What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Bugger, today I needed to have the rear brake cable replaced, had issues for a while and almost came down to it being the derailleur, chain plenty of life on it, tried on a new cassette, same issuers. Lbs put a new inner and outer on and said chain was also a bit short. This annoyed me as the last place that investigated said they took a couple of links out. Got it up in the stand at home and yes it was short so added a link back in, shifts well again

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Went to get the Voodoo out of the shed and noticed that the Giant's rear wheel was fractionally off centre. Loosened the QR, let the wheel settle square and re-tightened the QR. Don't want to work too hard on my day off!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Family bikes all ready to go off to the 'holiday home' - AKA big static caravan for the summer - all dusted off and oiled (I'm the only nutter that still rides all year).

I get some wall space back, but since 'wall hanging' the bikes that was the best move. The car will be loaded with 5 bikes tomorrow (4 on roof and the Boardman FS Pro in the boot).

C R

Guru
I had been having problems with pain in my wrists, and the feeling that my seat was too far forward, though it is set as far back as it will go. After seeing a thread about a similar problem, decided to tilt the seat so that it slopes ever so slightly to the back, I can hardly see the difference in the seat tilt, but the difference in ride comfort is amazing.

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
I went to a ladies night at the Specialized Concept Store in Bristol last night. Came home with speed & cadence sensors for the touring hybrid and a pair of tyres for the GT Timberline 29er mtb, a Spesh Butcher up front and Spesh Purgatory on the rear:shy:. So in the nice sunshine fitted all that.

Also noticed a small amount of play on the headset of the Timberline and couldn't tighten the cap down any further so suspected I didn't cut the steerer in the right spot when I fitted the new forks a while back. After taking a measurement using my father's old digital Mitutoyo verniers I set to with a file and took 0.8mm off, tightened the cap up and no more play. :becool:

Hugs
Archeress x

robrinay

I stripped all the bits from the Holdsworth Mistral frame and spayed them with degreaser and left them to soak overnight ready for rust removal. The frame I took to the shot blasters and got a nice surprise - they do spray painting too.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
cleaned the drivetrain in preparation for the Whitstable FNR. Decided to experiment with some dry lube i had sitting on my shelf for ages and didnt know how to apply it till i watched a tutorial....

Almost £5 a bottle and hes applying it like he's pouring a coffee.....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Spent the afternoon rectifying some of the damage winter has wrought on the knockabout bike.

New chain, cassette and middle chain ring. Fitted the thumb shifters that came off the Raleigh along with some new cables. Serviced the rear wheel bearings and gave the whole thing a good clean, checkover and adjustment.

Edit to add: completely forgot to mention swapping the rather worse-for-wear derailleur for a much better one of the same sort (Acera) also handed down from the Raleigh.

There is more work it could do with but this has sorted out the urgent stuff and will keep it going for a while yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom