What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
What frame is that? Unusual cable routing for RD.

If there was no braze on we could buy a clip on cable guide back then :smile:

bb1.jpg

Tom B

Guru
After a couple of weeks of getting filthy I've got around to fitting another replacement rear mudguard.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
After taking an unexpected detour along a coastal path (see sand dunes) I had to give the bike a thorough clean. Sand everywhere, and I didn't even like turning the pedals given the grinding sounds coming from everywhere. All sounding nice though now after being hosed down and relubed.

pjd57

Veteran
Noticed that another nut securing my back mudguard was missing.
So a second rawlplug was added.
The first one was still holding after a couple of hundred miles.
The friendly mechanic at Freewheel North rummaged about in his box and got me sorted out later.

KneesUp

Guru
Bottom bracket has fairly suddenly started creaking like a barn door in the wind. I go on holiday tomorrow, and won't have chance to get to the LBS before then, so I took it out, noted the alarming amount of water in the frame, dried it off, re-greased the end of the sealed bits that sit in the cups and put it back together. It will either stop it creaking or it won't, but either way I won't find out until I'm away ...

Got hold of a Kona Smoke from the mechanic at work which has been stripped today ready to fit with what's lying about.Some Axis wheels from a spech mtb with some Conti RaceKing tyres,also some Magura hydraulic rim brakes which will be a funky addition.

Will check if the hub will take 10-speed and if so will look for some Deore/XT drivetrain parts.

Eventually(hopefully!) it'll be a good off-road bike for the better half.

fatjel

Veteran
Built some wheels for the bent finished them today.
Ultegra 6800 hubs , mavic 117 26" rims and sapim spokes
Durano 26 x 1.1s on just waiting for the forks from China before I can use them

Sunday afternoon at the side of the road between Loughton and St Ives I took the bb30 crankset off the Boardman ,cleaned it with a make up wipe and reassembled with a liberal glob of chamois cream . No more creaking

Last edited:
A "taking apart and cleaning" day

Stripped this down.....

P1030841.JPG

Looking pretty clean, bit of light "T-Cut" and a polish will sort scuffs
P1030842.JPG

Also stripped and started cleaning an '89 GT Talera. Covered in dried on mud but clean underneath....

P1030838.JPG

Shame about the mech
P1030835.JPG

So do I go for something "near period and similar spec"? Or hunt down the 200gs?
P1030836.JPG

Finally, loosely put together the Lizard. The stupidly wide 2.125 Van Sh*thurst steel rims are the weak point of the whole bike (and the only bit to get surface rust) so they are going to be decommissioned and the pretty bombproof Sachs/Maillard hubs laced to a half-decent alloy rim. May be "un-original" but sometimes progress is a good thing! (I know front wheel / reflector is in BTF, but being rebuilt I don't really care!

P1030844.JPG

Sadly my brother in law at 59 recently had a Stroke and as you would expect he now cannot drive his car which has meant his old bike being retrieved from the back of his shed.
That's where I come in as it needs to be refurbished to get it working again. On stripping the forks out BB spindle its clear to me that they've never ever been given a trace of grease so that was the first job. Cables were cut off and thanks to Ebay I have enough in the garage to replace them.
So its begun and at least I was wrong in thinking that the seat post will be seized so that's a bonus.
Biggest fear I have got is not getting the bike done but rather my B in L can remember how to cycle as physically he has not been damaged.

si_c

Guru
New toy arrived today - Tacx Truing stand. Set about fixing the rear wheel on the turbo bike properly, it had a broken spoke previously and was seriously out of true (5mm shimmy in both directions). I wasn't sure if I could get it perfectly trued, but 2 1/2 hours including removing the freewheel, replacing a pair of additional spokes (rounded nipples) and it was, as far as I can make out, perfectly true. It isn't however completely round, there is a distortion in one place as it rotates, but I don't (as yet) know how to fix that.

I had to completely loosen all the spokes though as not only was it not trued previously, but it wasn't dished properly either, so I've fixed that too. I'm pretty certain I could build a wheel now, all I'd need to do is get the lacing right. Might invest in a spoke tension meter first though.

Jason

Pulled all my cree xml lights out and gave them a charge. A college mate (we are now in our 50's) has taken up road cycling,his front light couldn't light the inside of a matchbox,so he gets a cycling present on Wednesday's evening ride.
Then Mrs Bourne decides to invade my personal space and starts snooping around the shed, some minutes later,she has the folder out and is riding on the grass!

Top Bottom