What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Same frame but with a carbon fork as the 4.0. Mine runs a Claris/2300 groupset as it's a winter bike and arrived as a frameset/seatpost/stem/saddle.

Tiagra group set on mine, its my summer best bike.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tiagra group set on mine, its my summer best bike.

My 'best' bike is a NeilPryde Nazaré, shown below, possibly too quick for me:
NeilPryde-Nazare.jpg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet more fettling this morning - fitting recentlt purchased flat pedals (Welgo V8 copies) to the 13 Alpha & Giant Rapid flat bar bikes in place of the Shimano A530 SPD/Flat pedals I have been using.

Following today's commute on the 13, the next fettling will be to lower the saddle by a few mm to compensate for the different pedal/sole height.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Finally got the knack of truing a pair of disc rotors in situ. Until yesterday, it really had been witchcraft to me without a truing stand. All guess work.

But the method I found that worked for me was to release both calipers, then adjusted the inboard calliper till it just touched the rotor. Then trued the place where it was touching. Adjusted (tightened) the caliper once more and trued again.

Then I released the inboard caliper and repeated as above for the outboard caliper.

Then released the above.

To set the pads, I adjusted the inboard caliper till it just touched the rotor then backed off one click till it was free. Finally adjusted the outboard rotor (which on Avid BB7s is the active piston) till it touched and backed off a notch.

Jobs a good ‘un.

C R

Guru
Got some 26x1.5 slicks for my bike, so got them on today. I somehow managed to puncture one of the tubes, and as Murphy says, I had no spares or workable patch kit. It would be no good to have a patch kit, though, because I can't for the life of me work out where the tube is leaking, though it does leak and fast, I suspect the valve, but can't see any bubbling from anywhere under water. In any case, got some new tubes from Halfords (I have a spare now) and got the new tires sorted. The ride feels nice, and a lot quieter than with the knoblies, but haven't noticed a lot of difference in speed, will see. Also cleaned and greased the pedal bearings, which were starting to be a bit sticky.

I have been doing a bit more work on the short ally mudguard. It needs a bit more work yet but it is coming on .
I filed down the bumps and flatted and polished it up a bit, I'm happy with it so far but haven't quite decided on it's final shape.
I included some of the tools that I used.

Attachments

• IMGP7190.JPG
    IMGP7190.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP7195.JPG
    IMGP7195.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP7197.JPG
    IMGP7197.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP7200.JPG
    IMGP7200.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 40
D

Deleted member 1258

I finally got round to fitting the new front mudguard this afternoon, the back I fitted the other night needs a minor fettle, I was out on thursday and it was nice to ride in silence, no rattle on quiet country lanes to annoy me, but I noticed that I've cut the back stays slightly long, they want about half an inch trimmed off.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Levelled the saddle and fixed the mudguard (hopefully) on the commuter.

Dropped the Allez off at the bike shop to get a spoke fixed - second wheel this week I've had go on me :sad:

arch684

Veteran
I finally got round to fitting the new front mudguard this afternoon, the back I fitted the other night needs a minor fettle, I was out on thursday and it was nice to ride in silence, no rattle on quiet country lanes to annoy me, but I noticed that I've cut the back stays slightly long, they want about half an inch trimmed off.
Better cut too long than too short,don't ask how i know this

DRM

Guru
I fitted a set of Miche Performance brake calipers to the Verenti, they were only £25 from Wiggle for the pair (in silver) to replace the dreadful Tektro’s it came with, a quick test shows that I can now lock the back wheel up which isn’t bad for long drop calipers, I swapped the one piece blocks on the new calipers for the Swiss stop blocks I had tried on the Tektro calipers which improved them a little, but not much, seems a decent upgrade for the price.

Top Bottom