What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Genuine question, I'd assumed the cable would be stainless steel?
Can you solder it, or do you just just blob the end so the solder is really just sticking to itself around the strands?
That indeed is a good question. It certainly solders enough to stop the end from fraying. Once soldered I put a cap on it to finish the job. Perhaps it depends upon the quality of the cable. It said that it was stainless steel. I just use ordinary leaded solder as now a days you should use unleaded high melting point. I`ll take a photo tomorrow and post it on here.

That indeed is a good question. It certainly solders enough to stop the end from fraying. Once soldered I put a cap on it to finish the job. Perhaps it depends upon the quality of the cable. It said that it was stainless steel. I just use ordinary leaded solder as now a days you should use unleaded high melting point. I`ll take a photo tomorrow and post it on here.
Said tinned cable end. I have never had one fray after soldering. The solder certainly has gone between the strands so will hold it in place.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did once try using kneaded Babybel cheese rind as cable end caps. Now, I know what you're thinking ... "That's a brilliant idea. I must try it myself." Well, I'm sorry to say that, foolproof as it may sound, it was actually a rubbish idea.

Had hoped to use some of yesterday and today to start on re-dropping the Scott. Oh no. Washing machine has failed (Miele, 20years, can't complain) so instead spent day sourcing and collecting another (AEG). Have removed old one from the flat, now to get the new ine in and working.
Then get the incredibly heavy Miele to the dump, sorry, Recycling Centre. Where I will of course try not to acquire another bike...

The Gran Fondo is the bike I fancied, the chap at Ribble sat me on it and the Sportive and said the Sportive geometry would suit me better, they were about the same price so got that. Do you think my saddle needs moving back?
My winter bike is also a Ribble a CR1, rack, mudguards and a Son dynamo hub, I may get some 28mm Durano DDs to help with the poor roads.
My team of lawyers are still talking to Ribble's people but hopefully an enormous cheque will drop through the letterbox soon :laugh:

Top Bottom