What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Rear light was rattling a bit, so wrapped an elastic band around it. Problem sorted, & went out for a 25 miler this evening

BTW - absolutely cracking sunset in North Yorkshire tonight, and had a close encounter with a Barn Owl. Don't know who got the biggest surprise - me or him!

Camrider

Cleaned up my bike after riding through flood water on Sunday and thought I would put on a new chain while I was at it. Should have been a simple job on a hub geared bike but after it was done I had a very noisy bike. After much fiddling about it seems the KMC X8.93 does not like my Rohlhoff and protests by making lots of grinding noise at the tight spot (even after giving the chain a lot of slack).

Had to swap it out for the cheaper (and duller) Sram PC830 I got to fit my wifes commuter which works fine. I then tried the KMC on the commuter where it performs as a chain should.

400bhp

Guru
Last 3 nights - completely stripped down and cleaned/greased/relubed the drivetrain, bottom bracket, derailleurs and crank.

Tomorrrow night-strip down the headset and clean/regrease.

:cuppa: time now.

HovR

Über Member
My new stem arrived in the post today, so I went to fit that.. Only to find out that the steerer clamp end of the new stem was shorter than the original, so I didn't have the right number of spacers. Right, off to Halford's to get some more spacers - Went to fit them, and with them all fitted the top of the steerer was exactly level with the top of the spacers! Grr!

So I ended up having to cut down the steerer, which I bought the spacers to avoid having to do! All together now though, and the 5 degree rise (inverted) is far better than the high-rise stem that I had on before.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having suffered yet another (very) wet commute I decided that it was time to replace the chain, cassette, tyres, brake pads and Crud Roadracers with the replacement bits I've been stocking up with over the past few weeks to the Triban. It certainly needed them as it's been my default commuter ride in anything other than perfect conditions and 2800 miles in ten months is a lot of road dirt turned into grinding paste despite regular cleaning.

Three hours of stripping the old bits off, cleaning the frame & wheels then fitting all the new parts and fine tuning the gears was rewarded with a cold beer on completion. Being on late shift this week means that I didn't start the maintenance until about 21:30 and so the beer didn't get opened until just before 1am when I'd cleaned up and put everything away.

I checked the old parts removed this morning and found that the brake pads only had a couple of mm left before the metal holder did the braking (not noticed while fitted due to dirt build up), the cassette had 2 gears with horribly worn teeth caused by chain wear (12 links = somewhere between 12 1/4 and 12 1/2 inches when measured a couple of weeks ago hence the new chain ready) and the Cruds had split in one area and were worn thin by tyre rub on another. The tyres however are still serviceable despite one of them being an old GP4000S which had done 5000 miles on the front of my Boardman prior to being fitted to the rear of Triban about 500 miles ago.

Fettled my 2010 Road team Boardman into a Scott CR1

All the old bits transferred to the CR1 frame, just the front mech missing

2012-05-05%2015.23.58.jpg

PpPete

Legendary Member
Put the SKS Chromoplastics (mudguards) back on the VN Yukon (having taken them off for "the summer" during that warm spell in March)
Ready for a couple of days serious action now: IOW Randonnee tomorrow and a 200 DIY on Monday

subaqua

What’s the point
stripped and cleaned the rear mech to sort the ocasional chain jump. cleaned the chain , then checked it for wear and its at 0.75. went out and bought new chain . sundays fettling is fitting the chain.

gbb

Legendary Member
Getting the Bianchi rebuilt at a monolithically slow pace...decided to drag it out and have a play with the siezed downtube bosses, so after endless deliberation on how to get a 4mm drill into the boss thats so so close to the downtube, a normal drill wont get anywhere near, so got me a hex drive drill set from ToolFix for less than £3, mounted that on a hex extension, mounted on a battery drill....worked perfectly. Just got to tap it out now.
Seatpost is still siezed, despite numerous soaks in WD40. Its going to work with me maybe this weekend, saddle clamp will be put in a large bench vice.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Iknow it ain't a bike, but they don't need anything doing to them.
Found out what was wrong with the hoover, ordered parts should be here on wednesday, wife well happy.

wakou

Über Member
I have had my bike for about a year, it is a Specialized Tricross Sport. The front brake has always been rubbish. I have tried all adjustments, different straddle cable designs, koolstop salmon pads, but still horrible grabby judder, poor braking and incredibly loud squealing, I finally got hold of one of these:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_221733_langId_-1_categoryId_165608

And crucially one of these:

hang.png

What a transformation! No squeal, no judder, and smooth progressive brakes that actually slow down the bike.
If you have a Tricross, or indeed any bike with Canti brakes, and carbon forks with inserts, I heartily recommend the Specialized fork hanger...
I think that Spesh, having basically admitted that the brakes are crap (by designing the hanger) should give them away gratis, but for £10 (Hargroves) this is the best fettling money I have ever spent.

Top Bottom