What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Too far gone?
Just had a thought, what's the range on that freewheel? Looks like quite a close range, so could be 14-21 or 14-23. Might be worth swapping it for something with a 28t on it. Otherwise climbing something steeper than a speedbump is going to be very painful.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just had a thought, what's the range on that freewheel? Looks like quite a close range, so could be 14-21 or 14-23. Might be worth swapping it for something with a 28t on it. Otherwise climbing something steeper than a speedbump is going to be very painful.

It looks like a standard 14-24 5 speed block. I remember the old 6 speed training blocks we used to get, 13-21 and I used to run them with a 44-38 or 46- 40 on the front, I was a lot younger and stronger in those day's.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It looks like a standard 14-24 5 speed block. I remember the old 6 speed training blocks we used to get, 13-21 and I used to run them with a 44-38 or 46- 40 on the front, I was a lot younger and stronger in those day's.
This has the 13-21 on the back and a 52-42 on the front, gawd knows how I used to get up some of the hills on it (But I did)

DSCN0111.JPG

si_c

Guru
This has the 13-21 on the back and a 52-42 on the front, gawd knows how I used to get up some of the hills on it (But I did)

One of my Pugs until relatively recently had a 52/42 with a 14-21 rear, it was bloody 'orrible on anything remotely steep. I did manage to get up a fairly short 6%er without exploding, but that's about it. I have sub 1:1 on my main bike, I'm not sure I'd go back to anything else.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Whilst I've been recovering, and when feeling well enough, I've been working on a Specialized Allez Elite frame plus parts I picked up:

s-l1600.jpg

It's had:

- The white duct tape which I presumed was protecting (?) the frame from mudguards removed, cleaned, re-painted where needed
- Cleaned, then cleaned again
- Replacement long cage rear derailleur with new jockey wheels
- Chainrings with new chainring bolts
- New brake pads
- Wheels fitted from a donor bike - matching wheels and tyres with original spec

It still needs a headset doing plus rear brake cable, shifter cover and a couple of minor bits but now looks like a bike.

Last edited:

DCLane

Not done by me (the LBS looks after it) but my son's Cervelo race bike's been prepped for next season with new Aeronova carbon bars, bar tape, chain, inner and outer cables. New tyres still to be fitted along with a different saddle but that's his S3 ready for 2018:

20232301_421280048272677_3830103223884316027_o.jpg

I do recognise that this is a child who has an S3, but he's had a decent season - joint 3rd first year U14 in the UK (although he's Irish :blush: )

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Not done by me (the LBS looks after it) but my son's Cervelo race bike's been prepped for next season with new Aeronova carbon bars, bar tape, chain, inner and outer cables. New tyres still to be fitted along with a different saddle but that's his S3 ready for 2018:

View attachment 382154

I do recognise that this is a child who has an S3, but he's had a decent season - joint 3rd first year U14 in the UK (although he's Irish :blush: )
Why not, if he's doing so well. Nothing wrong with that.

Are the Aeronova's fitted in that picture? Please tell me that you didn't cover up those lovely flat carbon tops?

DCLane

Why not, if he's doing so well. Nothing wrong with that.

Are the Aeronova's fitted in that picture? Please tell me that you didn't cover up those lovely flat carbon tops?

The Aeronova bars are new - it's the Ergonova bars in the photo from this season that came with the bike. We've got a pair of the stealth version, which aren't covered, and offset the bike well.

Top Bottom