What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

I remember a seven speed rear mech many years ago that developed free play in the pivot pins, I found myself with a mech that would change up or change down but wouldn't do both and I had to scrap it.

2. TigerT

TigerT Über Member

It’s been a day of chain and cassette cleaning today.

My old Roubaix has been my winter bike and has been totally abused riding through mud and snow. The chain was making a crunching noise so I took the hint and cleaned it. Then I took the wheels off, cleaned the cassette and the braking surfaces, cleaned the brakes and put it all back together. Took it for a 50km Test ride and it’s working really nicely again.

I have a long ride planned for tomorrow so when I got back, I cleaned the chain on my Emonda as well.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2019
  3. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Replaced a shabby old plastic water bottle cage on my Raleigh MTB with a bargain alloy frame type one from Chain Reaction. The shabby one has now been fitted to my pub bike, which hasn't got any frame bosses - so I had to be inventive in my use of double sided sticky tape and cable ties. It looks shite, but it works and it hasn't slipped position or fallen off yet after 13 miles riding today. A quality bodge I reckon.

DCBassman, Tenkaykev, dave r and 2 others like this.
  4. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

You could always fall back on the old engineer's mantra:

If it doesn't move and it should, WD40, if it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape... ;)

raleighnut, dave r, JhnBssll and 2 others like this.
  5. SkipdiverJohn

I'm a big believer in duct tape, but on bikes it's better used for patching up the sort of battered old saddle with the foam coming out of that most cyclists wouldn't be seen dead with. I'm sure the tape has bike thief repellent qualities especially the silver-grey variety when used on a black saddle. :laugh:
    For the water bottle I wrapped double sided round the seatpost as it sticks like you-know-what to a blanket, then used multiple cable ties pulled up nice and tight so they deformed the tape. That way the ties won't slip down the seat tube under the weight of the water, and the bottle cage won't rotate out of position and get in the way of my legs.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2019
    C R, dave r and Reynard like this.
  6. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

You could've used an old inner tube and a pair of hose clips, you know... ;)

Duct tape is good for fixing racing cars, although it doesn't always go *entirely* to plan... :crazy: (P.S. Yes, this is one of my photos, and yes, I have the whole sequence of the body shell peeling off the chassis like a banana...)

IMG_1848.jpg

7. SkipdiverJohn

That would have made a better and more elegant job of it, but would have also required a full search of my tool shed to locate some suitable jubilee clips. There was a roll of sticky tape and a packet of cable ties immediately to hand indoors, so laziness/convenience won the day!

C R and dave r like this.
  8. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

:laugh:

You mean you don't have a re-purposed bookshelf with all these oddments in old jam jars so that you can see what you've got at a glance? :giggle:

raleighnut and C R like this.
  9. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

I built this for a (tall) friend. The frame was professionally re-enamelled and lined but never built up. I got it for a song. Most of the parts are recycled from an old Holdsworth Mistral or came from my bits box. I built the wheels for £90 from all-new components (Miche track hubs, Exal rims, DT Rev and Comp spokes).

47549214391_18ef43deb2_z.jpg 20190406_153420 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

As it's a parts bin special, it has rather funky Weinmann 999 centre-pulls. And yes, the brake shoes are fitted the right way around...they're closed at both ends these days!

40583313063_ab5cdddf57_z.jpg 20190406_153509 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

10. Leaway2

Leaway2 Guru

Further to my earlier post. The freehub bearings were absolutely goosed. Both collapsed as I tried to get them out. I'll take the pawls out later and clean it all up. I have ordered new bearings, so its a wait until they come now.
    freehub_disassebled.jpg

11. SkipdiverJohn

You've learned the hard way not to believe all the marketing BS from manufacturers trying to sell their crappy sealed unit throwaway bearings in place of proper cup & cone ones that you can overhaul yourself. I refuse to have any axle/shaft bearings on any of my bikes that aren't DIY serviceable using a pot of grease.

Leaway2 likes this.
  12. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

If they'd been cup and cone bearings, chances are the cups would be pitted and a new freehub (or even new hub and wheelbuild) would be needed.

Even traditional Campag hubs with replaceable cups are uneconomic to repair, unless they're Record. If both cones and cups need replacing, it's upward of £30 per wheel. A pair of 6001 cartridge bearings is about a fiver.

dave r and Leaway2 like this.
  13. SkipdiverJohn

Depends how fussy you are. I've got several spare wheels that I've harvested off scrap bikes, where the bearings were semi-seized or rough running due to neglected maintenance. Some have got signs of surface degradation to the cups & cones, but all I do is strip & clean them up and then put them back together with new grease. They might still not be perfect after overhaul, but they are still fully functional bearings all the same. Since I don't ride on perfectly smooth polished surfaces that impart almost no vibration into the bike, any minute residual trace of roughness is going to be completely lost in the sea of feedback vibration that you get from real-life road surfaces.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
    dave r likes this.
  14. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

Tinkering position on new TCR . Seat up a smidge dropped a 5mm spacer at the front . First use of my torque wrench .test ride tomorrow to see how I go

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
    dave r, JhnBssll and Reynard like this.
  15. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Last night, put clipless pedals on my daughter's Frog 62. And a new bottle cage on my son's Islabike - the previous one snapped. It was metal, and one side sheared.

dave r, JhnBssll and Reynard like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice