Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.
Fitted a new rear tube to Colin the Claus Butler.
Epoxy and a bit of black duct tape save the day
I fitted a rear tube to my commuter bike also, mainly because I use tubes with Presta valves, and I somehow managed to snap the end of the valve while pumping up the previous tube. It doesn't occur often, but it's a bit annoying when it does occur.
Fitted a new 80mm stem on the Orbea, orginally the bike came with 110mm stem and I was overstretched, then change to a 90mm think am still a little overstretched. Just went round the block and test it and it feels much better, we'll see how it goes this afternoon for a longer ride if I got time.
Cleaned out the shed where I store parts, with stuff being all over the place since I've not been very mobile for 4 months.
I've now got other wheels to fix (2 done) plus a pile of parts to go. On the +ve side it's clear and somehow can fit another bike in.
Gave Colin a clean and lube, sprayed the steel fittings with Duck Oil.
Quiet weekend this weekend. Cleaned my office and put some new bookshelves up.
Weekend before last I replaced my chain and Jockey wheels. I checked the indexing with the bike on the stand and it seemed OK. However on Saturday I overshifted past the biggest sprocket a couple of times (fortunately realised what was happening and eased off immediately so the chain didn't jam behind the cassette). I guess that's something to do with the new jockey wheels. Of course this had to happen in the dark when I was competely knackered. Eventually I just stayed away from bottom gear, which combined with my knackeredness (I'd done over 2,500m of climbing) meant walking on the last two steep hills. The fact that at one stop I got off my bike and promptly fell into a ditch and dropped the bike may have had something to do with it.
So yesterday I re-indexed the whole thing. Oddly enough the limit screws were waaay off. I suppose it's not all that odd as the indexing doesn't normally try to throw it beyond the limit. Strangely the front mech needed a bit of adjustment too in order to stop the chain rubbing in bottom (little front big rear). I don't see why the jockey wheels should have anything to do with that. Anyway that's all done - using the random twiddle method I eventually got it working, and a quick test ride seemed to suggest it's OK. And replaced the brake blocks while I was at it. And changed the annoyingly mismatching skewer so the QR levers front and back match.
Minor fettle this morning, 107 mile last week so my usual weekly check, chain on my fixed has been checked, it didn't need adjusting, cleaned and lubed, tyres have been checked for debris, the front brake has been adjusted and the bikes been washed down.
Was getting some slippage on the big ring today as I turned it over, so checked it out earlier. I think it's a bit worn. Most of the ring is ok, but I can see a bit of shark toothing at the bottom of this picture. Ordered a new one, but won't be here till Wednesday at the earliest, so will just have to put up with it.
Sorted out a DAB radio for the workshop.
Odd that it is so worn in just one spot. Even allowing for it being at the crank torque spot it is unusual for the big ring to wear so much and so unevenly.
Fitted the new bottom bracket bearings to my Grade last night. It was a doddle, they drifted in quite snugly using the old bearing outer as the drift to carefully tap them home in the Praxis adaptor. All silky smooth now and took it out for a 10 mile test run in the dark just to be sure. Now need to slightly adjust the trim as getting a little chainring rub in some gears and also a bit of rear brake disc rub when out of the saddle. Will reseat the back wheel before adjusting the caliper as it is unusual for the centreing to go out of it's own accord (However, anything is possible after the CX race I did when using the bike last. Did I mention it was 'ORRIBLE!)
Annoying squeak on the commute home last night. transmission related, took a look and noticed signs on the crank rubbing on the BB cup (hollowtech). Convinced myself it was this, so fitted a new BB, spun the pedals and still a squeak. Back to square one, tuned pedals slowly, and hey presto, slightly rusty chain link :-(. I do use a rather dryish lube (Fenwicks), and Saturdays ride had been a cold, moist ride, and even though I'd thought the chain would be okay, clearly not. Relubed, and a touch of Finish Line wet lube and squeak was gone this morning. Still the BB was a bit lumpy when I looked at it off the bike, was close to needing changing. New BB ordered to go in box of spares.
I know, the rest of the ring looks fine, it's just that small area, which is probably why I'd missed it. It's done under 10k km as well, so really wasn't expecting it to be worn, and I only really inspected it because I was getting chain slip, and it's a new cassette, chain and rear derailleur.
In hindsight, I'm thinking this is probably why I had a snapped derailleur hanger last week, but I thought it was the cassette as I'd just changed the chain.
Separate names with a comma.