What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Rumbling sound? What rumbling sound? 9000+ kilometres excluding turbo work. Word of the day: Brinelling. Anyway new fitting and a jam jar of grease later and we can pretend nothing ever happened. Ok?

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Have new cassette to fit to road bike, need to resolve intermittent creek on ebiked hybrid (usually a slightly loose motor mounting bolt) and replace the lock on the ebike battery (currently any key will turn the fitted one) but having just had to use a slitting disc to get a SPD-SL to SPD cleat adapter off a shoe I think I best leave the rest alone today. An Allen key head had broken in one of the fixing screws:cursing: so I had to cut a slot for a screwdriver. Replaced the unwalkable SM-SH85s with SM-SH41s.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to Jim Langley. I had a look last night but will look again as I still have the creak and I feel sure it is not the BB, FLW. At least the problem with the rear cassette is sorted. Still have the odd rattle at front, now think it is gear cabling hitting head tube. More fettling in this inclement weather I feel is coming on.

@Shearwater Missile a good source of inspiration when trying to narrow down errant noises..
https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
does my head in squeaks and rattles ,as above I like the sound of tyres on tarmac and the freewheel :okay:
I read through the Jim Langley link and now I am pretty sure what the creaking noise is. When I stand on the pedals and pushing the right side foot down there is flex in the 53 tooth chainring, I had`nt noticed it on the 39 tooth. With this flex the chain line alters so that it rubs the FD cage causing a squeak. This makes perfect sense now and I was pretty sure that it was`nt BB. I will try the trim tomorrow on the FD or just remain seated when climbing. It may also be the cause of the rattle when going over bumpy roads, the chain hitting the cage.
Thanks once again road rash with the link to Jim Langley`s webpage. Happy days may be here again, well quiet ones anyway.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the Avanti Circa 1 after today's 'leg stretch' ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/2868192405

Then, with the help of my 15yo, finished the Holdsworth Roi de Velo track bike. I did the pedals plus different stem and bars, he did the chainring, rear disc and sprocket plus fitting. All adjusted to where I think it's OK prior to an hour's test at Manchester velodrome tomorrow afternoon:

DSCF6603.JPG

At some point I'd like to get a Miche Pistard Air crankset to complete the all-black look but that's going to have to wait.

Last edited:
Nothing much, just washed a months road-silt & some salt, off my CGR
Also gave Senior Managments Boardman a dousing at the same time

Also put her lights on charge

Salt?
Yes, the access roads at work, have been salted since 1st November, if low temperatures are forecast
I have bitter knowledge, as I spent several years 'on-call' to plough/grit the access-roads/car-parks
(tractor drawn gritter-trailers, & a JCB to load them)

Word of the day: Brunelling. Anyway new fitting and a jam jar of grease later and we can pretend nothing ever happened. Ok?

View attachment 493059

Brinelling
Nothing to so with Isambard:whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom