What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Replaced off road Kendas with City jets. Put some front/rear cheapo led lights on. Fitted a cheap trip computer and tested.
Thought to myself " go for a ride" ......... Then it rained :-(((

Cubist

Still wavin'
Today I fitted some tubeless tyres to my new Stans Arch EX wheelset, took the rotors and 10 spd cassette off my XC wheels and fitted them to the Arch wheels, converted the front wheel to 9mm bolt-through, and fitted both wheels to the Canyon. I then put the 9 speed cassette back on the XC wheelset, plus a pair of 160mm rotors and fitted the wheels back on the Cube. I then fitted a new Deore brakeset to the Cube and got them up and running, cleaned the Cube to within an inch of its life and refitted the grips and matched up the cockpit. Test rode the Canyon with its 2.4 tubeless tyres for about five minutes before Mrs C told me to get ready as we were going out......

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
And how many beer bottles did you fettle with it?!

That was a scientific experiment to test the suitability of a Brooks spanner as an opener and in answer to your question, one. A standard bottle opener was also used as a control and this was tested on two occasions. The contents of the bottles were disposed of in a controlled manner. The Brooks spanner works but isn't very effective, further research may be required.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've adjusted the front mechs of both tandem and Van Nicholas. I even think I understood what I was doing.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bled Cubester's rear Hope Tech M4 brake, bled my rear Deore M595 brake, fitted the seal upside down and watched mineral oil flood over the shifters:blush:. Cubester has offered to service friend's Dad's ridgeback MTB. I have decided being a bike snob is a good thing, 'cos that's horrible.........needs new chain, cassette, brake pads, cables, but worst of all has v-brake levers and shifters combined so looks a bastard to re-cable. Wheels will need bearings doing as well.:angry:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Heavens opened this afternoon so the planned foray was abandoned. Cubester reported that his from mech was stiff so he's learned to fit new cable inner and outer, and he then checked the chain and found that was 0.75% so he's fitted himself a new chain as well. I'm always amazed at how clumsy kids are with tools and fiddly processes. (the SRAM powerlink had him beat for about ten minutes) Mrc C says all kids are like that, and I'm very precise, so am comparing him unfavourably. That's me told then!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Finally gave my Defy 2 a good baby-wipe clean after a muddy ride on Weds evening, and fitted the Giant specific mudguards. It doesn't look too bad... but a 10mm spanner will be in my carry bag tomorrow in case they need further fettling...

HovR

Über Member
Replaced mech hanger on a friends Carrera Vengeance today. Walked into Halfords, and was asked if I needed a hand. Told them I was looking for a Carrera Vengeance mech hanger, and they retrieved the correct product within seconds. Great service!

Refitted chain with a quick link to save the faff of re-linking the chain.

Edwards80

Über Member
I knew the front brake pads were due for replacement after the Jodrell bank ride last weekend. I ordered some but they hadn't arrived yesterday and I don't think metal on metal braking surfaces would be much good :S

... so I nicked the pads/shoes off my Mrs's rather more expensive road bike. Blimey, Don't want to give them back now! I also learnt what the little screw on top of the calliper was for after thinking the whole setup was wonky. Always best to learn this stuff 20mins before you have to leave for work ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have now fitted the new cassette to my Basso that I should have fitted a couple of weeks ago when replacing a severely worn chain. I knew that there was a possibility of the new chain and old cassette not working together properly, but I thought I would get away with it ... I didn't! :blush:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Removed the Crud roadracers from the carbon bike as they rub just enough to really annoy me despite lots of fettling. Wet arse or raceblades for me on that bike in the future. :sad:

Christopher

Über Member
Took fixed to bits and put most of the drivetrain for the 'crosser. Removed rear cartridge bearing with a hammer and measured it. Seems a standard 6000 size (as srw said it would be!) but can't get one cone off, so might take it down to the folks' and grind flats into the axle with Dad's bench grinder. So butch I may have to wear a plaid shirt while doing so...

Top Bottom