What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Shearwater Missile a good source of inspiration when trying to narrow down errant noises..
https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
does my head in squeaks and rattles ,as above I like the sound of tyres on tarmac and the freewheel :okay:

@Shearwater Missile a good source of inspiration when trying to narrow down errant noises..
does my head in squeaks and rattles ,as above I like the sound of tyres on tarmac and the freewheel :okay:
It used to annoy me in cars too but luckily build quality is better these days. We had an Auris that had a squeaky passenger seat only when the wife sat in it. I had two choices and on the toss of a coin the car went !

We all have noises coming from our bikes don`t we ? I have had about three different noises which have been hard to pin point. One was a rattle which I think I sorted as it was coming from the front mudguard tapping the fork. Another seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket but only when standing on the pedals on the right down stroke. This was more of a metal on metal sort of noise. I think that this is actually the crank on the square taper. I removed crank and cleaned with sandpaper, greased and refitted, yet to test. The third noise which I also thought was possibly the bottom bracket but now found it was from the rear hub/cassette. With the wheel off the ground and pedal spun I would get an intermittent clunk from the mech, both forward or backwards. Almost as if there was a stiff link but far more random. I checked the rear derailleur and cleaned, re-assembled but still the same. I then took off the cassette, it was a bit loose. I had always noted that there is play on the Sram cassette and Aksium hub. Rightly or wrongly before I re-fitted the cassette I put a layer of pvc tape on the hub and then the cassette to take up the play. I tightened the lockring and refitted the wheel and test. Result, no clunk. Hopefully I can road test tomorrow.

My Rando bike has a constant squeaky rattle because the mudguards is held on with cable ties, and the fronnt wheel still needs tightening. The Bakfiets is a full on rattle and clunk symphony and sounds like it's having a lively conversation with itself.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Started putting together the Holdsworth Roi de Velo track bike: the spec I'll be using is different to supplied so quite a few changes are needed. New deep section front wheel fitted along with the seatpost (very fiddly saddle clamp), carbon paste applied, then a Bontrager Paradigm RL lightweight saddle.

DSCF6602.JPG

Still to do on Saturday before a test-ride at Manchester Sunday afternoon:
  • 50 tooth chainring instead of the 49 supplied - no option to change it in the build
  • Rear disc to be fitted, with a 14 tooth sprocket to go on that
  • Handlebars, which are currently on my Raleigh that's being raced on Friday
  • Probably a slightly longer, angled stem along with lowering the bar height a bit
  • Adjusting everything for a trial fit before the test-ride, together with taking the current Mavic Ellipse wheelset off my Raleigh Equipe for a spare wheelset.
The supplied Gipiemme Pista wheels, with tyres and a 16T sprocket will be on sale, along with the San Marco Monza saddle and Selcof bars that came with the bike. Also my current Raleigh Equipe track bike will be returned to 'stock' and on sale.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
More fun with wheels this evening ^_^

I fitted new rim tape to the other cosmic then wrestled the new tyre on, snapping one of my toughest tyre levers in the process :laugh: Hopefully they'll stretch a bit now they're inflated otherwise they're not coming off again in a hurry :blink:

Next up were the new Aksiums. I fitted the tape and valve stems then popped the yksion tyres on. These rims arent tubeless ready but I decided to try and go 'ghetto tubeless' to see how they fared. Obviously the rim well profile isnt designed to seal from flat so I had to employ the airshot inflator. Even with that I had to pump it up to 140psi to get the tyre to fully seat. It's important to note that the tyre never saw that pressure, once the airshot valve is opened the pressure drops rapidly as the tyre inflates and stabilises at around 70psi. Anyway, I got them seated and sealed and will check on them over the next few days to see if they're holding pressure.

Next I whipped the rear wheel out of the Pilot so I could swap the cassette for the 11-30 that came off the Bianchi yesterday.

I then put the hill-busting 11-34 on to the new Aksiums as they'll be my winter set for the Pilot :becool:

Now just waiting on rotors to finish them off before I can test ride the ghetto tubeless setup. If they work reliably they'll be ideal for winter as they come on and off the rim much more easily when needed.

The Cosmics are going in to the local Mavic dealer tomorrow afternoon for an overhaul, new bearings and decals. They're a few years old now and are ready for a refresh 👍

D

Deleted member 1258

I agree about noises, rubber on tarmac is all that I like to hear. Maybe tomorrow that is all I will hear. I guessed that it was nothing major as it was intermittent. A good fettling day.

At the moment both my bikes are quieter than church mice, its my cycle shoes that creak, they're quieter now than they were when I brought them just after last Xmas but still not silent.

Thanks for the link to Jim Langley. I had a look last night but will look again as I still have the creak and I feel sure it is not the BB, FLW. At least the problem with the rear cassette is sorted. Still have the odd rattle at front, now think it is gear cabling hitting head tube. More fettling in this inclement weather I feel is coming on.

Top Bottom