What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I fitted the inner and outer brake cables to my CB project, all the work has really paid off (about 4 hours of restoration on the brakes alone) the 60 year old Weinmann Vainqueur 999 centre pulls are now as smooth as my modern 105's.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The tape generally holds out a couple of days. Tried to effect a permanent repair with a cable tie but it didn't work out (with practice I bet I could make it work, but I only had one cable tie long enough). Ordered a new shifter.

Fixed it proper now. Bonus: I found I could fit the new shifter without having to remove bar grips, brake lever and without having to remove the cable (I pulled the barrel end with some pointy pliers and after a few attempts got it to seat inside the lever)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Someone dumped a small table outside our flat. Ms P rescued it, it's quite handy as a sort of portable laptop table (when you have two people trying to work from home in a small flat it's useful)

The top was scratched so I sanded it down, stained it and then finished it off with some floor oil samples in sachets I've had for quite a while.

Collected my retro GT MTB today from storage after 3 months with no access. It's been cleaned and will be put on sale later. Whilst I like it I've only ridden 8 miles in 3 years, which is far too little for an all-original bike:

View attachment 530997
Lovely! Gave my 1995 Canny a fettle today, same vintage as your GT? Relegated to outdoors storage, 'posh' carbon bikes get the indoor treatment.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Point him in my direction, mines an XL ^_^

He was clearly collecting bikes to order for a range of people; mine was no. 6 today. I'm waiting for the next buyer on my list to turn up, probably tomorrow. If not I've got a long waiting list.

Edit: I forgot it was going on eBay. Sold in 2 minutes at my 'buy now' price. Buyer's already paid and is collecting Wednesday.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Six bikes cleaned, four chains mickled, one front derailleur adjusted and set up properly, kick stand tightened, bar tape secured, missing pedal reflector replaced.

Yesterday's fettling on my own and family members bikes. My dad has shown an interest in getting his bike out for the first time in years so that has had a check over and clean up. It's hardly been ridden so apart from dirt and slight corrosion from being in store, it's in good order. I discovered a fundamental error in the fitting of the front derailleur which would have been glaringly obvious if not hidden behind the full length chainguard ('tweren't me). He now has all gears available. :okay:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Fettled my stem to a shorter one and although it wasn't an uncomfortable position it instantly became more relaxed, had some offsized 3mm and 2mm spacers so they were swapped around with a 5mm essentially lowering the bars 2mm..

Would barely be noticeable:laugh:

roley poley

Veteran
fitted a bb7 and rotor on the front of my genesis day one 20 ,never been happy with the promax that it came with for stopping power,the rear is fine.Rode round and round the empty sports centre car park to test and settle it in .WHAT'S THAT DOUBLE CLICKY NOISE ! !?? well after all I could think of to find it ,seating of caliper ? bearings?pad space?watch the park tool vid again ,more tea ,fag on doorstep...you know when a tyre has been moulded and there are tiny little thin stalks of rubber left sticking out of the tread from the injection process........they are just long enough to tap a mudguard and do your head in...nipped back with nail scissors in 2 min ...The brakes are fine,and sunday dinner tastes better

Top Bottom