What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
This is very unlike most cyclists here (that I know of.) I only ever use my front brake when coming to a full stop usually or slowing from a very high speed quickly, and then it is always still with my rear brake. I was always taught that back is used first and for regulating speed, and front is for stopping. Amazing how everyone is so different in their riding techniques (probably as different as our bikes, haha!)
This is how I use my brakes too.

Are our brakes reversed? I thought everyone had the rear brake on the right and front on the left, same as motorcycles.
They're reverse compared to the UK and Ireland (left/rear). I guess, but Im no expert, it's because we drive on the left its like that. I think other European countries that drive on the right like you also have the right/rear combo :-) Just to confuse matters I think some folk prefer them your way as its neater for cable runs (that's why I originally set them up your way) :-)

This is very unlike most cyclists here (that I know of.) I only ever use my front brake when coming to a full stop usually or slowing from a very high speed quickly, and then it is always still with my rear brake. I was always taught that back is used first and for regulating speed, and front is for stopping. Amazing how everyone is so different in their riding techniques (probably as different as our bikes, haha!)
I like to do something in between what you say and @dave r . I generally use the rear just for regulating then the front for actually stopping but the balance between each is dependent on the conditions. If its really sketchy conditions I would try to regulate speed so that I don't have to touch the front brake :-)

D

Deleted member 1258

I like to do something in between what you say and @dave r . I generally use the rear just for regulating then the front for actually stopping but the balance between each is dependent on the conditions. If its really sketchy conditions I would try to regulate speed so that I don't have to touch the front brake :-)

One of the things I like about the fixed in winter is that I can regulate my speed just by leaning back on the pedals, which keeps me away from the brakes a lot of the time.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I replaced the back wheel on my sons bike today. I am not sure exactly what happened but I think somehow the bearings on one side of the back wheel got mangled. This led to alot of play in the wheel making it essentially un-rideable.

I decided to swap the wheel with the broken bearing for another wheel. In the next few weeks I will completely recondition this wheel and keep it as a spare.

I replaced the existing, single-walled, wheel with an old, double-walled rear wheel from my daughter's bike. Some time ago this wheel got badly buckled. I bought a replacement wheel as I did not have time to fix it then but I kept the old (buckled) wheel as a spare.

About 2 months ago I thought I would attempt to unbuckling it (nothing to lose). As the buckling was quite severe I decided to just try unbuckling about 80-90% of the way and then just leave it to settle. This seems to have worked as when I got it out today it was quite easy to do the remaining unbuckling. I also managed to true for roundness (which I find more difficult). It's not perfect but it is good enough.

I put this replacement wheel on my sons bike and switched the freewheel from the old wheel to the replacement. I also had to dish the wheel slightly (+1/2 turn LHS, -1/2 turn RHS, on all spokes seemed to do the trick) then re-true.

I took the bike it for a test ride and realised I had made a bit of a schoolboy error. I had not reset the limit screws on the derailleur and readjusted the gears. When I changed into 1st the chain came off and got jammed between the spokes. Cue lots of curse words and black grease all over my hands trying to yank the chain out from between the spokes and the freewheel.

I dragged it back home and put in on the bike stand. I will finish it off it this evening. Time for a nice cup of tea and a sit down ...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

New tyre fitted on my Eastway tonight, new tyre on the front and old front tyre fitted to the rear, rear tyre scrapped, it was well squared of but had a little life left. Was going to fit a new chain and cassette as well but the new chain, 10 speed, came without a power link, it just had a pin with it, something I hadn't seen before, and I haven't got a spare link so I've ordered two power links and will fit the chain and cassette when the links arrive. I also noticed the rear wheel bearings were rough so I'll have to strip and grease them whilst I'm working on the bike.

Edit, I've been online and apparently the pin is the usual way of connecting shimano chains, its just that I've been buying sram and KMC chains for the last 10 years and hadn't seen it before.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpsmith

Veteran
Gave the Bianchi a thorough clean, ready for the engineer to visit as part of my accident claim. I wanted it showing how great the pre accident condition was, so they pay out accordingly. That’s the hope anyway. Fingers crossed that they don’t take too long as it’s doing my head in, looking so sorry for itself.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Eastway's received a new RH shifter (bought from @biggs682) - which means I've got gears again. It'll get a LH shifter at some point. Replacement rear mudguard also fitted.

Prepped the Keith Lambert, which didn't sell last year, for new tyres by removing the old tubs and sanding them. The replacement Vittoria Rally tyres are currently stretching on the wheels. Back on sale once this is done: I'm convinced it didn't sell because new tyres were needed.

My son's Cervelo had a mechanical in a race yesterday whilst leading :cursing: - the rear mech damaged in last week's crash failed completely. New rear mech needed.

si_c

Guru
Cleaned the bike again. Lots of black sticky stuff. Again.

Then to celebrate my endeavours, I went for a carvery lunch, followed by a curry, and I'm now marinating it all in a tub of ice cream. So I may need to fettle the plumbing tomorrow...

I have a Mavic wheel which has a slipping ratchet/ freewheel which I thought I would take apart. Looking down inside the hub I could see what looked like a Spline type bolt. To try to find out what size and type the bolt was I found a candle that just fitted and lightly tapped it to get an impression.
I didn't have a tool of the right size but I did find an old piece of steel hexagonal bar. Using a round needle file I filed 12 half round grooves into the end and tried it for fit. I must have frightened it into submission as a quick turn released it. Once I had removed it I discovered that my 11mm bar was the correct size and I need not have filed it .

Attachments

• IMGP7141.JPG
    IMGP7141.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP7142.JPG
    IMGP7142.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP7143.JPG
    IMGP7143.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP7144.JPG
    IMGP7144.JPG