What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Treated my 65 Moulton to a new Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub, new crankset, sealed BB, new chain

Treated my 65 Moulton to a new Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub, new crankset, sealed BB, new chain View attachment 557508
View attachment 557509

View attachment 557510
Do you suffer any heel strike on the plastic toggle-chain cover? Reason I ask, my Raleigh Twenty has this issue, just occasionally I get heel strike. Could always line it up with the seat stay rather than the chain stay on mine, but not an option on yours really. Anyways - splendid looking bike - well done :okay:

Drzdave58

Über Member
Do you suffer any heel strike on the plastic toggle-chain cover? Reason I ask, my Raleigh Twenty has this issue, just occasionally I get heel strike. Could always line it up with the seat stay rather than the chain stay on mine, but not an option on yours really. Anyways - splendid looking bike - well done :okay:
No...no heel strike...u could install pedal extenders on yours..it would bring your feet out another inch.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Finished the paint job on the Raleigh Competition G.S., except for the three coats of clear that go on over the decals. When I order the decals, and they arrive and are applied, then it will get three coats of clear, the fine old Campagnolo parts I have collected will be cleaned, as well as the brakes and stem. Everything will get polished and the bicycle will be as new again. I have also sourced an old set of Cinelli handlebars to go with the Raleigh stem, replacing the TTT time trialing bars. Basic Black looks pretty good.
1605181695613.png

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1605121137560.png

At the weekend, I finished this, my drop-bar touring bicycle with 26" wheels, made from an old mountain bike that was a bit too tall for off road delights.

carvelos

Forks have arrived, cheap and black and shiny just as promised. The caustic soda for melting seatpost has to be about the most fun you can have whilst burning skin, losing eyesight and creating both toxic black froth and hydrogen gas in a small shed. I used to do health and safety training so feel very conversant in the damage I could cause and have rated my risk assessment as red and terrifying defcon1. Here is a crappy picture of the seatpost before the chemical torture begins and after I proved heat was ineffective View attachment 555826

View attachment 555828

and the forks that weigh five stone: View attachment 555826 View attachment 555828
all that was left of a 8" seatpost that surrendered to caustic soda. THE BEST thing I hav ever done!!
melted post.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bits and pieces today;
  • Changed a tube in the new Raleigh arrival so I could give it a test-ride, cleaned it a bit further as well
  • Sorted the new Shimano 7000 front derailleur on the NeilPryde Nazare and it's now going to be used as a Zwift-specific bike
  • New chain on my son's BeOne Raw Comp
  • And fitted a new double-threaded spoke onto a HED carbon deep section front wheel I'd picked up as 'broken', which required removing and re-fitting the bearings. It's a non-aero spoke but the only one I could find, so I bought a second as a spare. All done, trued and tubular tyre re-stuck down. Not bad for a £25 spend.
That leaves the Raleigh project to do and an Ultegra 6600 - Dura-Ace 7900 rear derailleur and crankset upgrade on my son's TT bike. We could go 11 speed but have decided not to for now. And the Dawes Kingpin modified project to build, although the wheels are still in bits for that.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Guru
I've had my commuter out of action for a few weeks (not that it matters a great deal during lockdown :laugh:) due to a rubbing front caliper. I had tried all the usual culprits so ordered some new cup and cones washers to see if that helped. They arrived yesterday, and this evening I got a chance to play again so popped them on. It made a slightly difference but still rubbing 🤔

The caliper is almost brand new, a Hope RX4 post mount 4 piston jobby, and has rubbed since it was fitted. Cracking piece of kit when working and since I have several sets I know they're usually reliable and easy to adjust. With that in mind I removed it again and inspected the fork posts a bit more closely. This revealed the mounting surface wasn't perfectly square to the rotor surface, no wonder I couldn't get them set up :shy: I don't own the proper kit for re-facing them but I do own several files and a calibrated eye so I set to squaring them up :whistle: 10 mins later and after a few trial fits I had the caliper refitted and the rotor spinning unobstructed :okay: Hopefully I'll get a chance to pop in to work at some point soon to test it all out, but I'm not expecting any problems now its all aligned properly.

I can't work out why the old SRAM calipers didn't rub, unless the mounting surfaces on those were wonky in the opposite direction and countered it :laugh: Maybe they did rub and I just didn't notice - it's a dynamo hub so theres a bit of drag from the front anyway but I can't imagine I've not noticed it in the ~2000 miles I ran the old brakes :wacko::laugh:

Not some much fettling but cleared a space in garage for wife’s ‘small’ rowing machine. Then built it....
Concept 2 is actually 9ft x 4ft space needed so a fair chunk of my garage taken now😒

Top Bottom