What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Beautiful.This one I've had for a while, 1985 Trek 600 531c with anniversary label, either one of their last builds in the barn, or one of the first in the factory.
trek-600-in-autumn.jpg

Bike coming in will probably be Tange, American built, interesting maker story.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Changed the tyres for my favourite mixture.. Tubeless Hans Damph front Trail King rear.
On my mavic pro slr wheels.

alicat

Legendary Member
Changed the bottom bracket and fitted a chaincase to my Giant Expression N3.

It took ages and only stubbornness kept me going. It looks good though.

The bad news is that although the old bottom bracket was definitely cream crackered the creaking noise is still present. The next suspect is the saddle.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fettle today should carry a 'don't try this at home' warning.

My tubed tubeless ready Alex MD40 rims grip the tyre bead so well changing a puncture is a problem.

Took me a quite a while wrestling with the tyre on a recent forum ride before I could break the bead seal.

I decided to grease a few inches of the tyre bead, in the hope that part of the tyre will free itself more easily next time I have a puncture.

Fairly straightforward job, although manhandling a Rohloff rim and balloon tyre made my arms ache.

It was also a chance to refit the tyres with the tread facing in the correct direction, having got a bit confused the first time I put them on.

After greasing, the beads on both tyres still seated on the rim with satisfying pops when inflated.

I'm confident there's still plenty of tyre bead/rim grip which should avoid any possibility of the tyre continuing to spin after the rim stops during braking - that would be bound to end in tears.

While removing the rear wheel, I took the opportunity to partially dismantle my Chainglider chain cover to give the chain a wipe and light lube.

First time I've done that since I got the bike 2,200 miles ago.

All seemed in order, and it didn't really need doing which indicates to me I should get plenty of miles from the chain.

the stupid one

Über Member
I'm confident there's still plenty of tyre bead/rim grip which should avoid any possibility of the tyre continuing to spin after the rim stops during braking - that would be bound to end in tears.

:eek:

That's tonight's bad dream sorted. What a terrible thought. Has that ever happened to anybody, or are you just an evil genius?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm sure I've read of some calamities during long descents when everything gets too hot.

The tyre slips on the rim a bit which rips the valve from the inner tube causing a blowout.

In normal use, the tyre's pressure keeps it gripped against the rim.

If you puncture, using the brakes could stop the rim but leave the tyre spinning.

Best to roll to a halt and/or brake using the wheel with the still inflated tyre.

stumpy66

Veteran
This morning I fitted new Swissstop brake pads to the single speed.
This afternoon I got the Enigma ready for winter. New Continental Grand Prix GT tyres and also fitted SKS race blade mudguards.

View attachment 380635
Nice wine collection

si_c

Guru
Gave the bike a thorough clean, as it was filthy, and really needed it. Just as well, cleaning the tyres, and the rear is developing bald spots, new tyre ordered, along with a new chain, as the current one has a lot of grit and crap between the plates, so it'll need replacing soon. Both delivered tomorrow, whereupon they'll be promptly fitted when I get home.

Edit: Rear wheel needs a slight true too, but I'll do that when I replace the tyre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom