What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

netman

Veteran
Fresh 25mm tyres on the steel single speed winter commuter - quick brake adjustment and lights added for clocks going back...

1572209580294.png

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Cleaned my Kingpin cos it got wet and muddy yesterday, I also noticed that the rear brake calliper was loose so I sorted that out and checked the front too.
Annoyingly I noticed I have lost the stopper to the oil port cap on the SA rear hub.

crossfire

Further to my lack of bike fettling, on checking the trap this morning I discovered a leak, after numerous attempts to tighten and fail, decided to buy a new trap (it is over 10 years old ) thankfully found the identical item in Screwfix. Ordered online and will pickup and fit tomorrow - not in a good enough mood to try today. Using bath taps tonight.

crossfire

Further to the saga of the basin, new trap fitted - still leaks, took plughole off and found not enough plumbers mait and a crack in the tube. New plughole purchased as well as Plumbers Gold and a basin cone fitted as per "Ultimate Handyman" on YouTube. 3 tests and no leaks yet! We are sure it would have been quicker and easier to fit a new basin.
I am now going to retire from DIY, and start saving to GAMI (get a man in) for the next job.

tom73

Guru
Given the spa a clean and after trying to get the cassette of the turbo wheel ready to swap over and not having much luck. Plan B changed over the tyre. Now all ready for turbo duty just been to sort out the the trainer, check the projector set up and it all set to go. :becool:
Think the weekend going to involve a bit of a work out :laugh:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
In a bid to get my power further forward over the BB, I put a 20mm longer stem on and moved the saddle 20mm further forward. 30 minutes on the turbo tells me it’s comfy, but it'll need a 200km+ ride to tell me the real truth.

Previously my saddle was supported right at the front of the rails so the saddle was way back. Also the stem was very short. It now ‘looks’ less awkward. Over the last couple of years I have been putting in the mileage and I have gradually been able to stretch out more.

All I have hopefully done is pivot myself forward. If anything, the handlebars are ever so slightly higher due to the extension of a 6 degree stem. I’m not expecting any discomfort, just a smidge of extra power. It’d be interesting to hear what the bike fit gurus on here think.

(And my Quad Lock fits better and is lower down)

Faffed about with SWMBOs Boardman hybrid

I fitted a rear reflector, & a pair of side-reflectors
Well, to be honest it already had a rear, but, it was a trailer 'triangle' bolted to the pannier-rack, so will have to be removed, when I fit lights to it

I found a mudguard mount reflector in my bits & pieces drawer
Stuck it in the workstand, & had to dig out a mains-drill, as I've still not bought another cordless drill yet:blush:
I took the wheel out, as I didn't fancy risking drilling into the tyre
Schwalbe Marathons are renown for puncture resistance, but maybe not with HSS bits???

Measure twice
View attachment 483332

Find appropriate drill-bits
View attachment 483333

Wheel out, & ready to drill
View attachment 483334

Bolt tightened & copper-greased
View attachment 483335

The side-reflectors are some of my old 'caravan/trailer' stock that were just languishing in a shed drawer
Careful drilling, & a couple of tie-wraps

I was going to put a pair of spoke-mounted reflectors on it too, but I must have disposed of them, as I can't see them in any drawer
However, Amelias old bike, gathering dust, in the garage had a pair that were removed (needed step-ladder, as it was hanging in the eaves; 10 foot up)

Different spoke-count, so more small holes drilled, & tie-wraps to spokes, to stop reflectors twisting, & turning laterally

View attachment 483338

Next Tasks....
1. Lights, for when she's commuting, & clocks 'go back'

As the times of her leaving her Office premises are getting closer to dusk, yesterday afternoon, I bought/charged/fitted lights
2 x rear
2 x front
491366 491368

Front
Primary; https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-200-lumen-front-bike-light
+
Secondary; https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...r-slim-bike-light-set?request_type=bestseller
(the rear might go on her helmet)

Rear
2 x; https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-50-lumen-rear-bike-light

I did take my BCF card, but didn't have the 10% off voucher, but had my Blue Light card/voucher, so used that

Tom B

Guru
Got the bike out to take the little lad to nursery yesterday and noticed the rear was a bit low, especially with the kiddie seat on, so pumped it up to about 100. Took the lad 3 miles to nursery and it was getting soft again so got back home and had a look. Found a sewing needle complete with a bit of thread stuck in the tyre!.

Changed the tube and set off for work. grumbled for about 3 miles about what i thought was a new flat spot in the wheel. Stopped at some lights and noticed the tyre wasnt seated properly on the rim and was bulging over the edge, luckily before I got to the rough cobbles. Deflated the tyre and reseated it and gave it a squirt with the emergency co2 and got to work only 8 mins late!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got the Bianchi assembled, only to find I have a pull to the left when riding. So I'll have to check the fork and headset Wednesday. This bike had been single speeded, then I now think it was in an accident before being given to the co-op. I think, at worst, that it may require a swap out of fork and headset. And it seems like a lot of mid-1980's Bianchis have newer forks.

Bit more Kanzo fettling today including cable tidying and routing front hose.

Sunday was swapping bits off the better half's Giant(which will be for sale) on to the old steel Trek and my X-Trail.

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4347.jpg
    IMG_4347.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3

Tom B

Guru
Went out for a ride,
Finished the ride,
put the bike on the roof rack...
Went under a height restriction barrier, Removed the bike,
Swore
Removed the bike from the road.
Swore.
Removed the "bottom of the tube" Pringle from between the front forks.
Swore.
Saw damage to fork.. Swore.
Came home...
Put tyre on spare (but actually newly refurbished preferred wheel)
Was amazed wheel actually still fitted between forks...
Looked at ding in fork
Swore.
Fell over dog...
Swore
Noticed rear axle or QR appeared bent (eccentric motion when tightening QR)
Remembered that might not be new and wondered why my wheels had QR skewers in and not my security type anyway.
Put bike away.
Swore.
Made tea...
Had a bath and Put lad to bed
Came down stairs posted to cycle chat about dings in alu on the maintainance section.
Dog who was asleep in middle of living room got up looked at me, smiled in a way only dogs can, and did a dump on the carpet.
Swore...

Fml as I believe the kids say

**There may have been more swearing / swearing edited for brevity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom