What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Added a retro Zoom stem to the Diamond Back Ascent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-Ahe...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

_nc_ohc=UlK8zHy7yyEAX_VWHL2&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

carpenter

Über Member
I have the same Diamond Back "Ascent" with girder style stem (I love the look, but it is rather long - I feel that I stretch to far when riding the bike).
I am interested in why you chose to change yours and how it changes the feel of the bike.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I have the same Diamond Back "Ascent" with girder style stem (I love the look, but it is rather long - I feel that I stretch to far when riding the bike).
I am interested in why you chose to change yours and how it changes the feel of the bike.

I bought the bike a few weeks ago from the local scrap man. It did come with the 130mm girder stem originally. The Zoom stem is 10 degree rise and 10mm shorter. The head tube and steerer are quite short, so it just raises the bars a bit to make it a little less racy and more comfy. The stack height of the Zoom is quite high, so you won't be able to run the canti hanger under the stem. It fits straight onto the compression ring in the aheadset.

_nc_ohc=bJmRSggCujAAX-dVcF1&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I bought the bike a few weeks ago from the local scrap man. It did come with the 130mm girder stem originally. The Zoom stem is 10 degree rise and 10mm shorter. The head tube and steerer are quite short, so it just raises the bars a bit to make it a little less racy and more comfy. The stack height of the Zoom is quite high, so you won't be able to run the canti hanger under the stem. It fits straight onto the compression ring in the aheadset, the upper allen bolt is just level with the cut steerer tube.

View attachment 559318
That seatpost :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Oiled chain during a ride.

Rolson matted the entire mancave floor, swept clean yet again only for the wind to blow dust and leaves back in, swapped tyres on four sets of wheels and disk rotors on two sets, fixed two punctured tyres one with a 1/2" thorn still in the casing, more dusting of said cave and then a wipe down of chains, plus a half arse attempt at degunking a rear mech.

Swapped out the turbo bike front wheel for an old one, adjusted my turbo setup so the secondary laptop monitor is closer and in a more upright position ....drank some beers

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Adjusted the NeilPryde's front derailleur for Zwift turbo use. Still not 100% but better.

Also worked on my son's Argon TT bike:

- Dura-Ace 7900 crankset and rear derailleur
- New chain
- New rear disc
- Trued the front wheel as I wasn't happy with 1mm of movement
- LBS have added new, very-fiddly-to-fit, cables as I've been unwell to go with the new rear and re-furbished front TRP TT-specific brakes

Hopefully that'll be working properly for the 2021 TT season as it's been broken for much of the latter part and we've had to bodge parts for him to get on the start line, resulting in several DNF's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom