What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I took a file to one side of the RH pedal on my cyclocross bike...

I have been getting an incredibly annoying squeaky sound from that side when riding the bike. I did a 100 km ride on it a couple of weeks ago and the noise was there for over 6 hours, doing my head in!

I have SPD pedals on all of my bikes. The ones on the other bikes are the cheap, simple and totally reliable Shimano M520s. The ones on the CX bike are M530s, which have a small platform area round the SPD mechanism. It gives a bit more support to the foot. The trouble is, it does that by having the tread of the shoe making contact with it all of the time. My feet rotate slightly through the pedal stroke; I hadn't realised how much until I rode a few miles with my feet fixed in place on another type of pedal - it felt quite uncomfortable and I yearned for the missing 'float'.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that the movement of the tread against the platform is what is making the noise. (I tried adjusting things and lubing them but it didn't help for long.) The tops of the platforms have started to wear from the constant movement of the tread against them so I decided to help the process along and file down the remaining high points. I have done it on just one side for now so I can test my hypothesis by clipping in on the filed side or the unfiled side. If the bodge has worked then I will file the other 3 sides too.

Other 'fettling' was to replace a tube on the back wheel of my best bike. I had pumped it up before a ride a couple of days ago but the knurled nut on the end of the valve sheared off when I tried to retighten it. Air pressure held the valve shut for the duration of the ride but it was only a matter of time before I had problems with it so I thought I'd sort it in comfort at home rather than ending up doing it at the roadside one day. After removing the tube, I tried reinflating it and what I was expecting to happen did - without the knurled nut to hold the core of the valve in place, the core got blasted into the tube and was lost. As soon as I removed the pump, the tube instantly deflated.

dave r, Reynard and JhnBssll like this.
  2. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I gave up on the old MTB saddle as well and replaced it with the original Wiggins one that came with my road bike. I'd forgotten how uncomfortable that one is for anything more than short distances, but it's the best of the three options I currently have.

Went for a test ride and had to stop to tweak saddle height a few times.

A little bit more fettling still needed on the bike, but it's a promising steed.

dave r and JhnBssll like this.
  3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

New bar tape wrapped. My favourite: Widget.

Titanium bike.

Bright orange bar tape.

Drool. You have full permission.

JhnBssll, dave r and LeetleGreyCells like this.
  4. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

I brought a new pair of cycle shoes Xmas time, shimano two bolt SPD ones, I couldn't stop them creaking whilst I was clipped in, if I managed to silence them the creak would be back in less than a couple of hours, the pedals are single sided shimano click R's, if I swapped to the flat side silence. They have been replaced by a pair of cheap Decathlon ones and I'm riding clipped in, in silence again.

ColinJ likes this.
  5. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Whipped the front wheel off the Stumpjumper, it was the last one containing the rubbish finishline sealant. Tyre off, cleaned up, filled with new latex based sealant and tyre reseated. I also swapped out the valve to match the rear wheel. Jobs a goodun, the remains of the bottle of finishline is now in the bin.

dave r, Heltor Chasca and Reynard like this.
  6. IBarrett

IBarrett Senior Member

I bought a secondhand ‘summer’ bike over winter and though it had decent Ksyrium wheels I prefer my Hunt Aero
    Tonight I was doing a timed flat run and the cassette on the Ksyrium is 11-28 so I thought I’d swap out my 12-28
    The 11-28 was filthy so I shoved it in the parts washer and when I peeled, scrubbed and scraped all the crap off it was surprised to find it was the type with interchangeable cogs.

It was refitted shiney and looking new but then I didn’t like the noise the chain was making so I fitted a new chain too.
    Then I had to re-index the gears.

So much for a 5 minute cassette change, but it was lovely on the speed run tonight and I averaged 21mph over a flatfish 27 miles - with traffic and hitting every traffic light on the route at red.

7. De Sisti

De Sisti Über Member

Applied some wd40 to the r/h shifter of my 2006 Campag ergo levers. Still silky-smooth shifting.

ColinJ, dave r and JhnBssll like this.
  8. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Cleaned and oiled the drivetrain of Wiggy #2, the Chartres as I had a few sticky gear shifts on my test ride yesterday.

Chain was bone dry, jockey wheels were gummed up, and there were bits of plastic bag tangled in the rear derailleur. The latter was neatly taken care of with a pair of tweezers.

On closer inspection, the big chain ring is a little worn. It will probably see me through the summer before it'll want replacing. Given the fund I had for my N+1, it's no biggie, as there's ample budget for bits.

9. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I’m there now. A case of tightening the cable a bit to control the release pressure a bit. It also seems to work better when you are pedalling and there is tension on the chain which controls the down shift some what. All is sweet.

JhnBssll likes this.
  10. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

New saddle (Charge Ladle) arrived at lunchtime, so fitted it to the bike. Will need to go for a bimble later to fine-tune the set-up - I've set it up like on the Rouen, which is a good starting point.

Oiling the transmission has improved matters somewhat, but hasn't solved the problems. FD now shifts ok, but the RD still has issues. Sometimes the shifts are smooth, other times it takes a while to make up its mind, and if neither of those, the chain will skip across the cassette, dropping the chain onto a random cog - invariably not the one I wanted.

Worn chain, perhaps? I do have a chain wear tool, I'd better use it to check, I suppose... :blush:

11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

I've just been washing my Brompton - it's going on holiday soon, and NZ immigration / biosecurity don't like unclean bikes...

12. I test rode the bike I did the strip and rebuild of at the weekend. The rear brake wasn’t quite right, so I changed the cable for a super stiff PTFE coated cable I bought from Decathlon a year ago, but hadn’t used. Crikey:eek: it felt like I’d hit a wall when I pulled the rear brake the first time :laugh:. It feels like a new bike again, which isn’t bad for less than a hundred quids worth of bits and a couple of grazed knuckles, and a bit of swearing.

13. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

I put a road clutch back into the GTO Twin Turbo on Sunday, took 10 hours.

Felt like I'd been beaten up on Monday!.

Needs a bit of spit an polish in the engine bay next..

20190331_125749.jpg 20190331_133628.jpg 20190401_124852.jpg 20190401_141333.jpg

14. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Nope, not the chain. Back to the drawing board... :sad:

Re-tension cable, maybe? :scratch: What's the best way of doing that on a bike with trigger shifters?

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  15. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Same as with drop bar shifters.

Click the shifter until the chain should be on the smallest cog and then release the cable from the deraileur. If the chain is on the smallest cog, then tension the cable as best you can by hand and secure to the derailleur - adjust the tension with the barrel adjusters as required.

If the chain is not on the smallest cog, adjust the low setting screw on the derailleur until it drops down to the smallest cog, then tension & adjust as above.

If this doesn't work, get hold of a derailleur hanger tool to check that the hanger is straight then repeat the above. Alternatively. if you don't have a bike stand to do all this on, have a word with the LBS you used to have the pedals removed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice