What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
What is the Tacx like? Any good?

It does the job, and it folds up really small, which is one of the reasons I got it, it was also relatively inexpensive. I've found I can get the lateral deviation to about or just under 1/2mm using it, but I can't get it perfect, I can't get it perfectly round either, again to around a couple of mm deviation.

I'm probably being a bit overly picky though, as it's far more likely that I'm not good enough or practiced enough to do the job perfectly!

I'd definitely recommend it though, as it's very easy to use, and is a massive improvement on trying to do it by eye or with zipties on a bike frame.

Leaway2

Lycrist
It does the job, and it folds up really small, which is one of the reasons I got it, it was also relatively inexpensive. I've found I can get the lateral deviation to about or just under 1/2mm using it, but I can't get it perfect, I can't get it perfectly round either, again to around a couple of mm deviation.

I'm probably being a bit overly picky though, as it's far more likely that I'm not good enough or practiced enough to do the job perfectly!

I'd definitely recommend it though, as it's very easy to use, and is a massive improvement on trying to do it by eye or with zipties on a bike frame.
I may ask Santa for one.

Yesterday evening I finally got around to finishing off a wheel build for my road bike upgrade to 11 speed. I almost forgot to adjust the hub before putting the wheel back on the bike. I decided to open the (brand new) hub up to check how much grease was packed around the bearings, hardly any.... so I put some in quite successfully, then turned hub over, only to drop a bunch of bearings out the other side into a nearby tool box.... queue much swearing. I carefully tipped out the contents of my tool box, and finding only 2 of 3 bearings, but assuming I had them all, I put them back in and put it back together. Unbeknownst to me, another had rolled under a cabinet.

Packing it all up with grease, put the axel back on, forget to install the end cap, and mounted the wheel back on the bike. Only to realise I had forgot the end cap when tightening the QR skewer. Off it comes again, back on to the bike. Then too much play in the wheel, so off it comes AGAIN. Finally, I adjusted the cone perfectly. Back on the bike. Whilst cleaning up the tools strewn about the floor, I notice it, the other missing ball bearing. FFS, should have counted them all before putting it all back together... Had to strip it down and start again.

Note to future self, don't drop your ruddy ball bearings everywhere, and count them before sealing it up... GRRRR :evil::rofl:

si_c

Guru
Yesterday evening I finally got around to finishing off a wheel build for my road bike upgrade to 11 speed. I almost forgot to adjust the hub before putting the wheel back on the bike. I decided to open the (brand new) hub up to check how much grease was packed around the bearings, hardly any.... so I put some in quite successfully, then turned hub over, only to drop a bunch of bearings out the other side into a nearby tool box.... queue much swearing. I carefully tipped out the contents of my tool box, and finding only 2 of 3 bearings, but assuming I had them all, I put them back in and put it back together. Unbeknownst to me, another had rolled under a cabinet.

Packing it all up with grease, put the axel back on, forget to install the end cap, and mounted the wheel back on the bike. Only to realise I had forgot the end cap when tightening the QR skewer. Off it comes again, back on to the bike. Then too much play in the wheel, so off it comes AGAIN. Finally, I adjusted the cone perfectly. Back on the bike. Whilst cleaning up the tools strewn about the floor, I notice it, the other missing ball bearing. FFS, should have counted them all before putting it all back together... Had to strip it down and start again.

Note to future self, don't drop your ruddy ball bearings everywhere, and count them before sealing it up... GRRRR :evil::rofl:
I really dislike servicing hubs. But I prefer it to faffing around with cartridge bearings.

xzenonuk

Veteran
gave my suntour fork a bit of a clean and new grease this morning as best i could with out been able to get the top cap off to get to the spring, i don't have the silly preload adjuster remover tool,

there did seem to be some sort of water build up inside as a load came out when i undone the 2 bottom bolts lol

working a lot better now and i put new bearings in my rear hub just a wee while ago, dang i forgot how hard it is to get a cassette off a wheel, gonna have sore arms later :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Back to @ozboz's thread about his Surly being found, @Welsh wheels mentioned dimwits wanting road bikes for £50. I had that last week and said "can't". Then on Friday I was given in exchange for a £7 cassette most of a Pinnacle Dolomite 1 from 2013 consisting of:

- Frame that looks to have had little use but been dragged through a bramble patch
- Tourney shifters, RH not working
- Tourney crankset, front derailleur, Tektro brakes

Looking at it the bike needed a rear mech hanger, rear derailleur, seatpost, saddle, shifter fixing, wheels, cassette, chain, one cable, etc. A couple of months ago I gave / threw away all my 'cheap' seatposts and saddles so probably don't have any left :sad: (* updated below)

Not to be beaten I took the 7-speed Carrera wheels out of the shed that I'd be planning to sell and hoped to recover the £16 I'd paid, fitted the yellow tyres given and it all spun fine.

The shifter was bent and broken but it was simply out of place and had a snapped cable = easy fix.

* I went for a rummage and found a used Cinelli Vai seatpost (cost £6) and an old Boardman saddle so they're fitted.

A new mech hanger's at Evans on Tuesday and I'm using a s/hand Shimano 2300 derailleur = £12 for those

Still to do:
  • Fit hanger and rear derailleur
  • Fit rear gear cable and a bit of outer
  • Fit new chain
Total cost should be about £50

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
  • Took a deep deep breath
  • loaded up some AC/DC and Saxon onto my playlist
  • Cleaned the Bathroom/Shower,
  • Serviced Jockey wheels on the triban after noticing squeaking.
  • Rebalanced the rear brakes as i noticed they were pulling unevenly.
  • Changed the inner tube on the rear wheel back to a conti as I think the Specialized inner tube as it seems to have developed a slow puncture.
  • Whacked the wheel back on.
  • Cleaned the working area
  • Made breakfast and cup of tea

The rear wheel was vaguely suspicious to me before i went out yesterday as it was almost completely flat. I pumped it up again and it was flat this morning when i went to check on it.... It was absolutely fine when i did my 20miles yesterday.

GuyBoden

Guru
  • Took a deep deep breath
  • loaded up some AC/DC and Saxon onto my playlist
  • Cleaned the Bathroom/Shower,
  • Serviced Jockey wheels on the triban after noticing squeaking.
  • Rebalanced the rear brakes as i noticed they were pulling unevenly.
  • Changed the inner tube on the rear wheel back to a conti as I think the Specialized inner tube as it seems to have developed a slow puncture.
  • Whacked the wheel back on.
  • Cleaned the working area
  • Made breakfast and cup of tea
The rear wheel was vaguely suspicious to me before i went out yesterday as it was almost completely flat. I pumped it up again and it was flat this morning when i went to check on it.... It was absolutely fine when i did my 20miles yesterday.

Sometimes, slow punctures are the most difficult to find, it's probably a very small sharp object embedded into the tyre, they're so frustrating because they're so difficult to find, I've resorted to changing tyres in the past. Best of luck and patience.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I broke a rear spoke about 12 miles into a 48 mile ride yesterday so replaced it this morning.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Continued working on the Pinnacle Dolomite 1 from Monday. Today it got:
  • Paint - Humbrol black enamel from my big pot of paint
  • Rear mech hanger fitted from Evans (£8)
  • New Shimano 2300 rear mech as the s/hand one was stuck (£10)
  • Rear gear cable outer (£0), inner (£1) and downtube adjuster (£2)
  • Pedals removed and re-greased
  • Clarks anti-rust chain £5
As I had to use a new rear mech and needed a downtube adjuster the total cost came to £55, which wasn't far off the original £50 planned. Final photo and I'm disappointed I forgot a 'before' photo given how bad it was on Saturday:
DSCF5167.JPG

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Sometimes, slow punctures are the most difficult to find, it's probably a very small sharp object embedded into the tyre, they're so frustrating because they're so difficult to find, I've resorted to changing tyres in the past. Best of luck and patience.

I honestly dont know what to think, that particular inner tube is less than 2 months old and I havent been cycling that much since my work situation changed. I needed some work done on the triban anyway so I had my LBS fit the inner tube along with everything else that needed doing.

When i changed the inner tube yesterday, i made sure there wasnt anything sharp that had punched a small hole in my tyre, everything was perfect. swap the inner tubes around and semi inflated the one I had taken off and gave it a good hard squeeze to see if it would lose any air. I did this for 5mins and it was absolutely fine. I know immersing it in a tub of water would of probably been quicker and better as far as puncture detection goes but i was being lazy.

Tyre is still perfectly inflated now. Maybe it was just the presta valve core that was a little loose? It seemed pretty tightly screwed on at the time.

Re-built the Ridley Icarus; straightforward with the s/h Ultegra chainset going on easily and the chain is fine.

No adjustment needed for either mechs but rear brake caliper needed some adjustment.

It's a real bitsa now;10-speed 105 shifters and mechs,6700 Ultegra chainset,6600 Ultegra brakes,KMC 10-spd chain and Giant wheels.

Just need to fit mudguards and source a s/h seat-post (pref a carbon one) and it's good to go.

Top Bottom