What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like srw above had a shed clear-out although on a smaller scale, will also be sorting out properly in the future; will be some bits for sale on here soon.

Also cleaned the other half's Escape,my Planet X XLS and Helium;plus sorted the front mech on the Helium.

Earlier before popping out for some foraging sorted the brakes on the above Escape and XLS.

The rear brake. realised that when I built it all up at Bikespace in Plymouth, I'd set the brake with the 'tyre removal switch' to open. Reset and re-adjust. Good time to notice the wheel is VERY slightly out of true. Whatever, it sure spins better now.

When you spend so long cleaning out an old hub, polishing the rim, putting new bearings in, then - just as you're screwing the cone in you pick up the WRONG cloth, the gritty one full of hairs, to wipe the excess grease. Then realise you've just gritted and haired the thing up again. Bah!

There WILL be a nice Carrera Subway out of the restored bikes stable. Just not tonight.

si_c

Guru
Replaced the chain about 80km ago, and it started skating under heavy load, was hoping it would mesh with the cassette, but it hasn't, so replaced this evening with a new one. 2750mi or so which is a little disappointing.

Woke up early(as in 4:30) so thought ok I'll fit the Sram stuff to the XLS:wacko:.

All fitted ok but had to wait to get to work to set the mech up and bleed the brakes.

Mech ok although obviously not 100% as it is running with a 10-speed chain and cassette*.

Rear hose will need re-doing to properly route it through the frame as we didn't have the right fittings so will get done next week hopefully.

Also fitted new Hope carbon seat-post and clamp.

*Hub won't take a 11-speed cassette but plan is to get new wheels built later(Hope hubs on Halo Vapour 29er rims) which will also need to have a thru-axle front for the Lauf Grit forks which are also part of the plan.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Bolt on the rear mudguard came loose for the umpteenth time tonight on the way home from work. Every slight ripple in the road and it sounds like the mudguard is going to shatter :sad:

. Get home, remove bolt, give the mudguard a clean, find a longer bolt, drown it in loctite and screwed it in. If it comes loose again the mudguard is coming off :rolleyes:

13 rider

Guru
Bolt on the rear mudguard came loose for the umpteenth time tonight on the way home from work. Every slight ripple in the road and it sounds like the mudguard is going to shatter :sad:

. Get home, remove bolt, give the mudguard a clean, find a longer bolt, drown it in loctite and screwed it in. If it comes loose again the mudguard is coming off :rolleyes:
What you want is brown parcel tape apparently is excellent for mudguard repairs and lasts months

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Swapped a tyre for my brother. Before our ride today I noticed that the rear tyre was nearly worn out but more importantly was riddled with cuts. We risked it for this trip (no issues) but I thought it best if he has a better one for an upcoming trip where we will be racking up a few miles, so have changed it for a worn but servicable Marathon I had lying around.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been fettling in the kitchen this morning.

IMG_20170828_120227035.jpg
IMG_20170828_131305319.jpg

Apple and raisin cake , once it's cooler I can try it .

Top Bottom