What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Diesel filter change on our Kuga today, spot the difference..

Full service history my arse..

20200202_142004.jpg

20200202_142023.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Diesel filter change on our Kuga today, spot the difference..

Full service history my arse..

View attachment 503019

View attachment 503020

When I worked at the garage we used to like reading the usually long German names for bits on the Ford boxes.

We would then use them in our version of Germanglish.

For example: "I'm going to order some ausbesserungsfarbe for that blue Fiesta."

(Touch up paint).

keithmac

Guru
If youchanged it again next month it would look the same.
It's carbon from the partially burned diesel fuel.

Genuinely interested in why it's partially burnt?, the lift pump in the tank feed the filter housing that then supplies the high pressure pump.

Is it the return from the spill pipes back to the tank that cause that?.

All the diesel I've had out of it while priming looked clear/ golden colour?.

20200202_143807.jpg

After yesterdays poor rear gear shifting I thought I`d better investigate. Low and behold it was the inner cable and a double whammy at that. It was frayed at both ends, inside the shifter and also inside the loop of the outer before the clamp. New cable fitted and the end soldered to prevent fraying and it makes life easier should I have to detach again. Re-indexed the gears and they feel like new. This is a Sora 3300 shifter and a 3500 rear derailleur. Just want to take it out on the road.

New cable fitted and the end soldered to prevent fraying and it makes life easier should I have to detach again.

I'm probably the last person here to come across that dodge, I'll still steal it though, thanks.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Genuinely interested in why it's partially burnt?, the lift pump in the tank feed the filter housing that then supplies the high pressure pump.

Is it the return from the spill pipes back to the tank that cause that?.

All the diesel I've had out of it while priming looked clear/ golden colour?.

View attachment 503112
Sorry My bad!
Didn't look properly and assumed it was the oil filter from the state of it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Applied a waterproof top coat to a leaking felt flat roof yesterday. That was 3.5 hours work. No rain forecast for next 5 days so hopefully enough time for it to fully cure before it gets wet. House stunk of white spirit last night but much better today.

Tenkaykev

Guru
You may not be the last person. I have never read it anywhere but just thought it a good idea. The trick is to do it when the cable is new as when it gets old it will tarnish and oxidize.

Genuine question, I'd assumed the cable would be stainless steel?
Can you solder it, or do you just just blob the end so the solder is really just sticking to itself around the strands?

Top Bottom