What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hopefully my fettling today was self induced. I fitted my winter wheels at the end of October and when I cleaned the cassette noted that it was wobbling. Today when I cleaned it, the wobble started to get on my nerves and I decided enough was enough. I took it off, cleaned it up and refitted it and all seems good; there's no longer a wobble, hopefully it remains that way. My theory when I fitted it at the end of my chemo last year when my finger sensitivity, strength and coordination was compromised, I couldn't have compressed the cassette enough before I tightened it and it came loose :blush:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
New disc brake pads on front. Plus given the bike a wash. It has mudguards, so it’s generally just the lower parts of frame and wheels that need doing.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Finally got round to do something which I've had the bits for for years. Changed the handlebars on my fixed Pompino from the original ones (which I had always thought a little too narrow for me) to some On One Midge bars. I think they look the part (sort of path racer style) and first ride impressions are good. They are slightly lower than I'm used to, but brakes fall easily to hand and they are a comfortable width.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Thought I'd change the 16 tooth sprocket on the Sturmey Archer on my Kingpin to something bigger to help when loaded with shopping. I checked my various spare hubs, one has an 18 tooth, hurrah, so I whipped it off. Took KP rear wheel off, got sprocket off - it's flat whereas the other is dished. :sad: So reassemble everything to how it was. At least it didn't take long.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Fitted a new saddle, then stuck a Cree light on a new Rixen & Kaul fork crown fitting. Pesky gear cables kept dislodging the light, so I had to hold them out of the way with a cable tie. Then the front mech wouldn't lift up onto the big ring, so I had to try putting the cable tie in different positions that didn't affect gear changing. Eventually seem to have found the magic formula by trial and error. Fingers crossed. Can't wait to try out the light on a night ride and fine tune the saddle position. But wouldn't you know it, my bottom bracket has suddenly started playing up. A trip to my new local mechanic looms.

Tom B

Guru
Snapped a gear valve on the MTB yesterday so had a quick look at it today with a view to making sure I've got the bits I need.

It's a sram GX rear mech on a 2X setup. Despite being supposedly a clutch mech it throws the chain off alarmingly and annoyingly often. Including a fart yesterday where it locked and left me with loads of loose chain. It isn't the keenest precisest shifter and all in all my 25yr old 7x3 is probably less trouble. And it really dislikes back pedaling.

Anyway it seems there is a huge amount of waggle in the various pivots of the mech easily enough to move it a cog or two. Looking online it seems a common complaint on these mechs (perhaps sram in general).

So I'm probably looking to change the mech at some point too, probably for Shimano with which I'm more familiar (so the shifter too). Was surprised to find how little 10spd there was with stock. I knew things were bad at the moment but still was surprised.

I'll probably stick a cable in for now and sort it once chrimbo bills are paid.

On the other bike I've cleaned and regressed the front hub. Probably for the last time on that one, it's on about 25k the cups are beyond goosed. The mother in law has ordered me a new superstar V6 hub for Christmas. She's a dab hand on the tools and fancies herself as a wood worker so I keep hinting she needs to make one of those wooden trying stands that get posted here.

Replaced a lost stud in my schwalbe winter tyres ready for the ice and cleaned and tittivated the wheels they're on.

Glued some conduit together and then that to the shed to house the cables for my new outside lights. Going to put them on a timer mounted in the consumer unit. They total 6watts the power saving will probably never pay for the timer and bits, but I just can't leave them dayburning and going to she shed to turn them on/off is a faff.

While I had the araldite out I glued a strip over the cracked bit of my sks chromo mudguards. It ain't pretty, and it might not last but we'll see.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Started working on the Raleigh I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Frame cleaned with autosol to remove 40+ years of grime and wheels out. Front wheel re-greased as best I could as it's a dynamo and the rear's cleaned with the internals soaking - gear oil in later.

I'm not sure it's been cleaned since some sort of modifications with shopper shifters / saddle / chain protector. The bike's not moved in 14 years at least and I was told it could have been 30 years since last used.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thought I'd change the 16 tooth sprocket on the Sturmey Archer on my Kingpin to something bigger to help when loaded with shopping. I checked my various spare hubs, one has an 18 tooth, hurrah, so I whipped it off. Took KP rear wheel off, got sprocket off - it's flat whereas the other is dished. :sad: So reassemble everything to how it was. At least it didn't take long.
Can you get round that by rearranging the spacer washers?

Pre-ride check revealed a brake block askew, so sorted that and checked the others for tightness.
Gave brake tracks a good clean while I was at it.
Raised saddle a few mm to compensate for the heavier footwear I'll be wearing until warmer weather returns.
Added a piece of inner tube to bars (damn, these things are SO useful!) to stop my front light from rotating under the influence of cattle grids...

Top Bottom