What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Picked up a very nice used 1970's wheelset and finished off my CB project (fitted chain, adjusted brakes, gears etc)

Just the bar tape to do and then it's ready for proper maiden ride!

Gunk

Guru
Lovely! Gave my 1995 Canny a fettle today, same vintage as your GT? Relegated to outdoors storage, 'posh' carbon bikes get the indoor treatment.
View attachment 531266

I really like that!

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Not been on my bike all week, first week back at work and I have not got the energy or inclination, however the lad across the road went past today and did a u turn, his brakes were not working again!!! he has grown into his dads MTB, it will need pads soon (cable disks) a small adjustment to the in board (fixed) pads and he was on his way.
He did show me his wounds while he waited.... he had gone over the bars on one of the local BMX tracks, he now knows, don't sit on your bike at speed when going over the first "lump" he went straight over the bars at the top!!! lesson learned, it has not put him of cycling in the slightest ^_^^_^

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've been fettling the wall fixings for the sun canopy over the decking before this weeks heat wave kicks in........

JhnBssll

Guru
I've just had an interesting fettle, building an acoustic damper for the front bedroom window :laugh: Before anyone gets excited, it's to stop road noise coming in, not other noise escaping :rolleyes::laugh:

The local major A road is closing overnight for 6 weeks and diverting passed ours, so we'll have lorries rumbling through the village for the foreseeable. When it has happened in the past for the odd day or two we have accepted a bad nights sleep, but this doesnt seem like a good option for 6 weeks on the trot :laugh: We've got new windows being installed in 10 days time with acoustic glass, but I figured I would build something semi-permanent in addition that could be removed and stored for next time the road closes.

I ordered a batch of 24 12" square acoustic foam tiles last week; they came vaccuum packed so it has taken a few days for them to regain their shape and size :laugh: I also picked up 3 sheets of 12mm MDF from the local builders merchant and some slide bolts. Screws, hinges etc I had already in the garage.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with - just needs some paint now :okay:

When removed the only sign of it will be the two top slide bolt latches, the ones at the sides are hidden behind the curtains. I've made the right hand side panel come out on it's own so we can easily whip it out and open the window to get some fresh air during the day. Overnight we'll have the aircon running which was installed a few weeks back, also in preparation for a summer of closed windows :laugh:

And here is a view in the gap between window and acoustic foam :becool:

I have to say it works rather well :laugh: Once bolted in, you can hear more road noise from the next room than you can through the window :laugh: Hopefully it'll be enough to take the edge off so we can get some sleep :okay:

JhnBssll

Guru
Just popped out to the garage to remove the front tyre from the Bianchi. It's almost brand new but has developed a bulge which creates an alarming looking wobble. I've contact Wiggle customer services in order to return it but am not expecting a quick turn around, and they appear to have none in stock anyway. I had a look around at the other shops I frequent and none of them appear to have them in either, so I've ordered one from Mantel in Holland :laugh: Once Wiggle get around to replacing the defective one I'll pop it on the shelf as a spare :okay: Anyway, new tyre is due to arrive on Wednesday so figured I'd get this one removed and the rim cleaned up in preparation.

Wheel all cleaned up after the tubeless waltz had been completed :laugh:

Heres the defective tyre, a Conti GP5000 TL - you can see it's barely been used, I'd say it's done less than a hundred miles from new.

And here's the Bianchi, missing a wheel and wondering when she'll get ridden again :sad::laugh:

I need to get some more miles in on her before I decide whether to drop the stem slightly, but it's a pretty involved process with the internal cable routing so I don't want to have to do it too many times :wacko::laugh:

Top Bottom