What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carvelos

If this was a dream I can't imagine what my waking hours would be like!
Yes there will be pics.................. (or blood)
Forks have arrived, cheap and black and shiny just as promised. The caustic soda for melting seatpost has to be about the most fun you can have whilst burning skin, losing eyesight and creating both toxic black froth and hydrogen gas in a small shed. I used to do health and safety training so feel very conversant in the damage I could cause and have rated my risk assessment as red and terrifying defcon1. Here is a crappy picture of the seatpost before the chemical torture begins and after I proved heat was ineffective

and the forks that weigh five stone:
bad seatpost.jpg
perfect forks and frame.jpg

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
Forks have arrived, cheap and black and shiny just as promised. The caustic soda for melting seatpost has to be about the most fun you can have whilst burning skin, losing eyesight and creating both toxic black froth and hydrogen gas in a small shed. I used to do health and safety training so feel very conversant in the damage I could cause and have rated my risk assessment as red and terrifying defcon1. Here is a crappy picture of the seatpost before the chemical torture begins and after I proved heat was ineffective View attachment 555826

View attachment 555828

and the forks that weigh five stone: View attachment 555826 View attachment 555828
oh yeah working with caustic soda as my dad did for years ruins your lungs take care for your future lifespan😣

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I've been doing quite a lot of fettling these past few days.
Having received my two new alloy wheels for the Carlton from BankruptBikeParts, I've got them fitted at last.
Among the many challenges, I had to sort out various axles, bearings, cones and locknuts.
Sounds simple ... Not so.
I find I've two sizes of locknuts .... 1/2 inch, for which I have a suitable open-ended spanner, and 15mm.
Well I have plenty of 15mm spanners, but this one needed to be less than 3mm thick.
After half an hour in my scratching boxes, I got a piece of 3/32 inch gauge plate and made one.
Simples !

Attachments

• DSC03922.JPG
    DSC03922.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC03924.JPG
    DSC03924.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Johnsco

Old Fettler
The new front wheel went into the 100mm OLD with no problems.
The rear wheel took quite a bit of fiddling and swapping round of various lock-nuts and distance pieces to get the set correct on the 120mm OLD.
It took several tries to get the alignment and the setting of the rear DR mech correct.
The DR mech is in poor shape, and may be the next job.
That's the subject of another post.
Since I got the wheels on, the weather has been dreadful, and I've only been able to try them briefly.
All appears to be good.
The old Carlton has a new spring in its step.
Many thanks BankruptBikeParts..

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Well-worth it and not a lot of money.
Here's the ebay link I used.
You might even get them cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Prepping the Ribble CGR for winter and a possible return to commuting.

Have ridden the bike over summer with 700c wheels and road tyres
original.jpg

Now with winter upon us, i decided to revert with the 650b wheels and gravel tyres the bike came with. Also bought some SKS mudguards to fit. And what a ball ache they proved to be!

The mudguards come with fixtures to connect to a bike with pivot brakes. The CGR does not have these and instead has bolts situated on the underside of the forks and rear bridge. The front mudguard has a bracket riveted to the guard. I had sawn off the upright part of this bracket and drilled out one of the rivets This allowed me to bolt under the forks.
Front in place.jpg

The rear bracket snaps onto the guard. Made of plastic and was a little easier to fettle.
Original Bridge.jpg
adapted bridge.jpg

Fixed under the bridge
bridge in situ.jpg

Guards in place and 650b wheels back on
Gravel with Mudguards.jpg

Guards are in Matt Black and blend well with forks and other matt black components. Getting them centered is a pain and they seem to move out of alignment as soon as you look at them. Need to add spacers to front guard to bring level with wheel, just need to source a longer bolt.

carvelos

Forks have arrived, cheap and black and shiny just as promised. The caustic soda for melting seatpost has to be about the most fun you can have whilst burning skin, losing eyesight and creating both toxic black froth and hydrogen gas in a small shed. I used to do health and safety training so feel very conversant in the damage I could cause and have rated my risk assessment as red and terrifying defcon1. Here is a crappy picture of the seatpost before the chemical torture begins and after I proved heat was ineffective View attachment 555826

View attachment 555828

and the forks that weigh five stone: View attachment 555826 View attachment 555828
Latest update, entire shed floor now coated in expired caustic soda juice, seatpost gettng really thin as it is eaten away. Big flush out on Saturday and then a fresh batch to pour down. I love it!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The new clark's brake shoes and pads fitted easily into my old Weinmann 730 centre pulls.
What a difference - Especially in the wet.
I used them for the first time today in wet conditions.
1000 per cent improvement.
Which ones are you using? I just ordered some of the lightweight shoes for a V braked folding bike after discovering I had no blocks left at last and the ones on that bike are worn out.

I also replaced the cassette on the folding bike and regreased the wheel bearings while they were easy to access. Surprisingly clean but I guess it's because the folding bike does nothing like the miles of the others.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Which ones are you using? I just ordered some of the lightweight shoes for a V braked folding bike after discovering I had no blocks left at last and the ones on that bike are worn out.

I also replaced the cassette on the folding bike and regreased the wheel bearings while they were easy to access. Surprisingly clean but I guess it's because the folding bike does nothing like the miles of the others.
This is the link for the Clark's brake pads.
You might get them cheaper, but they came quickly and well-packed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Top Bottom