What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Bit of wheel changing on the flat bar bikes.
    I recently treated myself to a new set of wheels from Superstar Components so these were set up & fitted with the remarkably fast & comfortable 35mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres I've been running on the Pickenflick. Totally unnecessary bling, but why not...
    Pickenflick - Updated (1).jpg The Mavic Aksiums and 28mm GP4000s I'd initially intended to run on this bike have now been transferred onto the Giant Rapid.
    While moving the bikes out of the shed to make working space, I also found that the front tyre of the Spa Elan was flat - this turned out to be a small piece of flint that had only just penetrated the tube and has now been patched.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
    keithmac, rugby bloke, dave r and 5 others like this.
  2. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Now that's eye-catching. I really like that. :wub:

tom73 and Jenkins like this.
  3. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

^^^^^ me too. I love red on bikes!

Reynard and Jenkins like this.
  4. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

:laugh:

Both my Wiggins bikes have a fair bit of red on them. And my two "bitsas" are also red. I sense a trend here... :whistle:

alicat likes this.
  5. Part one of a strip down and upgrade of my faithful old Triban 520 today.

6A2CF296-4C1B-476D-B655-26580FFCFBA0.jpeg

That’s a full R7000 105 Groupset.

9F8DB466-621A-4DF8-AD31-5B3B97B928EF.jpeg

Bars stripped down and Sora Brifters removed.

0A5A0CBA-5ABD-4F03-8331-1B870E600769.jpeg

Everything removed waiting for the refit.

F8E4BF2A-9F6D-4E93-8169-A77557AD184E.jpeg

White Lithium spray grease applied liberally to the frame awaiting the threaded BB and chainset.

I’ve actually fitted all the bits except the front mech. The reason being that the GS was a bargain, but they only had a braze on mech, this bike has a band on mech, so I’ve ordered a band on mech from Wiggle and I’ll keep the braze on as a spare as I’ve got a couple of bikes that will take a braze on mech. Tomorrow I’ll hopefully stick the front mech on, re tape the bars, index everything, adjust the brakes, and give it a test ride.

6. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Re-cleaned and re-greased the chain on the Chartres. Adjusted the cleat tension as well.

Also (non-bike fettling) repaired a scratch post that snapped at the base by removing the broken plastic insert and old bolt, tapping in a 12 inch length of ash wood, and securing the two with a nail through the original bolt hole. Then I drilled three holes 120 degrees apart through the base and into the wood, countersunk the holes, and finished the job with three sturdy screws.

dave r likes this.
  7. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

After a ride today more position tinkering on the TCR . Seat up another smidge dropped another spacer on the front . Then the bike recievied its first wash and lubed the chain

dave r likes this.
  8. tom73

tom73 Über Member

The tyres on my london Rd looked a bit past it. So New Pair of Schwalbe Landcruisers and Schwalbe tubes fitted last night.
    Checked this morning and it's all ready to roll. Not bad considering it's been years since I last did one. My Dad taught me well ;)

9. The weather turned a bit gash today so I finished off the T520 to T540 upgrade, indexed everything, sorted out the brakes and re wrapped the bars.

F079DA36-3851-49B8-BB54-A16A6273655A.jpeg

F16FFE96-3135-4C49-8939-4196459595DF.jpeg

3F67310E-8A02-4904-AB8D-5F0740D8DCB0.jpeg

D49DF586-050A-43C1-8C37-BCC6AB7673E4.jpeg

That’s a full Shimano R7000 105 Groupset fitted. I’ve just got to wait for the weather to not be quite so rubbish, before I test ride it. I really don’t want to be shaking down a brand new set of brakes and cables if the weather is very wet.

Spiderweb, dave r, Jenkins and 2 others like this.
  10. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Nice to see it all in blue Shimano packaging:whistle:

11. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Back to 2x11 on the Robinson so front mech fitted and Di2 re-set up plus shiny Absolute Black oval chainrings.

IMG_3364.jpg

dave r, Reynard and Jenkins like this.
  12. It was, until I took it out.

13. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Fair enough;see plenty of build kits sold as group sets.

Racing roadkill and raleighnut like this.
  14. To be fair, this was a mix. Some of it was obviously build kit ( plain brown boxes with barcodes) and it was made up with some bits in Shimano boxes ( front mech, crankset, chain and cassette ). That’s why it was at a bargain price.

15. 56242436-D7F2-49CD-B9CE-CCA2B636ED81.jpeg

I’m on a test ride of the 520 that’s now a 540:laugh:. I’ve had to do some emergency fettling, as I seemed to have forgotten to tighten the right hand Brifter up. I didn’t know if it was just a bit loose, but it moved under braking so I thought I’d better check it. Nope, I’d completely neglected to even slightly tighten it:whistle:. So out with the multi tool, and tighten it up I did. It’s much better when it’s securely fastened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice