonderdog

Sidled with good intent (as removed from cycled) past the mixte frame that's been hanging on the hoist for the past month. Barked knuckles tightening the front wheel into the forks. Cussed, spat and remonstrated with self a little over the use of a BSF spanner on a metric nut and retreated into warm house. Heart's just not in it. We've had up to minus nine in the past month and there's a lot to be said for an open fire and a bucket of armagnac. Spring, I'm reliably informed, is just around the corner.

Alex1982

Not for the bike for me

Velobici gilet
Velobici snood
Castelli bib shorts (sigma sale)
Castelli leg warmers
Chpt3 rocka jacket

D

Deleted member 1258

A minor fettle on my Eastway this afternoon. Doing my weekly check and noticed a little bit of play in the rear wheel bearings, so had the wheel out and tightened them up, whilst putting the wheel back in I noticed a little bit of run out on the rim, got the spoke key out and sorted that out, then realized I'd disturbed the rear mudguard and then had to sort that out. Now back to running sweet as normal.

Erudin

Veteran
Discovered the Shimano LX freehub on my Thorn Audax bike had seized when I checked it a few months after last using it in the winter. Removed the seals and flushed it with some GT85, which got it moving but it still felt rough.

I made a freehub disassembly tool out of a 13/16" socket (£2.35 off Ebay) following RJ the Bike Guy's YouTube guide. Opened up the freehub and found the outer set of freehub bearings were black and misshaped, so replaced them with some new 1/8" ball bearings and White Lightning Crystal Clear Grease.

Attachments

• IMG_2658 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_2658 (600 x 450).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2662 (450 x 600).jpg
    IMG_2662 (450 x 600).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally got round to fitting the tyres, brake discs & cassette to the spare/winter set of wheels for the Spa Elan and changedthe cassette on the currently fitted ones to a 12-25 for a close set of ratios (11 speed)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IMG_20170820_160256888.jpg

The garage.

All swept, various bits tidied away, freezer moved and initial sorts done, similar things grouped with similar, and bikes stowed neatly with room for one more that will be returning home soon. Over the winter we might get around to doing a proper sort and decide which of the six wheels and dozen tyres are worth hanging on to. And organise things so that each bike can go out on a ride without worrying about whether it's got spare bits.

I now need to learn how to ride the PDQ recumbent, and fix the 8-speed Brompton so that I can pop off and tour when I feel like it.

Top Bottom