What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. arch684

arch684 Veteran

Adjusted the front mech on the tourer, marked the seat post with tape then removed it to regrease and cleaned the inside of the seat tube using a rag and a wire coat hanger

dave r and mgs315 like this.
  2. mgs315

mgs315 Well-Known Member

Reminds me I need to do that tomorrow. Creaking when pedalling but I reckon it’s the seat post. Driving me nuts but I keep forgetting when I get off the sodding thing.

dave r likes this.
  3. Asa Post

Asa Post Small lungs, weak legs

Switched the tyres on the spare wheels from 23mm Continental Ultra Sports to 25mm Gatorskins - to see if they'd go on the bike without rubbing on the mudguards.

And they fit beautifully :wahhey:.

dave r and NorthernDave like this.
  4. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Set up the synchronized shifting on the Di2, will give it a try on Saturday. :okay:

dave r likes this.
  5. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

New brake cables and gear cables on my work MTB, a job I'd been putting off for ages. Re-greased the headset (which really needed doing) and hubs (which weren't too bad, though the rear races are pitted so it's impossible to get the bearing pre-load just so).

Tried to fit a different RD I bought a while ago to make the whole drivetrain matching STX, but found the cage was a bit bent and there was a lot of play in it, so switched back to the old unexciting but perfectly servicable AceraX one again, and swapped the jockey wheels over as they were getting a bit worn.

Took an embarassingly long time in total but all finished tonight! Looking forward to taking it out for a spin at the weekend.

dave r likes this.
  6. I'd left the chain on a bit too long to re-use the cassette so I fitted a new one of each tonight (chain and cassette).

dave r likes this.
  7. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

No actual bike work but work has begun on the shed re-arrangement

8. si_c

si_c Veteran

Took the cranks off the commuter, removed the worn big ring, took the new one out of the packet. Ooops. Ordered the wrong BCD. Back in packet. Cranks back on. Bugger.

Leaway2, ChrisEyles and dave r like this.
  9. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Been there done that, I forget who I ordered it off but I returned it and they supplied the right one.

10. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I recon I might have the same problem on my geared bike when I start using it again in the spring, I covered just over 3000 miles last summer so it will definitely need a new chain before I ride it, but the cassette is on its second chain and I might not get away with a third one.

HLaB and Salty seadog like this.
  11. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

found it..:okay:

Vantage likes this.
  12. There's a lot of variables but I was surprised once when I changed a chain only at 4,500 miles and it synced perfectly with the old cassette. You might get lucky

This time expected slip and replaced both but managed to get slippage anyway I suspect that the derailleur isn't springing back on small/small combos ☺

dave r likes this.
  13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Some flat bar hydraulic disc brake fettling for me.

Both the levers on the rear brakes of my two bikes have to be 'pumped up' before every ride.

My theory is the longer hose run compared to the front gives more chance for air to get in.

I didn't fancy a full bleed, but decided to check the fluid reservoir level.

A simple operation on the Tektro Auriga brake, a bit more complicated on Shimano XT due to an extra plate and screw inside the reservoir above the diaphragm.

Both fluid levels were low, the Auriga was close to empty.

The brakes take mineral oil, which my Three-in-One copy brand bottle says it is, so that's what I used.

I did some 'burping' as well, although didn't see much in terms of air bubbles.

The levers now bite further out, so that's an improvement, and I did the job this morning so hopefully I won't have to pump the levers after the bikes have not been ridden for a few days.

dave r and ChrisEyles like this.
  14. si_c

si_c Veteran

My fault unfortunately, and the supplier don't have the correct BCD, so I'll just return and have ordered a new one from someone else. 2nd time lucky. I hope.

dave r likes this.
  15. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

Since getting a Spa Elan, I've really enjoyed the slightly more upright riding position given by its taller head tube so this morning I flipped the stem on my Ventus to do sometrhing similar as an experiment and I think I'll be keeping like that as it seemed to work. May try something similar on the second one used mostly for commuting & wet weather.

As a side effect of this, I found out that they're on 110mm stems, not 100mm as I thought, so I may source a cheap 100mm stem to try.

dave r likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice