What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fitted new Charge Spoon to the Scott, and prepped for a longish (for me) ride. This included resetting the Cateye computer to 209cm wheel circumference, as the recommended 211 is giving way more distance covered than GPS.
I heard it said that the steel barrel of the Silca is a Columbus frame tube - could be?
Now I must try to acquire one of these, just for that fact!

roley poley

Über Member
adjusted the bearings on the Nexus 8 that was a faff about ...they are done on the LEFT side for anyone who may want to do it in the future don't even think about going in on the drive side.. much easier rolling now thankyou... quite obvious really with the gift of hindsight

JhnBssll

Veteran
just spent a sweaty 30 mins in the garage fitting the new GP5000 TL to the Bianchi, boy those things are tight :ohmy: Anyway I got it on, sealant in and inflated so will check on it again later :okay:

Next job I noticed the koi were up at the top of the pond and the airflow appeared lower than usual from the oxygenation pump. Opened it up quickly and found one of the bellows had split, had a spare part in the cupboard so swapped it over and its back up to full capacity now 😊 Hopefully the fishies will be a little happier shortly :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
just spent a sweaty 30 mins in the garage fitting the new GP5000 TL to the Bianchi, boy those things are tight :ohmy: Anyway I got it on, sealant in and inflated so will check on it again later :okay:

Next job I noticed the koi were up at the top of the pond and the airflow appeared lower than usual from the oxygenation pump. Opened it up quickly and found one of the bellows had split, had a spare part in the cupboard so swapped it over and its back up to full capacity now 😊 Hopefully the fishies will be a little happier shortly :laugh:

It's a fettlefest John!

I'm taking it easy today, did some work this morning and in anticipation of a very hot motorcycle ride tomorrow morning to Hungerford to meet some pals (I must be mad!) I checked the oil level and tyre pressures, took all the linings out of my textile jacket and opened all the vents.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Rebuilt some M324 SPD pedals. I have the tool but it doesn't help one jot with placing 14 tiny bearings, as a neat ring, in a race deeply recessed into the body. I can see why few people bother!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Got it down to 15 mins now. I have a small pointy thing from a jeweller's toolkit that I accidentally magnetised (weakly). It holds a ball on the point until it gets stuck in the grease.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am still struggling to extract the 2 damaged chainring bolts on my singlespeed bike to check my hypothesis that the annoying ticking noise that I am hearing under load on that bike is due to being unable to tighten those bolts.

I had an idea which might support the hypothesis - to lube the bolts and the interface between the spider and the ring. Maybe by making the various bits of metal slippery, any slight movement between them may be steady and silent rather than sudden and noisy?

I have been waiting for a thunderstorm to pass over and conditions to cool. I'll nip out on the bike later to see if it still ticks!

I still need to replace the bolts but will be in less of a hurry if I can get the bike to STFU in the meantime! :laugh:

While I was at it, I discovered that the bolt holding the chain tensioner's jockey wheel on was loose so I tightened it. I lost a jockey wheel bolt on a ride once and it was a real show-stopper - I searched the road for many metres for the missing bolt but there was no sign of it. In the end I scooted home on the bike, a distance of about 5 kms. At least I have avoided that happening this time.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Sort of accidentally solved a creaking match yesterday that I was nearly convincing myself was from the BB. However, given that it is a Wheels Manufacturing BB I wasn't convinced enough, rather still suspicious it was from the rear wheel somewhere. The wheels have about 10000km on them and may be getting a bit long in the tooth. Anyway, got a puncture yesterday, first one in forever, and when refitting the back wheel I tightened the skewer another half turn. Result. End of creak :laugh:.

Gunk

Guru
Reunited the original mech and shifter on my CB project.

3DE3E02D-30B5-4D80-9086-8F6335305A82.jpeg

88995207-AB2A-4078-98E9-C7AB1E95659A.jpeg

88A5E328-B55B-4753-B34D-55E704F037FA.jpeg

5EC536FD-C742-4486-969D-D378663AB6F8.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Replacement tyre taped onto my son's disc wheel after his tub tyre exploded on Saturday.

Having also had a blow-out on Wednesday I fitted a new GP4000S to my road bike.

Then glued two used tubs onto a pair track wheels I bought to go onto the Fuji Track Classic: that gives me track wheels and I'll use the current ones to put cross tyres on for grasstrack. Also re-greased the wheels; they're in decent condition considering the hubs are dated 1975 and 1977.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been for a test ride...
I had an idea which might support the hypothesis - to lube the bolts and the interface between the spider and the ring. Maybe by making the various bits of metal slippery, any slight movement between them may be steady and silent rather than sudden and noisy?
As soon as I rode up a little hill, the ticking started! So, the lubing hadn't done much good. But... 5 kms down the road it occurred to me that the noise was getting quieter, and also less frequent. By the end of the 18 km ride I reckon the intensity and frequency of the ticking had reduced by about two thirds. The lube must have been slowly worked into places where the ticking was originating from.

It will help for now, but I must replace those damaged chainring bolts ASAP.

While I was at it, I discovered that the bolt holding the chain tensioner's jockey wheel on was loose so I tightened it.
There is a metal hoop round the chain, attached either side of the jockey wheel. It had been touching the chain, which is why I noticed that the fixing bolt was loose. When I tightened the bolt I made sure that the hoop no longer contacted the chain. On this evening's ride I noticed that the chain movement was quieter than it had been. (Hardly surprising really!)

JhnBssll

Veteran
Gave the XR4 a clean this evening followed by its first coat of matt protector wax :okay: Always a good way to while away a few hours :laugh:

While the wheels were out i also put some protective tape on the back of the seat tube to keep the paint in good nick. I was getting a slight squeal from the front brake just as I came to a stop so I also took the opportunity to take the pads out and give them a light sand. They had a slight glaze so hopefully they'll bed back in on the next ride. I also cleaned the disc with some isopropyl alcohol to make sureits not contaminated with grime :smile: Raining tomorrow judging by the forecast but I'm due to be riding with a friend on Sunday morning so will see if its solved it then :okay:

Top Bottom