What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Full groupset sonic degrease of erm seven bikes and replaced the completely seized non drive side bottom bracket bearing with a road bottom bracket, smooth as butter now and I’m going to use that as my excuse for going so slow last time I tried to ride to westbury via the plains, pots holes that could swallow a tank and the gale force winds also didn’t help

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bearings went in the front Superstar wheel. Couldn't find the size online, only a pack at £18 from Superstar. Whipped out the old bearings. Conveniently had the size code on them, ordered a new set for £5 Inc postage from Kent bearings. Only problem is bike not fully coordinated with substitute wheel on. :blush:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
...................................... I haven't done any maintenance on the front forks as I know nothing about suspension bikes.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. If they are anything like the BSO I had, which was a similar vintage, then there is very little you can actually service on them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Could it be your Watch :whistle:
Ha ha - no... My last watch stopped ticking about 20 years ago and I never bothered with one after that. These days, most of carry a very accurate alternative timepiece about with us - a phone!

The ticking must be pretty loud to bother me because I have about a 50% hearing loss so I don't notice subtle sounds.

I'll replace the wheel bearings tomorrow and see if the noise goes away.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Ha ha - no... My last watch stopped ticking about 20 years ago and I never bothered with one after that. These days, most of carry a very accurate alternative timepiece about with us - a phone!

The ticking must be pretty loud to bother me because I have about a 50% hearing loss so I don't notice subtle sounds.

I'll replace the wheel bearings tomorrow and see if the noise goes away.
Tis true.. I used to feel naked if I had forgot to put my watch on when leaving the house, but as you have said, with a mobile (or cycle computer) there is not the same need anymore. The luddite in me still hates the fact that a mobile has taken away some of our 'alone time' though.

I fitted a new rear gear cable on a friend's bike.

Used to be a simple job.

This was a brand new carbon road bike with 105 hydraulic brakes/shifters. He'd put a larger cassette and mech on but messed up the gear cable and couldn't get it to shift to the five lowest gear sprockets. Why do they change the cable runs so often on new versions of the same shifters? Never come across this one before so had to look on the internet.

Then the faff of running the new cable via a cable liner through the frame and stays. I love my carbon bike, but I love the cable runs on my steel bike better.

I always keep a spare gear and brake cable in my emergency kit, but I hope I didn't have to change one on my carbon bike on the road.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Some basic checking that the pads are set at right position to hit the Tim's when applied.
Also adjustments to the rear mechanism to keep the chain out of the rear wheel .

Top Bottom