What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 459327 View attachment 459328 View attachment 459329 View attachment 459330 View attachment 459331 View attachment 459332 Just about finished my eBay Genesis Day One. New mini v brakes fitted with new S/steel cables, bars now wrapped in retro looking perforated tape, new leather saddle and pedals too. Just a new chain to fit now and maybe some road tyres. I’m delighted with how it looks.
The paint looks fab, out in the sunshine it is actually metal flake, the first time I’ve seen this, I’ve tried to capture this in a photo.
Nice saddle ;) Seen one just like it on my dining table!
Liking the bar tape too, what is it?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Nice saddle ;) Seen one just like it on my dining table!
Liking the bar tape too, what is it?
Bar tape is Velox Guidoline from Planet X, the colour is light brown although other retailers call the same tape honey or caramel. It’s about the closest colour I could find to the saddle.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTVXSFTP/velox-guidoline-soft-perforated-bar-tape

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
More bling fitted to the Bianchi today :blush: I wanted to try a ceramic speed oversized pulley but didn't want to pay the ridiculous price tag. I found a similar oversized pulley system on AliExpress for around a sixth of the price and thought I would give it a whirl :okay: I'm quite pleased I did so far, the bearings seem excellent and the overall quality seems good. Time will tell how well they hold up but so far so good :okay: Since the new pulleys would need a longer chain I upgraded that too while I was at it :laugh:

View attachment 459213

View attachment 459215

View attachment 459214

View attachment 459216
A report on that would be good, and a link,:okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm riding with it tomorrow so will let you know how I get on :laugh:

Here's the link:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5iew2mk

So I rode 65 miles on it this morning and didn't notice it was there :okay: I'm taking that as a good thing, I doubt you'll ever notice the claimed power gains so really all I can say is the gears still worked and it didn't break :laugh:

My main concern is the thing is really light and quite flimsy in comparison to the standard cage it replaced - it was more solid once attached to the mech with the pulley bolts tightened slightly and the chain fitted, but I still had some concerns. Todays roads were really bumpy in places; I pedalled through the bumps and tried to bounce the chain around a bit to see if it would derail or cause other problems but it behaved itself perfectly. Of course this was only 65 miles - realistically I'd have to report back after a few thousand for it to be useful information but there you go. It is what it is, a cheap version of something very expensive. I took a risk on it and so far it seems to have paid off - plus it does look rather cool :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
Made a front mudguard extension out of a plastic bacon packet and stitched it to the guard with cable ties. Mainly because I've been sat in the garden doing the very important job of 'making sure no cats attack the guinea pigs' whilst they are in their run-thing (it has no roof). I volunteer for this job every time, as I can pretend I'm camping (I've made coffee on the camping stove even though the kitchen is 10 feet away) and it's very hard to tell it apart from 'sitting in the garden doing sod all' Although obviously I've been very busy doing bike servicing; I've also treated some rust, cleaned out the drum brake and determined that the rumble that I thought was the bearing on the back wheel is not the bearing on the back wheel, unless it only does that with the weight of me on it - in which case it will probably carry on for a while. Oh, and I've bolted a spare rear light to the back mudguard as I had the drill out to do the front anyway.

No picture of the bacon-guard as I've lost my phone. It's good though. It was 'Finest' bacon so the packet has ridges in it which makes it curve quite nicely and will hopefully help it retain it's shape.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Made a front mudguard extension out of a plastic bacon packet and stitched it to the guard with cable ties. Mainly because I've been sat in the garden doing the very important job of 'making sure no cats attack the guinea pigs' whilst they are in their run-thing (it has no roof). I volunteer for this job every time, as I can pretend I'm camping (I've made coffee on the camping stove even though the kitchen is 10 feet away) and it's very hard to tell it apart from 'sitting in the garden doing sod all' Although obviously I've been very busy doing bike servicing; I've also treated some rust, cleaned out the drum brake and determined that the rumble that I thought was the bearing on the back wheel is not the bearing on the back wheel, unless it only does that with the weight of me on it - in which case it will probably carry on for a while. Oh, and I've bolted a spare rear light to the back mudguard as I had the drill out to do the front anyway.

No picture of the bacon-guard as I've lost my phone. It's good though. It was 'Finest' bacon so the packet has ridges in it which makes it curve quite nicely and will hopefully help it retain it's shape.

That sounds like the kind of job I would volunteer for too :laugh::okay:

kiwifruit

Über Member
Spring clean the Canyon winter bike. 20190330_162231.jpg
Took mud guards off, degrease chain and put new brake pads on.

Attachments

• 20190330_162231.jpg
    20190330_162231.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 15

tom73

Guru
Freed bike from the turbo ready for an early morning spin. Washed , lubed, tyres checked along with some added bling.
1st time given chain a real good clean off the bike.
Just need to fettle the sink Mrs 73 is out for the evening so plenty of time to get it looking like new :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_2775.JPG
    IMG_2775.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 19
D

Deleted member 1258

New left side STI lever fitted to my Eastway tonight, and it felt and sounded better than the old one when I tested it, a nice straight forward job, the first time I've changed a gear lever since the days of downtube shifters. I also fitted a new pair of tyres.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Swapped the Brooks Team Pro on the Raleigh for the new B17N I got earlier in the year. It'll no doubt need a few small tweaks to get the position exactly right but it feels pretty good on a short test.

In many ways I like the Team Pro and I've done quite a few big distance rides on it, but the shape has never really worked with this bike (too much tendancy for me to slip forward even with it tilted well back) and I believe it would be better suited to a much sportier riding position so I'll keep it aside for that road bike I keep promising myself.;)

Top Bottom