What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Stripped, cleaned and regreased the rear derailleur pulleys on the knockabout bike. They run smoothly now but the bearings aren't in a good way. New ones in the spring I think, if not a new derailleur.

Also gave the bike a good clean and mickled the chain, then noticed that the brake blocks were more worn than I thought so new ones fitted.

Edit to add: Glad I got that done when I did. It's horizontal rain out there now.

Last edited:
[QUOTE 5051284, member: 9609"]they're just too white :eek: I would just be too scared to get within 10 paces of it.
you do realise that seat now looks a little grubby - you will need to invest in an all new pristine white saddle to match.[/QUOTE]
The saddle is an old gel one that's gone rock hard, the covering material had disintegrated so I covered it in an old Chamois leather.
I'm not sure if I will do anything with the saddle, I'll have to give it a test ride and go from there.
The tape was some that I had bought some time ago and was lying around in my garage.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
On yesterdays ride I started getting a thump through the front brake on each revolution which worsened rapidly as I went round the route. It was too cold and dark to have a look when I got back so I've investigated it today and as suspected the rim was starting to fail and had splayed out at a particular point.

I've changed it for the front wheel from the pair that have my Snow Studs on, which is in good conditon, and found an old front wheel with nutted axle and some life still left in it so that I can still use the Snow Studs if needed.

Also replaced the pedal reflector that dropped off at Oaks yesterday. All set for my December century ride now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
[QUOTE 5051374, member: 9609"]one of the friustrations of night riding is when ever you stop to do something its difficult to see what I'm doing and the headlight is just awkward to see anything by, so with a bit of velcro I have made a quick fix for an old camping head torch that I have, I can just keep it in my pocket when riding and quickly attach when i stop.
View attachment 384259
View attachment 384258

and yes I am aware that the bit of glue on the helmet will undoubtedly cause it to shatter into a million pieces on impact[/QUOTE]

Does the plug not pull out the socket once you have ridden so far?

si_c

Guru
Fitted the Supernova dynamo lights to the Robinson,bit fiddly and the tape and right shifter had to come off to fit the front light.

All working though and will hopefully give them a test tomorrow.

Which light did you go for, and how have you mounted it? I'm about to order a light, still undecided on the pro vs the triple.

U

User19783

Fitted the Supernova dynamo lights to the Robinson,bit fiddly and the tape and right shifter had to come off to fit the front light.

All working though and will hopefully give them a test tomorrow.

Nice
Another question
Is the hub a disc brake compatible?

si_c

Guru
Ok, so my rear wheel has been in really bad shape for a while. I've got a warranty replacement rim coming from Tredz shortly(tm), which will be built into a new wheel by my LBS. In the meantime, I've been riding around on a rim which has cracked around five of the drive side spoke holes, I'd retrued it so that it was straight, and being a 32h rim, figured it would be ridable, for a while.

On my commute home Wednesday it started to fail spectacularly, and a spoke (complete with nipple still attached) came away from the rim. I taped it to the adjacent spoke and carried on, was out all night, so rode it to work and back the next day, and to work on friday. At which point it had started to wobble, so much so that the wheel was going straight, and the rear of the bike was going side to side about an inch each way. Somewhat unnerving, I figured it might last all the way home, but got the train anyway.

Which brings me to today. I'm doing my first wheel build.

0GH8VeA3jTlFYin9A1k8vZ1O_ctFryPCtfjMj7NN546cbiVy7Pd9xhDhU3pObd-yrJD5UBhJNReG1HLel0w=w896-h672-no.jpg

It's a DT Swiss R460db rim, which I'm lacing to a shimano FH-RS505 freehub, with Sapim Race spokes and Sapim polyax, brass nipples. I'm doing it two cross, because I prefer the look of a two cross lacing pattern, no other reason. I know three cross is likely better, but I'm just playing at this point.

If this goes well today, I might try to do the front wheel tomorrow.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A pic of an icy cycle path by @BoldonLad in Your Ride Today motivated me to fit the studded tyres to my winter ebike because I shall be riding on his patch tomorrow.

Fitting the studded tyres is not a job I look forward to because they are Marathons and tighter than the Big Apple balloons the bike wears for the rest of the year.

Pleased to see I stored the winter tyres neatly with their own tubes.

Own tubes, you might ask.

A lot is said about tubes not stretching, but my experience is the Marathons are even harder to fit with the tubes which have been in the much larger volume Big Apples.

The studs mean the tyres are not nice to handle and they snag on clothing.

Plenty of talc - it's good for the carpet as well - meant the job went with no mishaps.

Last task was to shorten the propstand leg - the smaller circumference of the Marathons means the bike will topple if I don't do that.

Just time for a swift pic outside before darkness falls.

P1000499.JPG

Which light did you go for, and how have you mounted it? I'm about to order a light, still undecided on the pro vs the triple.

It's this one;

1411-supernova_e3_pure3_handlebar_mounted.php

With this rear;

https://www.amba-marketing.com/prod...il_light_2_seat_post_fitting.php?r=1m34b0s165

Nice
Another question
Is the hub a disc brake compatible?

As mentioned above it's an SP hub with standard disc mount(centre-lock is also available)

fatjel

Veteran
Front brake on the mtb failed last week ( hydraulic elixir 1 )
was still barely working after fitting new pads.
Got some new shimano brakes for £37 off ebay which seem to work OK
Added bonus the new rear one will fit the front of the Bacchetta cos I'm not loving the bb7s

si_c

Guru
Finished the lacing and initial tension and true.
1DrQ5LSsN511g4JT3pbk-BzXYdos059RLjxSt4pxoa0yM2-97DZVQDfreCfh49DZe980JbPwm5GYabUhBRA=w505-h672-no.jpg

Took a bit longer than I had anticipated, I got the key spoke in wrong twice and had to relace from scratch. Added to that I was short two spokes on my order for the drive side, which caused me some thought. In the end as it's a disc hub, the difference in spoke length side to side is 2mm, so I just put the spare drive side spoke onto the other side, and I'll live with it.

Going to spend some time getting the dish right and it trued properly, as well as spoke tension up a bit. I've got a new tensiometer I need to play with :hyper::laugh:

Leaway2

Lycrist
Finished the lacing and initial tension and true.
View attachment 385740

Took a bit longer than I had anticipated, I got the key spoke in wrong twice and had to relace from scratch. Added to that I was short two spokes on my order for the drive side, which caused me some thought. In the end as it's a disc hub, the difference in spoke length side to side is 2mm, so I just put the spare drive side spoke onto the other side, and I'll live with it.

Going to spend some time getting the dish right and it trued properly, as well as spoke tension up a bit. I've got a new tensiometer I need to play with :hyper::laugh:
What is the Tacx like? Any good?

Top Bottom