What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
completed a 5.35mi cycle in 25minutes.
Is this good for a 15 year old? Considering it was quite alot uphill:bicycle:

Wrong thread :whistle:

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Replaced the old (and perishing) brake hoods on my Condor Pista with new Cane Creek ones I’d ordered on spec from the US (only place that stocked the old style, which Condor told me their brake levers were based on). Good news is they fitted no problem.

Next job is to strip some rust off both seat stays where clip on mudguards rubbed off the paint, then repaint. Rust remover arrived from Halfords last week, touch-up paint arrived from Condor yesterday. Now, just need to work out whether I can be bothered to do it today in the blazing sunshine...

MonsterEnergy

Yes it does matter. You don't want to find that things are in the wrong place, do you?
As you get older these things will matter more, as they now do to many of us on the forum.
But good on you for your ride. Post it on the "Your ride today" thread, and then more people will see it.
okay...sorry about that
where abouts is that

si_c

Guru
Fitted the new wheels to the bike yesterday after picking them up from the LBS. First set of carbon wheels I've had so I'll have to see how they compare to my handbuilts.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The other week I purchased a bleed kit for SRAM from epic bleed solutions after seeing a few recommendations on here amongst others. At almost 40% cheaper than the official SRAM kit I thought it was worth a punt. So last week I made an attempt to bleed my back brake and the kit failed big time. The junction between the pipe and the screw on adapter failed under pressure and DOT 5 fluid went everywhere. Luckily the floor of my cellar is concrete and the fluid on the frame cleaned up with alcohol, so no harm done. I fired off an email to them straight away and they responded the next working day. Apologising and promising to send some new adapters immediately. The new adapters landed in my postbox yesterday morning, I really can't fault their customer service, so tonight was attempt number two.

I'm pleased to say it all went like a charm. It's a bit of a fiddly process, but strangely calming, slowly pulling and pushing the plungers to expel the air and exchange the fluid. I followed a combination of instructions including the excellent video from GCN. I've not completely finished, because I've some new pads arriving tomorrow, so once their fitted, I'll take the bike for a shakedown spin around the local streets. However, the lever certainly felt firmer and there was a lot of bubbles in the Syringes after I'd finished.

I've also fitted a new chain, after nearly 3000km I figured it must be time, even though the chair wear checker says it's in fine fettle, I don't want it to wear to the point where I'll need a new cassette as well.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The Mystery of the Creaking Tandem.

For the last couple of months, the tandem has had an annoying minor creak, or tick. Bitter past experience of cracked frames tells me not to ignore such noises.

On a normal bike they can be hard to solve, but on a tandem with double the pedals, chains, cranks, bottom brackets etc it's a proper detective job.

It didn't happen when free wheeling.

First job: tighten chain ring bolts. No joy.

2nd job: tighten crank bolts. No joy.

3rd job: try cycling out of the saddle, one at a time (not an easy exercise, by the way)... BINGO! Stoker out of the saddle stops the creak.

4th job: WD40 on saddle fixings. No joy. Find twisting the saddle replicates the creak.

5th job: remove saddle. It's a Brooks, so has metal to metal contact at nose. Lube that. Thoroughly grease rails and fixing bolts. Refit. No joy.

6th job: Seat post is a thud buster, so there's plenty of scope for creaks there. WD40 to all exposed joints. No joy.

7th job: Need to isolate to saddle or seat post. Fit different saddle. Creak remains. BINGO! It's the thud buster.

8th job: The thud buster can be split apart, 6 Allen bolts. Loosen them one by one... four in, creak disappears. Loosen the last two, WD40 into the split. Re tighten. Still no creak. BINGO! Solved!!

9th job: Refit original saddle.

10th job: whoop for joy, lift tandem onto wall rack, retire for shower and beer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was about to tackle replacing the bearings on my singlespeed bike's rear wheel today when a pal texted me to see if I was in. He was going stir-crazy sitting around at home and asked if he could come and sit in my sunny back yard for a chat and a cuppa. He is a pensioner now but used to be a bike mechanic so I got him to do the bearings for me while he was here. Before I put the freehub back on I moved the sprocket over by one spacer to correct the chainline which had been put slightly out recently when I fitted a shorter bottom bracket.

The chainline is perfect again and a minor rumble from the wheel bearings has now gone BUT I still have not eliminated the annoying ticking noise that started me off on the various jobs on the singlespeed... Drat!

It feels better with its new BB, chain, and wheel bearings, but I MUST track down that noise and eliminate it!

My suspicions now turn back to the chainring bolts. 3 of them are tight, but the other 2 have rounded hex heads so the allen key isn't gripping them and I therefore can't check that they are tight too, or tighten them if they aren't. I'll have to get them out somehow and put in some new ones. It looks like being too hot for riding during the day tomorrow so I'll try to do the job in the afternoon and go for a test ride in the evening when it should be cooler.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
It's always a happy feeling when new brake blocks are fitted. Done this morning with the cables adjusted & lubricated. The V brakes on the bike have plenty of stopping power & are within my (laughable) level of bike mechanics.

Tyres were topped up with a Silca Pista which I've had since the Romans wore sandals - I say thank you everytime for decades of great service and a company that allow you to buy spare parts, rather than bin and buy another.

I heard it said that the steel barrel of the Silca is a Columbus frame tube - could be?

Top Bottom