What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like the TF2 Plus dry lubricant. The red bottle. I use the wet (green) in ‘weather’ and in the winter. TF2 do a sample pack of 4 different lubes. What this means is you end up with handy little bottles, just the right size for your touring tool kit.

I initially liked the wax they do (so quiet) but over time, little scallops or scabs of wax tended to gum up the cassette, jockey wheels and chain links. I also found wax to be a pain as when I wanted to switch to a lube, the wax stopped it from penetrating. Took lots of work to clean off completely.

So now I like switching between wet and dry. Can go a bit black, but this is easily cleaned with a rag or wet wipe after your ride. Then re lube. One tiny drop per link is all I use.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dropper post needs a quick service but I'm not at home with the correct tools. It's creeping up very very slowly when down so I suspect dirt inside the valves.

Repressurised it but no joy. Still perfectly useable as the creep is fractional.

I put a new chain on the CGR, this morning
Also taking the opportunity to use petrol to scrub (with old toothbrush) the chain-rings & derailleurs
I've also bought new disc-pads, but the present incumbents will be okay for another couple of months, all being well

Ribble. CGR. 4.JPG Ribble. CGR. 7.JPG

The last time I changed chains on the CGR (November?), I also intended fitting a new one on the '7005/Winter/Audax' (as Ribble call it)
Sadly the Cassette was too worn to run smoothly with a new chain, so it (7005, not the chain) just got put back in the shed at the time, as it's not been used since I got the CGR, last March
However, it has accepted, with no graunches/skipping, the partly worn chain from the CGR (another KMC)
I might consider selling it, along with my (not used for at least 3 years!) Ridley

Ribble. 7005. 1.JPG

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Busy afternoon:

- Car got a flat tyre (OK, not a bike but it's used for transporting LOTS of bikes) so my 18yo can now change a car tyre and I got the windscreen chip fixed.
- Cleaned my Eastway from this morning's ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/1494154988
- The Wilier Montegrappa's squeaking, which turned out to be the bottom bracket. Replaced that.
- Fitted some new Vredestein Fortezza Senso to a pair of Superstar Components wheels I've had sat - those will do for commuting duty.
- 13yo's Columbus X-Wing is chipped from a year's commuting miles by him, so that got a first coat of touch-up paint

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Spent the afternoon rectifying some of the damage winter has wrought on the knockabout bike.

New chain, cassette and middle chain ring. Fitted the thumb shifters that came off the Raleigh along with some new cables. Serviced the rear wheel bearings and gave the whole thing a good clean, checkover and adjustment.

There is more work it could do with but this has sorted out the urgent stuff and will keep it going for a while yet.

I gave the Cube a good wash and clean, yesterday, cleaned and oiled the chain as well, ready for its first trip to Wales for the year, next week.

Also wiped the Forme down, to get rid of the winter dust from being in the shed, cleaned and oiled the chain, ready for what I hope will soon be drier weather to get out on it in!! Needs to dry up a lot before that happens though.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Cleaned my daughter’s and my MTB from yesterday’s ride (too late to do it last night). My daughter’s brakes were making a noise so taught her how to adjust them herself. She was so proud. Adjusted her seat too. Then we decided to try her on the new MTB she had for Christmas which she was too small for at the time. By removing the rear reflector, I was able to lower the saddle enough that she can now ride it! She was so pleased. It means she has six gears to play with. It should make it easier on the hills than with her single-speed. Now she’s gone to bed, I’ve just swapped the kickstand and mudguards over from her old bike. She’s ready to go!

Elysian_Roads

One of those good cycling days today. A pleasant ride, a bit of cycling related retail therapy, and a bit of fettling.

In truth, it started last night when I put a centre stand I had lying about onto the hack bike, to make it easier now I have fitted panniers.

Today's fettle started with cleaning the Marin MTB, repairing a puncture in an MTB inner tube, and then swapping over the Smart Sam tyres to the Land Cruisers I had recently bought, along with a set of flat pedals bought today from Decathlon. Aim is to make the Marin a bit of a soft roader for the time being. Also managed to fix the lock out on the front forks, which had stopped working.

Then over to the Triban road bike to clean it after today's ride, and change the pedals over to the Shimano SPD/ flat combination that came off the MTB. The Triban is a bit of a Winter/bad weather bike, and I have some Specialized Cadet MTB shoes to wear on this bike. The irony being that I chose the Triban today on the basis of the threatened forecast but there wasn't the wet weather I was expecting... Nevermind ^_^.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Put the new saddle on last night, the center hole was not a feature I felt I needed but it sure made it easy to hold the fittings from the top to put the bolt back in! It looks great, we will see how it feels this evening!

I also installed the new coffee cup holder but am unsure about it, for $1 I figured I would give it a go but placement is difficult. I think it is supposed to go outward towards the front but there was no room with the brake levers so I have it inward. It also may need a layer of old inner tube to add to the shim because I feel it could be tighter. We'll see how it works...

Mark down table at the LBS for the win!

C R

Guru
Lots of fettling this weekend. Daughter one got a new (to her) bike, so spent some time adjusting seat height, getting the shifting and brakes to work and fine adjustment after test runs. Then adjusting her old bike to fit younger brother, who is enjoying the new world of gears.

Today's ride included a bit of muddy tow path, so gave my bike a good clean and oiling.

C R

Guru
Cleaned my daughter’s and my MTB from yesterday’s ride (too late to do it last night). My daughter’s brakes were making a noise so taught her how to adjust them herself. She was so proud. Adjusted her seat too. Then we decided to try her on the new MTB she had for Christmas which she was too small for at the time. By removing the rear reflector, I was able to lower the saddle enough that she can now ride it! She was so pleased. It means she has six gears to play with. It should make it easier on the hills than with her single-speed. Now she’s gone to bed, I’ve just swapped the kickstand and mudguards over from her old bike. She’s ready to go!
I had to remove the reflector in my daughter's new bike for the same reason, are there any alternatives or would you just leave it if not riding in the dark?

Top Bottom