What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Today I fettled the disc brakes and fork problem , brakes were squeaky as hell ,I’m pretty sure now I inadvertently contaminated the pads , so bought new sets and disc cleaner so now hope fully heard the last of them !
also fixed the fork problem , I fitted some Exotic CF ones but couldn’t stop headset movement , I think it was the crown race , I had to buy one from Evans and maybe it was a bit to thin , any way I commandeered a
1.1/2 fibre washer off the plumber at work , put it on there and now it’s looking like happy days , if all is well after a bash around tomorrow I’ll buy some .04 mm shims and sort it proper ,

Last edited:
During my post ride bike clean I noticed annoyingly that my relatively new chain had a twisted link. I suspected as much it threw it near end of the ride then 15mins or so later going up a hill it did it again for no apparent reason, despite it shifting fine for circa 200 miles. So a new chain was fitted and whilst I had the fettling bug new mud guards and front brake pads were fitted too.

The hall light. Sometimes it wouldn't switch on from the front door end but it would from the living room end. I noticed that the switch at the living room end was wobbly so I replaced the gubbins at the living room end and lo and behold both ends work now. :whistle:

Well done @alicat: I admire anyone who can fix electrical problems without causing unwanted explosions.

Thank you, @Andy in Germany. My main aim is not to electrocute myself. I have done that once and am a little more cautious now: I put my rubber gardening shoes on first!

Same here. In my last job I was in a team with a sound and lighting tech for whom all this was everyday. One reason we worked so successfully as a team was that I automatically referred all electrical and technical questions to him, and got him to check everything we planned before carrying it out.

That said, he reckoned he electrocuted himself a couple of times each year, and he treated 16 and 32a power supplies with the same suspicion that I treat 230v...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1573389477651.png

Replaced the front fork on my Bianchi with the front fork from my Corso. I kept the bicycle all Italian, although I think the Corso was a lesser Bottechia imported for Stuyvesant Bikes in N.Y.C.. Bicycle can now be ridden without the ever intensifying pull to the left. Tracks straight and true.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
BB and some lights arrived today.

Fitted new Deore mountain hollow tech BB plus old XTR cranks (from mtn bike) to recumbent. Realised I have not greased the left crank pre load bolt. So will undo and grease it tomorrow. Why oh why doesn't the instruction sheet that came with the mountain BB cover the use of the provided spacers with 68mm width BBs? Had to look that up on iPad.

Fitted two Cateye omni 5 rear lights, one to each seat stay. Will trim once mudguards fitted.

Realise I bought a top swing derailleur and it's the bottom swing version I need.

That's it as the other jobs to do would take me past sunset.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Finished off swapping wheels & tyres round on the knockabout bike - this gives me sets with a choice of Marathon, Marathon Winter or Snow Stud. Needing to replace one of the tubes I discovered that the unopened spare I've been carrying round for ages was damaged (looks suspiciously like someone might have been careless with a knife when unboxing them at the shop :angry:). Good job I didn't find that out down a dark country lane.

Chain, 2 cassettes, rear brake blocks, gear cables fitted and to finish off I've finally got round to dismantling the old front wheel off my Aunt's vintage Raleigh (rim is scrap, dynamo hub could be reused), so that isn't cluttering the place up anymore.

alicat

Legendary Member
Flushed with the success of fixing the hall light fitting and reading that 700c mudguards do fit 26" wheels, I fitted a new SKS chromoplastics front mudguard to my tourer within two hours and without Losing My Temper. This video from Rivendell Bicycle Works was a godsend. I'll even forgive them for calling them fenders. ^_^

Top Bottom