1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Staff Member

Got the knockabout bike out late yesterday afternoon for my first ride in a couple of weeks only to find a flat front tyre and the brakes wouldn't release.

Fixed the puncture yesterday which took a while as I struggled to find what had caused it (turned out to be just a fragment of a thorn) and by then I'd missed the window of opportunity to start the ride I had in mind so I cleaned the bike instead and had a look at the brakes. Tinkering didn't help so I came back to it today to strip and regrease the pivots and replace the rear pads.

The rear pivots weren't too bad but the fronts were quite messy and showed the bike has had a hard winter. All is well again now though.:okay:
  2. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

I finally got around to starting my DT Swiss XR 331 wheel build with dynamo hub. I decided on the build to shave off 1.2kg from my touring rims and upgrade to schwalbe g-one tubeless tyres. Shortly after starting I realised that the supplied squorx nipples provided won't go in with a normal nipple driver, instead you need to fork out for their proprietary tool, damnit. Need to wait a few days for delivery.
  3. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Well-Known Member

Ohio, USA
    After much fussing with the new rack over two days, I realized that no matter how I tried to fiddle it would just not fit (not enough clearance, was mashing the fender into the wheel) so back to the shop it went. New one on with room to spare in no time! Super pleased, it is bigger and heavier than I wanted/need but it should hold up well.
    Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
  4. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

Huntingdon, UK
    Over the weekend I treated the CAADX to Ultegra R8000 front and rear derailleurs, new shift cables and bar tape.

Also fitted a Rotor BB30 to 24mm converter, RS500 chainset and new chain. I was getting fed up of replacing the BB30 bearings every 4-5000 miles.

5. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

More bl00dy cleaning & lubing x 6 bikes. I now have work room that smells of GT85 (used as a frame polish in the TI bikes)
  6. My rear derailleur hasn't been springing back for a while Ive repeatedly cleaned and lubed it and got a bit more life out of it but I finally bit the proverbial bullet and changed it. I cheated though and used the old cable which is running smooth, as I spent too long cleaning the bike, leaving me to set the limit screws and index the gears only. Fortunately everything is still running smoothly :-)

Attached Files:

7. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

3 Ikea wardrobes.
  8. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Pulled out the Raleigh Pioneer Trail and Dawes Tekarra for winter duty next week; cleaned and prepped.

My Eastway broke it's rear mudguard this week and has started to creak. Mudguard removed and clip-on fitted, new front brake pads, copper grease into bottom bracket area.

Then the embarrassing bit: the Peugeot I've had for about 5 months just needs wheels fitting properly. I had been re-building a nice pair, only to find they were 700c and the ones the bike came with were 27". Oh dear! The 27" front's fine but the back needs work; my next job.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

lost somewhere
    I fiddled about with the geometry of my loft hoist, hacked about some aluminium flats, and tried it out in the kitchen.
    loft hoist trial 230218.JPG The jury is out....
  10. the stupid one

the stupid one Well-Known Member

Repaired the tyre which p*nctured on Thursday. Took off both wheels, gave them a good clean and checked for any other damage. Cleaned the bike. Put the wheels back on, checked brakes and gave the rears a bit of a clean, cleaned and lubed the chain, indexed the gears.

My hands are filthy.
  11. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One.....

After 120 miles, decided that the boom length on the ICE trike was too short. Checked derailleur positioning big-big cogs and moved it out 1/2", time will tell but the legs are a little straighter now
  12. si_c

si_c Über Member

Cleaned the commuter, as I'm having to do every week at the moment. The bike wasn't too bad, but the drivetrain was black. Cleaned it all down, and it's now silver again. Sticky horrible stuff though.
    ADarkDraconis and dave r like this.
  13. Leaway2

Leaway2 Veteran

Manchester (Sale)
    New chain, cassette. brakes. <rant who thought those fiddly little allen screws that hold the brake blocks in the shoes were a good idea? /rant>
    HLaB, ADarkDraconis and dave r like this.
  14. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

I just built my first set of tubeless ready rims, and fitted Schwalbe G-One all rounders, went on nice and easy, much simpler than expected. DT Swiss XR 331 rims and the G-ones must be a good fit. No fuss with inflation, went on fine with my Bontrager Track Pump.
    ADarkDraconis, Justinitus and dave r like this.
  15. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

No bike fettling but did put some shelves up and fitted a couple of power sockets in the shed.

Tomorrow will be spent wiring up the sockets and fitting a couple of LED batten lights plus deciding how some of the bikes will be hung on the wall.
    ADarkDraconis and dave r like this.