What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bypasses and major A roads are never a nice commute to work , especially when you are late .

Fitted reflectors to the pedals on the Chartres, and removed the bell.

The joys of riding a shrunk-in-a-boil-wash bike, there's not enough real estate on the bars to have two lights *and* a bell. I can either run two lights or one light and the bell. But as I likely won't be making any more cycle-based trips to Cambridge until the spring, the bell can come off until then. Two lights on unlit country lanes are much more useful. :smile:

The joys of riding a shrunk-in-a-boil-wash bike, there's not enough real estate on the bars to have two lights *and* a bell. I can either run two lights or one light and the bell. But as I likely won't be making any more cycle-based trips to Cambridge until the spring, the bell can come off until then. Two lights on unlit country lanes are much more useful. :smile:

I'm a fellow "Shrunk-in-a-boil bike rider and I see the problem. Fortunately our bikes all have dynamo lights mounted on the frame so the bar real estate is relatively unsullied.

A bell is theoretically mandatory though.

I'm a fellow "Shrunk-in-a-boil bike rider and I see the problem. Fortunately our bikes all have dynamo lights mounted on the frame so the bar real estate is relatively unsullied.

A bell is theoretically mandatory though.

LOL! It's not an issue on the road bike, but it is on the hybrid, where I have trigger shifters. I do have a damn good yell though. :laugh:

Could the bell fit elsewhere? or even upside down under a light

Now that's a thought... I'll have a look to see if it's workable.

D

Deleted member 1258

What you need is a bar extender

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-BarXtender-Handlebar-Extender/dp/B00JQN1KG0

LOL! It's not an issue on the road bike, but it is on the hybrid, where I have trigger shifters. I do have a damn good yell though. :laugh:

Poor communication on my part. I should ave made it clear that a bell is theoretically mandatory in Germany, so I have to find space for it.

Tom B

Guru
The rivets i ordered to repair my SKS Chromoplastics a week ago arrived yesterday.

Before fettling I decided that the mudguard being pretty filthy needed a wash, around the same time i noticed the parts washer (aka dishwasher) needed to go on. So I popped the guard in the top try and popped it on a economy 50ºC cycle.
I now have a mudguard that fits the top drawer of the dishwasher wonderfully - but fits the bike less well. Upside it that it is clean.
Some time was spent with a hair dryer, buckets of boiling water and a heatgun making it roughly, very roughly bicycles shaped again.

Rivets did the job well and its back on the bike.

That ten min job took much longer than expected.

--snip-- bell is theoretically mandatory in Germany, so I have to find space for it.

I'm sure i have seen bells that fit on the top / replace the stem cap.
I have knog Oi which is quite narrow and was bought for its space saving qualities - if this is an option dont get the knock offs, they're a poor economy.

Top Bottom