What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Got some old childrens' bike ready for collecting by charity shop.

si_c

Guru
Left work today to a flat rear tyre, figured it was a slow puncture as the tire was pretty solid when I got there, so pumped it up and rode home. Had dinner, then pulled the rear wheel off the bike, first time I've taken a proper look at it in a month or so. The cassette was making an odd noise, and there was a broken spoke on the drive side. How long it's been like that I don't know, but the wheel was still perfectly true.

Set the truing stand up, removed cassette and disc rotor, everything was covered in a nasty paste of road salt, rust and other unmentionable muck. Cleaned everything as I worked around, patched the tube, put the tire back on after supergluing the nasty gash that has appeared (already have new tires on order at the LBS).

Put in a new spoke into the wheel to replace the broken one, and as this wheel is the first wheel I ever built, I'm not 100% on how well it was originally built, so I de-tensioned all the spokes, then evenly tensioned them all the way around the rim. Quick final truing and it seems ok. Like @Elybazza61 I'm slowly building up my understanding of how wheels can be built, of the 4 I've built, I've re-built both of the first two, not because it was strictly needed, but because I can improve on them.

Checked the chain wear, about 12 days ago it was less than .75, now it's somewhere between that and .1, so new chain time, I'll need to pick one up tomorrow.

I thought I would make up some bits for my down tube shifters . I eventually found some nylon to make the wing nut. It was from some material that was used when Formula One cars had ground effect.

Attachments

• IMGP7168.JPG
    IMGP7168.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP7169.JPG
    IMGP7169.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP7178.JPG
    IMGP7178.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 36
Finished building a new rear wheel for the Trek utility bike; Shimano XT hub with Halo White Line rim and DT Swiss spokes.

Might actually be getting my head around this wheel building lark.

I find it is one of the most satisfying jobs on a bike. Once you have a few builds under your belt and you can knock a whole wheelset out in under an hour to a reasonable standard, it seems a whole lot less daunting. I haven't got fancy tools, I just do them in the frame suspended in a mechanics stand, and eyeball dish, lateral and horizontal true using my thumb and the seat stays as a guide. Maybe my builds might turn up noses of people with fancy equipment, but they have been durable and remain true for me. :biggrin:

U

User19783

Picked up a Mango 3 speed bike from @User42423 this morning.

I needed to make several adjustments , raised the saddle, lower the handle bars, flipped the stem and replaced the inner tube. All nothing major, but like on every new bike I like to check everything, unfortunately I had to buy some new inner tubes as all mine have a short valve, and I need 60 mm valves:sad:, so I brought 3 from Halfords.
To my surprise, the Nexus 3 speed hud is dream, I really like it, as I am so use to using my fixed or single speed bikes.
7E8F17D7-2330-450B-9A06-66E0BA4AE285.jpeg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My new Schwalbe Landcruiser Plus tyres arrived this afternoon and are now on the bike. They are a snug fit on my 27.5” rims, but I still managed to put them on without tyre levers. It may be an optical illusion, but they don’t seem as wide as the tyres that came with the bike (Kenda). If it’s not an optical illusion, it may help me ride faster on the MTB. Most of my rides combine road, towpaths and bridleways, and I call always put the knobbly tyres back on for going on the trails.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Refitted my old Zoom suspension seatpost.
I'm getting softer as time goes by.

D

Deleted member 1258

I managed to persuade a new mudguard to fit my eastway this evening, the bike has very little clearance under the brake bridge and not all mudguards will fit, the original one had started to rattle again and as I'd already patched it up twice I decided to replace it. I'll do the front later on in the week.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I managed to persuade a new mudguard to fit my eastway this evening, the bike has very little clearance under the brake bridge and not all mudguards will fit, the original one had started to rattle again and as I'd already patched it up twice I decided to replace it. I'll do the front later on in the week.

Raleigh Elements mudguards fit, or at least on an Eastway 4.0.

Top Bottom