What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I get the old 'cross bike out when it snows or is icy so it gets a lot of road salt flung at it. Found out one of the rear brake pad bolts had seized on a couple of weeks ago when I tried to adjust it to stop it squeaking. Cut the bastard off today, removed the canti brakes and cleaned them up, greased the posts, re-assembled and put new pads on with a load of anti-sieze on the threads. Did the front ones at the same time.

Noticed the cables outers are a bit tired, will have to do these before next winter.

Cleaned the commute bike, filthy it was after last week's rain. Still want something like a Burrows 2D with a fully-enclosed chain.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I bought some Schwalbe Marathon 700c X 28 tyres for the winter roadbike about 2 weeks ago. I have been really impressed with the 700c X 25's I have on my BTwin Triban summer bike. I have never had a puncture.

Well yesterday a particularly tenacious shard of glass set out to prove me wrong !

edit: I have put some rubber solution in the crack of the tyre and will put a tyre boot on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_123452729.jpg
    IMG_20180401_123452729.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 40

C R

Guru
The front brake in my sons bike was rubbing and squealing, so sorted it. The bike needs a service, but it is now too small for him, so he is going to graduate to daughter one's bike and she will be getting the next size up, so no point in spending a lot of time on his bike, just keep it ticking for a couple of weeks.

Seleucid

Regular
First ride on Merlin, so adjustments to saddle and handlebars compulsory ( even if not needed and probably adjusted back next ride) but most fettling done on 1970s Puch Pursuit, including much hard staring at an inaccessible nut and bolt combo that probably haven't been touched since....ooohh, 1970s?

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Had a nice long spin today on the Bianchi and it confirmed that I need to move the brake levers slightly further down the drops as I can't reach the brake lever properly when in the drops. First job for LBS when in for its first 'service' inspection.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I fixed the puncture (post about 4 about this one). When I was putting the wheel back on the chain was making a funny noise. I thought it was the brake alignment but it turned out to be the dreaded bottom bracket.

So I took it apart. The pictures below was the outcome. The adjustable cup caged bearing has seen better days (picture 1 below). The adjustable cup was pitted and the spindle races were badly pitted (picture 2 below). The drive side caged bearing were in several pieces. Fortunately I have spares for both. Working on the reassembly right now ...

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_140009.jpg
    IMG_20180402_140009.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20180402_140242.jpg
    IMG_20180402_140242.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 36

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
On Sunday I replaced the grotty white bar tape with red and raised the bars. I also changed the brake cables.

Memo to self: work out how to replace internal cables before starting work

I love doing bar tape. Other than black or white, it’s well worth having a look at a colour wheel (artists’ one) to see what compliments or goes with the frame colour. For example my burgundy bike looks great with bright green bar tape because those colours are opposite each other on the colour wheel.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's bikes needed work. And as they're his bikes ... he was helping:

Columbus X-Wing commuter cross bike had a new headset bearing fitted by the LBS and my 13yo fitted a new rear tyre.

Then we set to work on his Giant TCR Composite (which we built together 2 years ago), where he helped me fit:
  • New Swissstop front brake pads
  • New KMC lightweight chain
  • Adjust the rear pads
  • And the biggie; a new front derailleur cable including cleaning out all the gunk inside the frame from 2 years of use as the front derailleur cable goes through the frame xx(
All done. He's learnt a bit I hope for when he does it himself next time and I'm only the helper. He is helping me continue the BeOne build though later this week: front derailleur, cables and chain to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom