What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally assembled the home built mudguards and fitted them to the trike . works well , happy bunny

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Took off Suntour XCM 30 fork replaced with Rockshox 30 solo, using Nukeproof bottom headset cup and bearing to accommodate the tapered steerer as the suntour was straight. Replaced 160 Clark’s rotor with 180 Shimano Slx rotor and mounting adaptor. All on my daughter cheap carrera vengeance ltd, the weakest points addressed. Stock fork way too stiff for her weight, Air fork adjustable, front brake weak now better ^_^

Tom B

Guru
Last night.
New forks fitted, brakes bled. Tentative ride up and down the street seemed okay.

This morning removed the wheel reflector that was rattling but noticed a rather loud spoken dokey sound coming from back wheel area unaffected by pedalling / not pedaling. Too dark, wet and noisy to diagnose anything on the commute, but worrying non the less

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hydraulic hoses cut to length and fitted to brake levers and calipers. I actually bought two lots of hydraulic hose and fittings but have found that one hose (3m) was long enough for both front and back, once cut, plus the fittings included the parts for both front and back. So I can return the other length of hose and the fittings for a refund. Rain has come in, so recumbent retrieved from patio, and the adding of mineral brake oil, and the bleeding will have to wait.

It was fairly straight forward and reminded me of simple plumbing jobs such as replacing a tap washer.

x4WzJbbiTqEohF72j6y-aSkDduyxSgIf1pPBY=w693-h927-no.jpg

C R

Guru
Fixing the stitching that was coming apart in my winter gloves.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Ordered some bargain Mavic Aksium disc wheels on Ebay the other day. They dont come with tyres so I decided to fit the yksion tyres from the bianchi to them and get some GP 5000's to replace them. The tyres arrived today so i whipped the wheels off and started to fit them.

Front first, and very quickly found the rim tape was damaged so decided to remove it. New rim tape hasnt arrived yet so that will have to wait for another day.

I moved on to the rear, rim tape in good condition this time so tyre fitted and inflated. All good until I went to spin the wheel to distribute the sealant and found the bearings to be far less than optimal. I've left that wheel off too and will investigate how to strip the hub down - it's a mavic cosmic pro carbon sl UST and has only done about 2000 miles so I'm a little surprised they feel so bad. Oh well, I'll investigate and see what is going on :wacko:

Poor little baby :sad::laugh:

When the Aksiums arrive they'll go on the Pilot as winter wheels - the 50mm carbon rims on it currently are lethal in a cross wind :laugh: I've also taken the 11-30 cassette off the bianchi, itll go on the 50mm pilot wheels. I'll move the 11-34 on to the Aksiums and look at getting an 11-28 for the Bianchi in time for spring :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Added mineral oil / bleed brakes that were fitted yesterday. About 20mL per brake.

dc9U30l8-Ue0ao6CMntRZ_QHHYgSved92WxC8=w693-h927-no.jpg

Fettled mudguard that I fitted yesterday but ran out of time to fine tune; to ensure no tyre rub and spacing optimal. Also added a fibre flare to the seat frame. So I now have two led lights on seat stays, a reflector on the mudguard, and a fibre flare just below the seat bag. Plenty of redundant rear lighting.

5sWZLfH5xXigleejxaMnJ4W7SkCVl2vQSQS6E=w693-h927-no.jpg

I then added some reflective tape to the cranks. No good for behind being a recumbent, but ok for forwards.

PyW9UFV83d5RrvP82-FeWGdpcibmStJ3rrSes=w693-h927-no.jpg

I then started adding my dynamo light to the derailleur post but the wire with the dynamo is too short. So I will need to join it to a long length so it reaches the dynamo. That requires my soldering iron but I couldn't find it. Might have to borrow one.

Since the recumbent was attached to the turbo I took the opportunity to adjust the boom, which adjusts the bottom bracket for leg length. I also adjust the handlebar height to ensure the knees did not hit them at the top of the stroke. This also involved moving the GPs so my knees did not hit the nottom of the GPS! I also fitted the front derailleur which arrived today. It's a bottom swing one, as the top swing one I got by mistake won't work with the derailleur post / crank setup.

So, all in all, a productive day. Just disc rotors and pads, the gear cabling, rear cassette and derailleur, bar tape, plus front dynamo light once wiring done. So getting closing to its first ride.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
We all have noises coming from our bikes don`t we ? I have had about three different noises which have been hard to pin point. One was a rattle which I think I sorted as it was coming from the front mudguard tapping the fork. Another seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket but only when standing on the pedals on the right down stroke. This was more of a metal on metal sort of noise. I think that this is actually the crank on the square taper. I removed crank and cleaned with sandpaper, greased and refitted, yet to test. The third noise which I also thought was possibly the bottom bracket but now found it was from the rear hub/cassette. With the wheel off the ground and pedal spun I would get an intermittent clunk from the mech, both forward or backwards. Almost as if there was a stiff link but far more random. I checked the rear derailleur and cleaned, re-assembled but still the same. I then took off the cassette, it was a bit loose. I had always noted that there is play on the Sram cassette and Aksium hub. Rightly or wrongly before I re-fitted the cassette I put a layer of pvc tape on the hub and then the cassette to take up the play. I tightened the lockring and refitted the wheel and test. Result, no clunk. Hopefully I can road test tomorrow.

Top Bottom