What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have just fitted £24 worth of spares into my old Silca track pump. One small piece of leather and a new valve rubber. Very expensive but it does appear to be working again.

I took careful dimensions of the new leather washer and I will definitely give wet forming a new one a go when I have made a suitable former.
I have just ordered a Silca Pista. I have quite a few of their products, as love the design and build quality. Always fancied one of their track pumps and they just had a clearance sale on their US site. Ended up paying $79.20, although will have to pay customs on top. Still very reasonable though. :smile:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have just ordered a Silca Pista. I have quite a few of their products, as love the design and build quality. Always fancied one of their track pumps and they just had a clearance sale on their US site. Ended up paying $79.20, although will have to pay customs on top. Still very reasonable though. :smile:

They do seem to be very well put together. I have no idea how I got the one I have. I do know I purchased it from the original Hot Pursuit in Totnes but how I afforded it I don't know. It had given a lot of years service though so I decided to repair rather than replace.

bpsmith

Veteran
They do seem to be very well put together. I have no idea how I got the one I have. I do know I purchased it from the original Hot Pursuit in Totnes but how I afforded it I don't know. It had given a lot of years service though so I decided to repair rather than replace.
Sounds like you’re a happy customer then. Looking forward to mine arriving.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Second ride out on the Bianchi today so did a bit of fine tuning. Saddle went up quite a bit, ~8mm, and dropped the nose a smidge. I'm not convinced the bars are quite right but will go on another quick spin on Friday afternoon to do a bit more fettling before the first Sportive of the year on Sunday.... Only 40 miles so it doesn't have to be spot on but would be nice to get it close... The Roubaix is set up really nicely now but it'd be a shame to miss the opportunity to take the new bike out :laugh:

20180321_161643.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Anticipating that Spring weather might be arriving soon and that the roads will stop being salted, I got the Raleigh out to fit some upgrade parts I've had stored away for a while.

I've serviced the wheel bearings, fitted a 9 speed 11-34T cassette, chain, new thumb shifters (and cables) to match and set it all up. I now have some ridiculously low gearing to play with and am looking forward to a shakedown ride.

I intend to cascade the 8 speed thumb shifters down to the knockabout bike as although I like grip shifters, they turn the opposite way, which gets confusing when switching between bikes. This bike will need a stripdown to clean and service it soon as it's had a very hard winter.

Last edited:
I fitted new TT bars pre winter and training on them was going well until a few weeks back when I passed a haemorrhoid and I.m no longer getting power out when in the bars. Today after the first time on the road with the new position I decided to move the bars up 20mm. It could go up another 5mm but I'll need to find 5mm spacer.

I think I might need to do something with the road bike too, I'll wait till after the weekend and I might try flipping its stem.

si_c

Guru
Mrs C was out last night, so took over the kitchen and finally got round to fitting the aero extensions I bought for the commuter. It's probably a bit late now, but I've been getting fed up of headwinds, and these might help!

D

Deleted member 1258

New tyre fitted on my Eastway tonight, new tyre on the front and old front tyre fitted to the rear, rear tyre scrapped, it was well squared of but had a little life left. Was going to fit a new chain and cassette as well but the new chain, 10 speed, came without a power link, it just had a pin with it, something I hadn't seen before, and I haven't got a spare link so I've ordered two power links and will fit the chain and cassette when the links arrive. I also noticed the rear wheel bearings were rough so I'll have to strip and grease them whilst I'm working on the bike.

Edit, I've been online and apparently the pin is the usual way of connecting shimano chains, its just that I've been buying sram and KMC chains for the last 10 years and hadn't seen it before.

I finished off the Eastway this afternoon. Wheel bearings front and rear stripped cleaned and regreased, I was in two minds about doing the front, it was quite smooth and quiet, but I'm glad I did as the grease had turned to a black sludge, the rough rear was in the same condition but now is as smooth as silk, new cassette and chain fitted, indexing checked and a little runout on the rear rim corrected, just got to give it a polish now.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been playing this afternoon;

The Peugeot Premiere is finished after I got the rear wheel tidied up:
DSCF5365.JPG

That was followed by finishing new tyres on the Keith Lambert, although I'm not happy about the front one:

DSCF5355.JPG

Then fitted a rear mudguard extension to the Eastway and new rear gear cable outer for the last bit.

Just the purple Peugeot and my new Moulton Midi arrival to work on now. Oh, and to decide what to do with the Carlton.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Indexed gears on two bikes, cleaned chains on three, and aligned brakes on two. When my son did his Bikeability, the school left the bikes out in the snow (I was not impressed at the time!), and I've found tiny bits on rust on the chain and sprockets. Took a bit of cleaning, but all sorted now. Bike was new at Christmas! Did all this using my new maintenance stand from Lidl. Cracking piece of kit. Not even a wobble. Also used my Lidl track pump which I was not expecting much from, however, while being cheap and cheerful, it works quite well.

Top Bottom